Greenberg on Sox fest...

Lip Man 1

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The other thing this could mean is that a real sell off is about to happen,  so no one will be left for the Fest.

A major sell off would be the only reason to consider canceling and that still didn’t stop them having SoxFest during the initial rebuild years.  To me, it still comes down to a general cowardice and the risk of exposing the competing factions within the organization.  Jerry simply doesn’t want to bring more attention to the insanity that was Tony La Russa.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

At the very least, they could have provided a real reason instead of many factors. The Cubs having one is a bad look for the Sox. If they are afraid of fans questions and comments, they are proving they aren’t worthy of their positions.

They provided several reasons, just didn’t go into much detail on them 😉

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A major sell off would be the only reason to consider canceling and that still didn’t stop them having SoxFest during the initial rebuild years.  To me, it still comes down to a general cowardice and the risk of exposing the competing factions within the organization.  Jerry simply doesn’t want to bring more attention to the insanity that was Tony La Russa.

Are we talking trading off Cease for a bunch of prospects, or moving bad contracts like Moncada, and basically paying another team to take it on?

6 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Are we talking trading off Cease for a bunch of prospects, or moving bad contracts like Moncada, and basically paying another team to take it on?

To me it would have to be a true blow-up, which means trading guys like Cease & Anderson plus many others.  I don’t see any chance of that happening though given where Jerry is at in his life.  Not trying to dark, but who knows if Jerry would even be alive after another rebuild.  But to me, that’s the only excuse for not holding SoxFest.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To me it would have to be a true blow-up, which means trading guys like Cease & Anderson plus many others.  I don’t see any chance of that happening though given where Jerry is at in his life.  Not trying to dark, but who knows if Jerry would even be alive after another rebuild.  But to me, that’s the only excuse for not holding SoxFest.

Jerry's wallet always comes before the White Sox. You might be on to something. He may be cutting his losses on this whole thing. That would explain abandoning Soxfest.  You could almost see a massive trade with the Dodgers potentially happening, with Cease and a bunch of contracts Jerry wants to be rid of attached to the deal, and some big prospects coming back.

I really hope this isn't the case. What scares me is - Jerry may have made a lot more money per year in the 'rebuilding years' than he has in the compete years - where they haven't really competed much. Attendance is up, but probably not even close enough to make up for the payroll rise (regardless of how foolishly the payroll was allocated).

But going back to your comment about where he is in life. That might be why he does it. He may say, hey we teied but the rebuild failed. Lets cut our losses and get back to making more money, and setting up the franchise to be in good shape (financially) for when his days are over?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That rebuild was popular.  This one would not be.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

If there was a year to have SoxFest, 2023 would be the year. Yes, they would take some heat, but this would be a time to regain at least gain some trust with the fan base. In addition, a good off-season would help too. But if they are not going to have SoxFest, they could do one other thing: tell Steve Stone to shut up.

• Like 1

It was a frustrating year which equates to unhappy fans.  I think it probably means that there will be no splash move or significant additions which they could trumpet which will further frustrate the fan base.  They are avoiding what would likely be a very negative situation.  Gutless but calculated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sarava said:

I have no trust in this organization to get it right. 

Plus you have to somehow fill those holes. Probably past their prime NL players and confuse fans of another rebuild.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The other thing this could mean is that a real sell off is about to happen,  so no one will be left for the Fest.

Especially if that was what they were doing, they should be holding this type of event.

Let the fans vent, it’s well deserved. Then make sure lots of 8 year old kids meet Colas and Montgomery so that even if the team is struggling maybe people come to a few games to see the guy who they met.

Failing to do events like this is a great way to let the fan base die off. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2022 at 8:57 AM, Dick Allen said:

At the very least, they could have provided a real reason instead of many factors. The Cubs having one is a bad look for the Sox. If they are afraid of fans questions and comments, they are proving they aren’t worthy of their positions.

I don't really care for Ricketts and I truly enjoyed watching the video where the Cubbie fans booed him over the Marquee Network.  But I will give him credit for going in front of the fans, although I am not sure how much credit he deserves because he clearly had no clue that the new network was not going to be popular.  But for Hahn and crew, they know quite well that people are unhappy.  It is just gutless to cancel the fan convention.  They screwed up and should be able to take some damn heat from the faithful....many people would be fired for how lousy this "window of contention" has been going so far.  The real world usually expects results....obviously the White Sox organization does not.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Can’t we just manage by committee from Soxtalk? Soxtalk California branch can handle the West coast games, the guy who lives in Seattle can handle when they play in Seattle, the guy who lives in/near Minneapolis can manage when they are in to play the Twins, Soxtalk Chicagoland area gets home games/when they play the Cubs, and naturally, Greg gets to manage when they are in KC.

EDIT: oops, wrong thread.

I endorse this message....even if it was in the wrong thread.

• Haha 1