2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

We now have four “outfielders” on the 40 man roster with three of them being Eloy, Sheets, & Vaughn.  I know Colas being added is just a matter of time, but Rick has his work ahead of him.

The extent to which the Sox are relying on someone who might not even be a consensus top 100 prospect to step in and immediately be a productive player is insane.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

The extent to which the Sox are relying on someone who might not even be a consensus top 100 prospect to step in and immediately be a productive player is insane.

Even fringe top 100 prospects are pretty rare for us, so of course Hahn is going to treat him as our savior.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

I could see Mendick being brought back on a minor league deal. How many orgs would give him a clearer path to big league playing time than the Sox? I doubt it's too many.

Maybe if he weren’t coming back from an ACL tear, but yeah not to many right now.  

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think it means they know they need a LH infielder and Leury is clogging up the bench with his redundant RH bat (he is only a switch-hitter by technicality).

He still had options right?  Not saying you’re wrong, but if he could be optioned he’s still decent UTIL depth. 

Edited by Tnetennba

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We now have four “outfielders” on the 40 man roster with three of them being Eloy, Sheets, & Vaughn.  I know Colas being added is just a matter of time, but Rick has his work ahead of him.

Which is funny because literally none of those players are really outfielders.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

He still had options right?  Not saying you’re wrong, but if he could be optioned he’s still decent UTIL depth. 

Totally forgot he had options.  No idea then.  Not like we don’t have enough spots on the 40 man roster to keep a useful backup infielder when healthy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Mendick I might want to keep around, Engel can go though. 

One other possibility is that Mendick might simply not be ready for spring training. If that was the case I wouldn’t have tendered him either.

Since he wasn’t mentioned I assume that means they offered arbitration to Ruiz?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I did not realize that about Mendick.

Arb 1 becomes a guaranteed contract if he’s on the roster on April 1, or I believe he may still be cuttable for a smaller fee at that point, but he becomes a free agent if sent down at any point other than a rehab assignment. 

They could have offered him arbitration and sent Sosa or Romy down when he came back, and they could have put him at AAA on a rehab assignment.