2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Quin said:

I have a problem with it because of this on top of the other ads.

We already have the Grand Slam brought to you by Honda, walks brought to you by Dr. Scholl's, every spot in the stadium has an ad. The outfield walls used to have cool ass portraits of retired numbers, but those are now ads. I find the Nationwide jingle fun because Jason and Steve ham it up, but plenty don't.

So leave one thing, especially if teams cry poor. Soccer doesn't have commercials, so ads are more understandable.

Edit: If they tried to make it match the uniform like some NBA sponsors (Boston's GE and Cleveland's Goodyear were legit patches), I wouldn't mind as much.

900 million split between 30 teams is 30 million each or the cost of signing 1 superstar.  Not to mention the cost of feeding, equipping, transporting, and putting them up in a hotel among other expenses.  Not saying it's right, just saying that's the cost of doing business. Plenty of other sports including the NBA are selling their jersey's as ad space so it was only a matter of time.  Look at last years UMPs with the FTX logo as another example.

The Tigers’ search for starting pitching led back to a familiar face. Left-hander Matthew Boyd, Detroit’s Opening Day starter in 2020 and 2021, is in agreement on a one-year contract to return to the club, sources told MLB.com.

The deal is worth $10 million plus another $1 million in incentives, according to MLB Network’s Jon Heyman. 

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Having to listen to all the Jesus ads on the radio last year was the one advertising related thing that genuinely got on my nerves and was unpleasant. 

I generally have less of a problem with most of the other ads you mention, but I do feel like highlighting this one for reasons:

umpire-ftx-patch-mlb-baseball-2021-playo

Yeah I’d rather hear from pfizer and whatever else blackrock and vanguard have to sell than the guy who said above all else, love thy neighbor. Great point

• Hawk 2

5 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Yeah I’d rather hear from pfizer and whatever else blackrock and vanguard have to sell than the guy who said above all else, love thy neighbor. Great point

And if White Sox fans don't believe the same thing, they don't belong as fans of that team. 

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d rather go 1/$12M for Clevinger than 3/$40M for Eflin.  There will likely be a rotation shakeup next year and I’d rather have money towards a higher ceiling guy than Eflin.

These last two SP deals make me love the Clevinger deal even more

• Like 4

The Rays made the first notable move on the free-agent pitching market, agreeing to a three-year, $40 million deal with right-hander Zach Eflin, a source told MLB.com's Mark Feinsand on Thursday. The club did not confirm the move, which is pending a physical.

It's the largest free-agent contract for the Rays, surpassing Wilson Alvarez's five-year, $35 million deal in 1997.

Eflin has been a starter for the bulk of his MLB career, making 115 starts over seven seasons. He recorded a 4.37 ERA across 13 turns in the Phillies’ rotation last season, but following a nearly three-month layoff due to a right knee injury, Eflin returned in September as a member of Philadelphia’s bullpen and posted a 2.45 ERA with 21 strikeouts and two walks over 18 1/3 innings split between the end of the regular season and the playoffs. He earned the save in the team’s Wild Card Series-clinching victory against the Cardinals.

9 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Another terrible take from you. Shocking.

You mean you didn't like his trade proposal of Cease, Vaughn and Madrigal for Conforto?

For a guy that views himself as a baseball savant and bashes Hahn in basically every post, the Sox would be MUCH worse off if they made that idiotic trade proposal of his. 

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

You mean you didn't like his trade proposal of Cease, Vaughn and Madrigal for Conforto?

For a guy that views himself as a baseball savant and bashes Hahn in basically every post, the Sox would be MUCH worse off if they made that idiotic trade proposal of his. 

Guy just said the Rays are more aggressive in the pitching market when the Sox signed Clevinger first. Lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:
20 minutes ago, hi8is said:

That’s absolutely fucking astoundingly INSANE.

Largest contract in Rays history.. for a franchise that is consistently competitive with a small payroll... Must be nice.

Not that it change much, but Eflin isn't the largest contract in Rays history. FA history yes, but they signed Wander Franco to an extension before the season for 11 years 182 million.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

There goes TB's Disney money. Maybe the Sox will spend more but on what ? I think I prefer that they might be forced to go with younger guys in trades instead of relying on Hahn's miserable record in trades and FA's Adam LaRoche, Jeff Samardzija, David Shields, AJ Pollock, Edwin Encarnacion, Melky Cabrera, Adam Eaton, Wellington Castillo, Kelvin Herrera.

His record on guys under $5M dollars has been even uglier but propped up in recent years by Rodon , McCann and Cueto.

9 hours ago, bmags said:

Dang didn’t realize how little Eflin has pitched last few years.

Not sure I have any idea what prices will be this year. So many competing teams.

Anyone else think this hot pitching market may be related to COVID fallout?  No 2020 MiLB season means the Sox aren’t the only ones behind in their pitching development.  Fewer pitchers with the innings build up to be starters means more money for the ones that are. Hence make good deals are $10-12 mil instead of $6-8 mil.