2022 NLCS- Phillies/Padres

flavum

14 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Will we ever get bored of the never ending coulda woulda shoulda with the Sox?

I'm more upset about not beating the Phillies offer for Schwarber than I am for Harper. That Harper contract was a huge risk. It's paying off, and I wouldn't have been upset if the Sox had taken that risk, but man getting Schwarber was an absolute no-brainer.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I'm more upset about not beating the Phillies offer for Schwarber than I am for Harper. That Harper contract was a huge risk. It's paying off, and I wouldn't have been upset if the Sox had taken that risk, but man getting Schwarber was an absolute no-brainer.

Any big, long-term deal is a risk.  But as far as big, long-term deals go, that was one of the least risky I can remember.  It's Bryce f'ing Harper - possibly the biggest name in baseball.  The immediate marketing opportunities and national attention offset much of the financial risk.  Plus he was in his mid-20s, left-handed, and locking down a position that we both needed filled and that tends to allow its occupants to age gracefully.  Plus his yearly salary wasn't even all that high.  Machado with all his dickishness, and playing a position where we had much less need, was a bigger risk, for example.

5 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Any big, long-term deal is a risk.  But as far as big, long-term deals go, that was one of the least risky I can remember.  It's Bryce f'ing Harper - possibly the biggest name in baseball.  The immediate marketing opportunities and national attention offset much of the financial risk.  Plus he was in his mid-20s, left-handed, and locking down a position that we both needed filled and that tends to allow its occupants to age gracefully.  Plus his yearly salary wasn't even all that high.  Machado with all his dickishness, and playing a position where we had much less need, was a bigger risk, for example.

Yep. Merchandise and attendance going up would have been worth it alone.

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

One of the few guys that lived up to a contract.

Somehow I think that wouldn't happen in a Sox uniform.

Schwarber's value is post season performances.   Amazing how many superstars in baseball can't get it done in the post season.

Edited by kitekrazy