2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Man, I'd hate to rely on either Sousa or Banks next year. Those guys are closer to "fat I'd trim on a potential 40-man roster crunch when we add guys" than guys I want to keep in the pen. Crochet could be an option to open the year in the minors (will he be ready by start of the year?).

The way I look at it is that even if you move one of them, you still have the other two as your top lefties who fine for MLB pens as far as lefties go, and then Banks and Sousa would either be the last guy on the roster as a long man, or in AAA in case of injury.

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I was thinking Winker could be a piece going back to Seattle to DH. I think their entire lineup was right-handed (before the trade).

Yeah, who the hell are the Blue Jays gonna play in the OF? Are they gonna sign 2 OFers? 

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Man, I'd hate to rely on either Sousa or Banks next year. Those guys are closer to "fat I'd trim on a potential 40-man roster crunch when we add guys" than guys I want to keep in the pen. Crochet could be an option to open the year in the minors (will he be ready by start of the year?).

For Crochet, all the team has said is he's on schedule. Recent experience league with with TJS has 0 players in the last 3 years who had TJS coming back in fewer than 14 months and the large majority either taking 16+ months or having setbacks that push them past 18 months, which strongly suggests to me he will not be ready to start the year. 

Just now, chw42 said:

Yeah, who the hell are the Blue Jays gonna play in the OF? Are they gonna sign 2 OFers? 

They just released two yesterday before this trade.  Opening up more time for Biggio is the only thing that comes to mind.  But I don't know if he's actually good.  I don't know who they have in their system either.  The need to get more left handed, but these are curious moves IMO.

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Seems a little light, like we coud actually have matched that.  I would have liked to see Hernandez in a Sox uniform.  He seemed like a very good player that never got full acknowledgement because he was always in Guerrero's and Bichette's and even Biggio's shadows.  Oh well.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Another thing I wonder about is with the  Sox having two open roster spots right now, are they looking to claim some of these waiver guys.

The Sox would totally claim Raimel Tapia. I guess he's not bad as a 4th OFer. 

Just now, PorkChopExpress said:

Seems a little light, like we coud actually have matched that.  I would have liked to see Hernandez in a Sox uniform.  He seemed like a very good player that never got full acknowledgement because he was always in Guerrero's and Bichette's and even Biggio's shadows.  Oh well.

I agree that it feels light.  I would take Teo in a heartbeat, even though the Sox need LH power.

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The Sox would totally claim Raimel Tapia. I guess he's not bad as a 4th OFer. 

I'd take Stone Barrett. Not an established MLB guy . Did well in limited time with the D'backs. Speed and power hitting OF. Courtney Hawkins with MLB potential. Turning 27 soon. Power, speed, defense. He's RH.

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Lourdes Gurriel, Springer, and Whit Merrifield are currently listed from LF to RF on Roster Resource. They'll definitely add a left-handed bat.

I totally forgot about Gurriel. Merrifield is more of a utility guy, so I doubt they would want him in the OF full-time.