2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

I'll take Alek Thomas off Arizona's hands. What would it cost to get him?

Messing around before heading home, I got Thomas + a filler for Montgomery to work. 

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

I used this guy and it adds a back of the rotation pitcher. 
https://www.mlb.com/player/tommy-henry-674072?stats=career-r-pitching-minors&year=2022

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

God bless you Jerry DiPoto for making deals during Hot Stove season and trade deadline period.

Edit: doesn’t look like much for Lewis, though I didn’t want him anyway.

Given we have two OFs our roster you decide to start Colas opening day, this is a trade we should have made even if just for depth.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t realize his defensive had plummeted that much.  He played CF for the Mariners when he first came up.

Kind of weird how AZ. traded for the RH OF Lewis when they DFA Stone Garrett . Why give up a guy for a guy when you had a guy ?

Garrett was called up by Arizona in August and immediately let his presence be known. In 27 games, Garrett slashed .276/.309/.539 while putting up a 131 wRC+ and 0.5 fWAR.

Garrett has potential due to his mix of speed and raw power. However, there are legit concerns about his swing-and-miss tendencies and overall plate discipline, which manifested at the major league level in the form of a 32.1 strikeout percentage and 3.6 walk percentage. Still, considering the fact that he has options remaining and has proven he can handle major league pitching, there’s no reason to believe Garrett won’t be claimed and given a chance to earn a role next spring.

Which is why I want the Sox to claim him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Kind of weird how AZ. traded for the RH OF Lewis when they DFA Stone Garrett . Why give up a guy for a guy when you had a guy ?

Garrett was called up by Arizona in August and immediately let his presence be known. In 27 games, Garrett slashed .276/.309/.539 while putting up a 131 wRC+ and 0.5 fWAR.

Garrett has potential due to his mix of speed and raw power. However, there are legit concerns about his swing-and-miss tendencies and overall plate discipline, which manifested at the major league level in the form of a 32.1 strikeout percentage and 3.6 walk percentage. Still, considering the fact that he has options remaining and has proven he can handle major league pitching, there’s no reason to believe Garrett won’t be claimed and given a chance to earn a role next spring.

Which is why I want the Sox to claim him.

32 strike out rate with 0 walk potential? s%*# im sure Hahn is on the phone with him right now, hed fit right in

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

32 strike out rate with 0 walk potential? s%*# im sure Hahn is on the phone with him right now, hed fit right in

Maybe you missed the part about the speed,defense,power, 6 years of eligibility .5 fWar ,. 538 Slg% , .838 OPS and 136 OPS+,131 wRC+ in just 27 games, .568 slg. % and .900 OPS in AAA in 2022, and options left . Plenty of teams are going to be interested in this guy and Jimmy also thinks he should be on the Sox radar. Plenty of good hitters have high K rates but I suppose you rather have Adam Engel, Vaughn and Sheets in the OF . If he was a perfect player he'd be a superstar instead of DFA'd. But good job of focusing on the negatives !

Kyle Lewis  is a shell of his former self .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe you missed the part about the speed,defense,power, 6 years of eligibility .5 fWar ,. 538 Slg% , .838 OPS and 136 OPS+,131 wRC+ in just 27 games, .568 slg. % and .900 OPS in AAA in 2022, and options left . Plenty of teams are going to be interested in this guy and Jimmy also thinks he should be on the Sox radar. Plenty of good hitters have high K rates but I suppose you rather have Adam Engel, Vaughn and Sheets in the OF . If he was a perfect player he'd be a superstar instead of DFA'd. But good job of focusing on the negatives !

Kyle Lewis  is a shell of his former self .

I thought Garrett already got traded or claimed?

16 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I thought Garrett already got traded or claimed?

Not that I'm aware. Once DFA'd teams have a week to work out a deal with someone. There's still around 4 days left in that week.

I do know he hit his 1st MLB HR off of Cease and later against SF he hit one off of Rodon.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not that I'm aware. Once DFA'd teams have a week to work out a deal with someone. There's still around 4 days left in that week.

I do know he hit his 1st MLB HR off of Cease and later against SF he hit one off of Rodon.

Ah… well in that case, sign the fucker up.

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Ah… well in that case, sign the fucker up.

You don't run across guys like him often on the DFA list. He's got legit speed , defense and power. Would be tremendous depth piece for the Sox as a 4th OF defensive replacement and power PH off the bench with a chance to start if someone goes down and show off his skills .Still has rookie status , options and all his eligibility.

Definitely a pull hitter type but he did have a couple of singles through the right side and a double down the RF line that almost got out. But for the most part he pulls the ball for doubles and HRs. 11 of his 1st 20 hits with the Dbacks were for extra bases which is why he had that .538 SLG and 131 wRC+ in his 27 games with the Dbacks. 83 percentile in Sprint speed.

He'll be 27 in 5 days so maybe he can celebrate it as a White Sox !