2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh for sure.  He should be attainable and would be a perfect fit, but I’ve already come to terms he won’t be happening this off-season.  Not being able to afford a lesser LH OF option on a 8 figure pillow contract is a far more egregious offense.

• TLR 1

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think is what we’re all expecting now.  A payroll in the $180M to $185M range, which probably means $15M to $20M to work with.

Expecting it doesn’t make it less ridiculous for a team supposedly competing. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

The Sox haven't had a 2nd basemen surpass 2 fWAR in a season since Tadahito in '05. I'm sure this will be the off-season Hahn & KW finally it right!

The Sox have started 16 position players accumulating 35 > 2.0 fWAR seasons since 2012.

• 6: Jose Abreu (2014, 2015, 2017, 2020, 2021, 2022)
  • 5: Tim Anderson (2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
  • 3: Adam Eaton (2014, 2015, 2016); Yoan Moncada (2019, 2020*, 2021); Luis Robert (2020*, 2021, 2022)
  • 2: Tyler Flowers (2014, 2015); Yasmani Grandal (2020*, 2021); James McCann (2019, 2020*); Alexi Ramirez (2013, 2014)
  • 1: Alejandro De Aza (2013); Adam Engel (2020*); Todd Frazier (2016); Avisail Garcia (2017); Eloy Jimenez (2020*); Alex Rios (2013); Yolmer Sanchez (2018)

The Sox have fielded 14 pitchers accumulating 25  > 2.0 fWAR seasons since 2012. 

White Sox > 2.0 bWAR 2013-2022

• 4: Jose Quintana (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) & Chris Sale (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
  • 3: Lucas Giolito (2019, 2020*, 2021)
  • 2: Dylan Cease (2021, 2022); Reynaldo Lopez (2018, 2019); Carlos Rodon (2016, 2021)
  • 1: Johnny Cueto (2022); Miguel Gonzalez (2016); Liam Hendriks (2021); Dallas Keuchel (2020*); Lance Lynn (2021);  Evan Marshall (2020*); Ivan Nova (2019); Jeff Samardzija (2015)

By Season:

• 2020: 11 Players (8 Batters & 3 Pitchers)
  • 2021: 10 Players (5 Batters & 5 Pitchers)
  • 2016: 7 Players (3 Batters & 4 Pitchers)
  • 2014: 6 Players (4 Batters & 2 Pitchers)
  • 2015: 6 Players (3 Batters & 3 Pitchers)
  • 2019: 6 Players (3 Batters & 3 Pitchers)
  • 2013: 5 Players (3 Batters & 2 Pitchers)
  • 2022: 4 Players (2 Batters & 2 Pitchers)
  • 2018: 3 Players (2 Batters & 1 Pitcher)
  • 2017: 2 Players (2 Batters)

Note: Over 0.74, or 0.8 fWAR, was the threshold used for the 2020 season due to the owners 102 game lockout. Abreu and Anderson exceeded 2.0 fWAR, even without this adjustment.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think is what we’re all expecting now.  A payroll in the $180M to $185M range, which probably means $15M to $20M to work with.

Good luck Hahn, no chance he can find a OF AND SP for $7.5M a piece. Even trading prospects, they still can't add to much with whomever they acquire.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which would be ridiculous. It shows he has no confidence in his people building a team that fans will be interested to watch at the ballpark or on TV. Why are those clowns still making decisions? This half assed approach has worked once in 42 seasons. Why is it still being attempted? White Sox fans deserve ownership committed to winning. If you are going to go for it, go for it. Or sell the team to someone who will. That way we all win. Sox fans can follow a team who believes winning is more important than be totally loyal to dear leader.And JR can spend the rest of his days counting his money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Which would be ridiculous. It shows he has no confidence in his people building a team that fans will be interested to watch at the ballpark or on TV. Why are those clowns still making decisions? This half assed approach has worked once in 42 seasons. Why is it still being attempted? White Sox fans deserve ownership committed to winning. If you are going to go for it, go for it. Or sell the team to someone who will. That way we all win. Sox fans can follow a team who believes winning is more important than be totally loyal to dear leader.And JR can spend the rest of his days counting his money.

We don't really know what amount of money JR will spend for the right player.  The FO bugs me frequently but spending the money isn't the problem IMO.  My hope is that with a new on field staff...they support them with the needed players.  Many teams win with much less money than JR has provided.  I take their willingness to part with Jose as a sign they are taking this in a new direction.  Usually, they cut bait a year late rather than a year early.

57 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I hope this means Lenyn Sosa will be given a fair shot. He struggles at new levels, but we saw what he could do once he adjusted to AAA. Unless they’re going to get Trey Turner or something, I say at least make him part of a mix and match.

I too hope Sosa is given every opportunity to earn the starting job.  But with Leury making way too much, and Romy and Yolbert ahead of him, who knows.  What I don’t want but fear will happen is Leury being handed the job because of that stupid contract. 

13 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

The extent to which the Sox are relying on someone who might not even be a consensus top 100 prospect to step in and immediately be a productive player is insane.

And they just keep doing this sort of thing over and over. Surely Andrew Vaughn can step in and be an adequate outfielder. Surely Gavin Sheets can be our big left handed bat (and an adequate outfielder lolol). 

If it works out, they’re the smartest guys in the room (and they’ll be sure to let you know it). And if it doesn’t work out, there aren’t really any repercussions, at least not ones they seem to care much about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

I hope this means Lenyn Sosa will be given a fair shot. He struggles at new levels, but we saw what he could do once he adjusted to AAA. Unless they’re going to get Trey Turner or something, I say at least make him part of a mix and match.

Sosa looked so so bad at the eye test in MLB. Like Romy wasn't good either, but you can see if being a MLBer. Sosa looked like we took a random college player and put him out there.

6 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Sosa looked so so bad at the eye test in MLB. Like Romy wasn't good either, but you can see if being a MLBer. Sosa looked like we took a random college player and put him out there.

Only 35 AB's and he came right up from Birmingham. You can't really hold that against him.

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I say it all the time, but if this was any other business the Sox would be down & out.  Jerry refuses to invest in his product to drive customer demand like any other business would.  Instead, he simply rolls forward with a budget that is more or less influenced by the prior season.  He refuses to take the smallest amount of risk because god forbid he and him shareholders took a tiny loss in a given season.  I knew he was a terrible businessman when the Sox never really pursued Bryce Harper.  Signing Bryce would have transformed the organization and made him money hand over fist, but Jerry had nightmares about having to pay a guy into late 30’s / early 40’s when he may no longer be productive.  This clown literally passed on a signing the most marketable star in baseball because the end of the contract may suck despite Jerry almost certainly being in the grave at that point.  Jerry is just a terrible fucking owner and I’m going to celebrate like it’s my wedding night again when he’s finally gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCsoxfan said:

I like the idea of Bellinger but the dude’s first love is smoking pot. Combining him with a guy addicted to Dominos pizza (Moncada) might be risky. 

Or it maybe it creates the synergy we need to unlock booth’s potential?

Edited by Chicago White Sox