A Season of Resurrection

35thstreetswarm

As much as watching the playoffs mostly just triggers my anger at the FO over the '22 season, I'm a little encouraged by the fact that these playoffs are studded with teams whose rebuilds/construction were considered suspect at best -- and failures at worst -- at various points in recent history.  Put aside the NL and AL superteams in the Dodgers and Astros, and the creepy-consistent Cardinals.  The Phillies were a cautionary tale until as recently as last year -- proof that you can try a total rebuild and still completely blow it.  Last Fall the Padres were below .500, out of the playoffs, left for dead, and proof to some that splashy FA signings were fool's gold.  The Mets were similar, eight games below .500 and looking mired in high-rent, Met-style mediocrity. Mariners looked like they had wasted money and were headed in the wrong direction.  Last year's Braves won the World Series a few months after they themselves were left for dead.  Even the Yankees were out of playoff contention for much of last year, ultimately getting bounced in the play-in and leaving doubt about their roster construction.  I recognize there are plenty of things about this organization that distinguish it from any one of those examples, (I know -- "big free agent signings!") but boy things sure can change quickly in this league.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:02 PM, 35thstreetswarm said:

As much as watching the playoffs mostly just triggers my anger at the FO over the '22 season, I'm a little encouraged by the fact that these playoffs are studded with teams whose rebuilds/construction were considered suspect at best -- and failures at worst -- at various points in recent history.  Put aside the NL and AL superteams in the Dodgers and Astros, and the creepy-consistent Cardinals.  The Phillies were a cautionary tale until as recently as last year -- proof that you can try a total rebuild and still completely blow it.  Last Fall the Padres were below .500, out of the playoffs, left for dead, and proof to some that splashy FA signings were fool's gold.  The Mets were similar, eight games below .500 and looking mired in high-rent, Met-style mediocrity. Mariners looked like they had wasted money and were headed in the wrong direction.  Last year's Braves won the World Series a few months after they themselves were left for dead.  Even the Yankees were out of playoff contention for much of last year, ultimately getting bounced in the play-in and leaving doubt about their roster construction.  I recognize there are plenty of things about this organization that distinguish it from any one of those examples, (I know -- "big free agent signings!") but boy things sure can change quickly in this league.

If a team is willing to change.....are the White Sox willing to make a change or just hope players turn things around? 

The Padres continued to add after last season as did the Mariners. 

• Like 1