No Soxfest in 2023

fathom

An organization that simply doesn’t want to be questioned or asked about accountability of the 2022 season. When is the last time Jerry actually addressed the media? The whole front office hides from the press and pretends like none of the issues are there. They all are a damn joke

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Save it.   I turned away season tickets, I don't know how anyone would be willing to give these assholes  anymore $$$ for a stupid fanfest. 

Play better baseball, that's all I'm asking for. 

It’s not just money that goes to the team. There are a lot of local vendors that sell memorabilia and the garage sale which goes to charity. I get it’s not for everyone, but it’s a nice event to mark on the calendar to build excitement for ST.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

An organization that simply doesn’t want to be questioned or asked about accountability of the 2022 season. When is the last time Jerry actually addressed the media? The whole front office hides from the press and pretends like none of the issues are there. They all are a damn joke

One of the folks I've been speaking with for a story had this to say about JR:

“JR has become oblivious to things and what he’s allowed to happen is sad. He’s probably the most successful owner in Chicago sports history given the Bulls titles and the White Sox one which is dear to his heart, but what has happened the last two years is just sad. He is out-of-touch. And even worse he’s inaccessible. He’s either afraid of having to answer questions or he’s incapable of doing so.”

8 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Well they already told us they weren’t spending when TLR hung them up 

One interesting thing to note about TLR's farewell press conference. When Tony was speaking Hahn wasn't in the room, JR was, but not Hahn. he didn't show up until after Tony finished and left.

I’m gonna guess there is a backlog of conferences finally booking and Sox were cheap and didn’t care that much anyway.

But boy, what a bunch of cowards. Would have loved Hahn to pull out his “some thought I should have been executive of the year!” Line

56 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Lol.  So you can wait in line to get an autograph from somebody younger than yourself of course!

Man, y’all post on a baseball message board.  We’re all fuckin dorks, who cares?    If they’re not hurting anyone, let people like what they like.

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, bmags said:

I’m gonna guess there is a backlog of conferences finally booking and Sox were cheap and didn’t care that much anyway.

But boy, what a bunch of cowards. Would have loved Hahn to pull out his “some thought I should have been executive of the year!” Line

Because as we all know there is no better place for a big corporate retreat than…January in Chicago. How could the hotels not be overbooked to visit that?

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Because as we all know there is no better place for a big corporate retreat than…January in Chicago. How could the hotels not be overbooked to visit that?

There are only a handful of places within the city that would be a fit for Sox fest so yes changes in demand can affect it. They aren’t competing with hotel ballroom space. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bmags said:

There are only a handful of places within the city that would be a fit for Sox fest so yes changes in demand can affect it. They aren’t competing with hotel ballroom space. 

Downtown hotels book events months and years in advance and COVID was an enormous monkey wrench for host venues.  If an org like a professional baseball team couldn’t get their preferred space they really didn’t try hard enough - assuming they were genuinely intent on making it happen.     

18 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Why would you leave Nashville for Chicago? That's an awesome town! I was down there a month ago or so for a Pearl Jam show.

Downtown Nashville is great, but hated living in the suburbs there and simply missed everything Chicago (places, people, food, etc.).  Just couldn’t see living there forever and unfortunately for whatever reason going to Sox games is one of my favorite things in the world.  I’ve always dreamed of taking my two young sons to Sox games on a regular basis and have them share in this passion with me.  Despite the s%*# show that is the Sox over the past couple months (and cancelling SoxFest is a big one), moving back to Chicago was the best decision in my life.  For all its warts, I fucking love every corner of this place.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

11 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Downtown hotels book events months and years in advance and COVID was an enormous monkey wrench for host venues.  If an org like a professional baseball team couldn’t get their preferred space they really didn’t try hard enough - assuming they were genuinely intent on making it happen.     

They definitely didn’t try very hard (cubs are holding it at the Sheraton), but when you skip 3 years and recently changed your relationship (they moved to McCormick in 2020 which was pretty terrible) I can see them getting bumped in preference and throwing up their hands if they couldn’t get their previous Hilton or McCormick places. 

I think part of McCormick was expecting bigger crowds too so they may have ruled it out anyway.

Regardless, ask any STH if they felt the Sox were treating them as important and special this year. this just carries forward the trend of this franchises descent into the fetal position.

• Like 1