2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

21 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think Abreu deserves to win even if seeing him in Houston would be tough. I'm not sure why he would want to sign with the Cubs unless he's set on staying in Chicago.

This is where I am too.  I want him to go somewhere to win, so long as it's not another team in the AL Central. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Nah.  Reinsdorf hates the Cubs more than anything.  He thinks they take money out of his pocket and his favorite player playing for his mortal enemy while his team goes thru another spectacular failure might be enough for him to finally call it quits or at least kick Hahn to the curb for allowing it to happen.  

Maybe him hating the Cubs instead of the rest of the division has contributed to his teams making the playoffs 7 times in 40 years of ownership 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

It's fascinating what it takes to get fired from the White Sox. Larry Himes builds a 94 win team with the lowest payroll in baseball, gets canned. OK, he's known to be miserable and JR doesn't like him, but fired? Really? Gene Lamont was a pretty good manager. Coming off 2 consecutive division titles, the only White Sox manager ever to do this, his GM guts his team and makes him rely on washed up guys like Sabo and Kruk and Dibble and Stieb. He gets canned quickly. Renteria does what he is supposed to do, gets the rebuild into the playoffs, but only has 2 starters. They obviously lose, everyone would have lost, he's canned. RH, LaRussa, the list is long, of White Sox employees maybe not even mediocre at their jobs with basically lifetime security. It is probably the biggest problem with the organization. Everyone plays favorites, but JR takes it way too far.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's fascinating what it takes to get fired from the White Sox. Larry Himes builds a 94 win team with the lowest payroll in baseball, gets canned. OK, he's known to be miserable and JR doesn't like him, but fired? Really? Gene Lamont was a pretty good manager. Coming off 2 consecutive division titles, the only White Sox manager ever to do this, his GM guts his team and makes him rely on washed up guys like Sabo and Kruk and Dibble and Stieb. He gets canned quickly. Renteria does what he is supposed to do, gets the rebuild into the playoffs, but only has 2 starters. They obviously lose, everyone would have lost, he's canned. RH, LaRussa, the list is long, of White Sox employees maybe not even mediocre at their jobs with basically lifetime security. It is probably the biggest problem with the organization. Everyone plays favorites, but JR takes it way too far.

nice post. I have your jersey in my closet. I also have a copy of baseball digest from 1972.

guess who is on the cover?

Some Players available for Rule 5 that could be interesting since they are advanced at least to AA. All are within their current team’s Top 30 prospects:

Diamondbacks - OF Dominic Canzone

Braves - RHP Victor Vodnik

Tigers - SS Wenceel Perez

Tigers - OF Parker Meadows

Tigers - 3b Andre Lipcius

Astros - OF Corey Julks

Brewers - RHP Cam Robinson 

Phillies - LHP Erik Miller

Pirates - OF Matt Gorski

Padres - RHP Moises Lugo

Rangers - RHP Mason Englert

12 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Stone Garrett used to be a bit of a stick.

EDIT: Hold up, he's coming off 27 games of 131 wRC+ for the Dbacks. Couldn't find spot or a taker?

Stone Garrett was an impressive MILB HR hitter and plays all 3 OF position. Don't know anything about him as a fielder . Lots of holes in his swing ,K's a ton, but definitely intriguing. I'd be looking to pick him up if he's a decent fielder.

Edit: Read some scouting reports, very fast , built like a linebacker. Defense seems fine. The kind of guy Kenny would have loved , much like Courtney Hawkins only Garrett has fulfilled some of that raw athlete stuff into being a pretty toolsy player. Get him around Tim Anderson for guidance of athlete turned baseball player. Most of this is from when he was 18, he's almost 27 now so as a 4th OF type he seems to fit the bill with upside. Too bad he isn't LH but to replace Engel I'd take him in a heartbeat over paying Kiermaier.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

35 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Stone Garrett was an impressive MILB HR hitter and plays all 3 OF position. Don't know anything about him as a fielder . Lots of holes in his swing ,K's a ton, but definitely intriguing. I'd be looking to pick him up if he's a decent fielder.

Edit: Read some scouting reports, very fast , built like a linebacker. Defense seems fine. The kind of guy Kenny would have loved , much like Courtney Hawkins only Garrett has fulfilled some of that raw athlete stuff into being a pretty toolsy player. Get him around Tim Anderson for guidance of athlete turned baseball player. Most of this is from when he was 18, he's almost 27 now so as a 4th OF type he seems to fit the bill with upside. Too bad he isn't LH but to replace Engel I'd take him in a heartbeat over paying Kiermaier.

They do need a right-handed hitting (preferable 4th) OF, assuming they non-tender Engel.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

With the White Sox adding Nate Fisher on a MiLB deal, they now have 6 lefties in the roster mix.  (Bummer, Diekman, Crochet, Banks, Sousa)  I wonder if one of the higher level guys is a trade potential out of Bum, Diekman or Crochet?

Man, I'd hate to rely on either Sousa or Banks next year. Those guys are closer to "fat I'd trim on a potential 40-man roster crunch when we add guys" than guys I want to keep in the pen. Crochet could be an option to open the year in the minors (will he be ready by start of the year?).