2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I couldn’t be less “out” on Conforto

I want nothing to do with him. Than again I didn’t last offseason either. Only shot would be if he really took a lot less and if that was the case it probably means his health is just that bad. 

I prefer getting an athletic defensive outfielder. Even if it means trading some assets. And no Colas can’t be one of them - cause I want to have Colas too knowing he can start in minors and than earn his ticket later in the season. 

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This makes me think Gio is 100% getting moved now.

You would think his value is down. Keep him around, get the draft pick. JR can nickel and dime him during arbitration like last year.

Did the same with McDowell. 

But trading him makes no sense. No one is going to give you a package like he was the 2021 Gio. The only way the Sox win is if he is the 2021 Gio or even better. But an extension isn't going to happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You would think his value is down. Keep him around, get the draft pick. JR can nickel and dime him during arbitration like last year.

Did the same with McDowell. 

But trading him makes no sense. No one is going to give you a package like he was the 2021 Gio. The only way the Sox win is if he is the 2021 Gio or even better. But an extension isn't going to happen.

McDowell is probably a bad example though - he wasn't happy in Chicago and was a union rep. Gio has been nothing but 1st glass and a huge proponent / advocate of the org since he joined. I don't see him signing an extension - cause Sox don't pay huge LT money to pitchers (although I also wouldn't put it past them if he was open to a 3 year type deal with a 4th year option of sorts - and given how he pitched last year - it isn't impossible that could happen) - but he's an all around likeable, good clubhouse guy.  

So while I can see Gio being traded (and quite frankly wouldn't have an issue if they got the right value), it won't be because he has a key role on the union.  

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

McDowell is probably a bad example though - he wasn't happy in Chicago and was a union rep. Gio has been nothing but 1st glass and a huge proponent / advocate of the org since he joined. I don't see him signing an extension - cause Sox don't pay huge LT money to pitchers (although I also wouldn't put it past them if he was open to a 3 year type deal with a 4th year option of sorts - and given how he pitched last year - it isn't impossible that could happen) - but he's an all around likeable, good clubhouse guy.  

So while I can see Gio being traded (and quite frankly wouldn't have an issue if they got the right value), it won't be because he has a key role on the union.  

JR went out of his way to mess with Black Jack during the arb process.. Messed with him after winning a Cy Young.  And have they ever nickeled and dimed anyone worse than they did Gio in arb this past season? It's not a coincidence they were the union reps IMO. I don't think he has a problem with all the union reps, just the ones who were working when there were big time lablor issues with lockouts and strikes. They traded Ken Patterson the union rep during the 89-90 trouble in the George Bell deal. Now, it's Ken Pattererson, he would have gone sometime, but even the article I read said Scheuler was scoring points with JR dumping the union  rep.

Edited by Dick Allen

At this point, the best bang for the buck would prolly be the Kepler trade assuming it only costs something like ReyLo.

Kepler plus Wong at about 16m combined > Conforto for 16m all by himself.

Adding in Clevinger at 12 means you added 28m to payroll but likely subtracting 10m for Giolito and I dunno what people would project for ReyLo this year...last year it was like 2.6, maybe he gets a raise to 4...so deduct 14 and its a net payroll add of 14. 

Weren't we at 172 and the budget was 180...so we'd be at 186....which means maybe another high priced RP would need to go since no one will take Grandal.

Honestly, if budget really is 180 this is about the best result we can ask.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

23 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

At this point, the best bang for the buck would prolly be the Kepler trade assuming it only costs something like ReyLo.

Kepler plus Wong at about 16m combined > Conforto for 16m all by himself.

More like $20M. Kepler is guaranteed $9.5M and Wong is at $10M in his final year of control. 

Trading Reylo would be tough. I’d rather keep Reylo, sign a LH OF and just roll the dice on the kids at 2B. Can always find an expiring contract middle infielder for little return come July. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

More like $20M. Kepler is guaranteed $9.5M and Wong is supposed to get $10M+ in arb. 

Trading Reylo would be tough. I’d rather keep Reylo, sign a LH OF and just roll the dice on the kids at 2B. Can always find an expiring contract middle infielder for little return come July. 

Wong is on a 1 year $10 million deal after the Brewers picked up a contract option.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/report-brewers-kolten-wong-agree-two-year-18m-contract/sn-amp/ 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

More like $20M. Kepler is guaranteed $9.5M and Wong is supposed to get $10M+ in arb. 

My bad. I thought they were around 16m combined. Still, 20m for Kepler plus Wong is still better use of limited resources than 16m just for Conforto....plus there's an option for Kepler for 24 too. 

BTW, if Clevinger is at 12m that's not our no.5 that's 1000% Giolito's replacement.

If SD wants him, we need to get Campusano out of the deal so that we can address C. They aren't gonna be able to afford even a halfway decent catcher on the open market next year when Grandal is gone. Address the issue now. Have Campusano catch 5 games a week, Grandal 2 and he can 1B/DH 2 other days. 

8 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

My bad. I thought they were around 16m combined. Still, 20m for Kepler plus Wong is still better use of limited resources than 16m just for Conforto....plus there's an option for Kepler for 24 too. 

BTW, if Clevinger is at 12m that's not our no.5 that's 1000% Giolito's replacement.

If SD wants him, we need to get Campusano out of the deal so that we can address C. They aren't gonna be able to afford even a halfway decent catcher on the open market next year when Grandal is gone. Address the issue now. Have Campusano catch 5 games a week, Grandal 2 and he can 1B/DH 2 other days. 

Those guys also cost players along with the money though.

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

Wong prolly doesn't cost anything....MIL just wants to dump salary. Kepler does cost something tho.....how much remains to be seen. 

Mil could have let him walk - so they want at least some sort of asset for him otherwise they wouldn’t have picked up the option. 

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think it was more they didn't want to even pay the $2M option. Trade him off for something and be on the hook for none of it.

It could be - but $2M to save to take on risk of $10M guaranteed gets to be a delicate risk/reward trade off. Than again - Sox did that with Kimbrel.  

39 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Who is our #5 starter in this scenario?