2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

10 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Good luck Hahn, no chance he can find a OF AND SP for $7.5M a piece. Even trading prospects, they still can't add to much with whomever they acquire.

They can get much better defensively in the OF with upside for offense if they just work out some deals with DFA' guys and find out if Outman is available.

With better OF defense this team at least won't be losing so many games defensively and that works better in close games than terrible defense.

If you go with Colas, see if you can trade for Outman and bring in the DFA guys Garrett and Aquino. That's adding a good amount of OF defense 2 LH bats and 2 right handed bat all with power, defense and depth. Colas, Outman and Garrett could all be ROY candidates for pretty cheap depending on if the Dodgers are willing to move him for perhaps Hendriks.

Of course they could all bomb too but at least if they do bomb offensively, which I honestly doubt,  at least you're going to get pretty good defense and occasional HR's.

The reason all these guys are available is because they have some obvious holes in their games but defense and big time power are not among their holes.

Eloy can then be a full time DH and hopefully stay healthy and then you also have more full time big time power in the lineup a lot more. Vaughn at 1st might also hit for more power.

Hahn has to show a pulse soon  though .

Spend the little money you have on pitching. Trade Hendriks., If you want to take your chances with Adam Frazier at 2nd base thats ok if getting him doesn't interfere with most of your money spent on pitching. But otherwise its Romy or Sosa. Of course a few guys from the 40 might be removed in trading for the DFA guys but I like starting with upgrading the defense and power with younger guys for cheap and spending money on pitching while subtracting the money from the BP .

That will hurt the BP some but Lopez to closer and work on the middle relief depth by trolling for cheap upgrades there also.

Not exciting but it's what needs to be done. Plug defensive holes in the OF, get younger, hope the core gets larger with Colas and Outman and perhaps Garrett. Hit more HR's, allocate funds away from the pen and into starting pitching and pray for bounce backs, health and a Cease-like progression from Kopech.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

Sign Bellinger to a 1/2 season contract 7 million. 8 million option for second half. 1 million mutual buyout.

Buy a little time for Colas. If CB is toast buy him out. Maybe his release wakes him up. If he bounces back,

he'll make a ton from somebody else in July.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, zisk said:

Sign Bellinger to a 1/2 season contract 7 million. 8 million option for second half. 1 million mutual buyout.

Buy a little time for Colas. If CB is toast buy him out. Maybe his release wakes him up. If he bounces back,

he'll make a ton from somebody else in July.

Hahn? Is that you?

10 hours ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

My money is he'll stay in NY. Probably trying to get the largest offer possible

Guys that tall generally don’t age well. For players 6 foot 6 and taller, Dave Winfield is the all time post 30 WAR leader at 26. Hawks buddy Frank Howard is next at 17. 3rd place is Giancarlo Stanton at 3.8. I would think Judge will eventually be at the top, but It’s a big risk.

50 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Guys that tall generally don’t age well. For players 6 foot 6 and taller, Dave Winfield is the all time post 30 WAR leader at 26. Hawks buddy Frank Howard is next at 17. 3rd place is Giancarlo Stanton at 3.8. I would think Judge will eventually be at the top, but It’s a big risk.

Presumably this has excluded pitchers?

Question is, how many guys meet your standard of being really good in their 20s and that tall?

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Presumably this has excluded pitchers?

Question is, how many guys meet your standard of being really good in their 20s and that tall?

Don’t know but probably not very many. Winfield is a HOFer, and if Judge matches him a team will be overpaying him quite a bit. He played until he was 44 or 45. Hitters don’t age as well today. I think because of the max effort pitching movement. Plus one would suspect his defense will decline. I would love to have hi for 2 or 3 years, but the last few years of his deal, the team that gets him, and their fans, will be counting down to its expiration.

38 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I really would love to try and get Alek Thomas.  Apparently they're looking for big league ready pitching or right handed pop.

I wonder if a Crochet + Ramos (works via simulator) would interest them? 

Nothing like giving up a former 1st round pick and fringe top 100 prospect for a guy they could have just drafted! But they had to have Steele Walker!

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Nothing like giving up a former 1st round pick and fringe top 100 prospect for a guy they could have just drafted! But they had to have Steele Walker!

The one instance where the Sox don't go the nepotism route or just bring in whoever they're most comfortable with. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I really would love to try and get Alek Thomas.  Apparently they're looking for big league ready pitching or right handed pop.

I wonder if a Crochet + Ramos (works via simulator) would interest them? 

Thomas would be an awesome get, but I'd imagine they could do a lot better than that package. Fangraphs had him as the 21st best prospect when he lost eligibility mid-season. The performance in the majors was bad, but there was still some encouraging stuff in his profile from a plate discipline & batted ball standpoint.

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Thomas would be an awesome get, but I'd imagine they could do a lot better than that package. Fangraphs had him as the 21st best prospect when he lost eligibility mid-season. The performance in the majors was bad, but there was still some encouraging stuff in his profile from a plate discipline & batted ball standpoint.

The minors BABIP is slightly scary. I know a lot of good prospects have high BABIP in the minors, but always a little scary to see a guy without huge power benefitting from a BABIP above .370 consistently. Not saying he can’t still be really good…was just looking at his stats at that popped out at me.