2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

23 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Anyone else think this hot pitching market may be related to COVID fallout?  No 2020 MiLB season means the Sox aren’t the only ones behind in their pitching development.  Fewer pitchers with the innings build up to be starters means more money for the ones that are. Hence make good deals are $10-12 mil instead of $6-8 mil.

Eh, I think this tracks so far with last few years. The $6-$8 mill happens in feb.

Remember braves jumping on Smyly for 1 yr $10 mill for like 8 IP a few years ago? Anyone teams think have potential go for $10-$16 mil. Surprise to me is Eflins years.

10 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I have a lot of butt hurt reply guys but you're quickly becoming one of my favorites.  

When you act like you have all the answers, but never actually share anything of substance, and 95% of your posts are just stupid condescending one liners, that is what you get.  

I've yet to see you provide any sort of accurate insight, yet you continue to act like you have some in to the Sox FO.  I think you're full of s%*#.  It's one thing to be someone like Pal that doesn't really say much other than little vague nuggets, but he doesn't act like a total tool.  Then there is you.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

When you act like you have all the answers, but never actually share anything of substance, and 95% of your posts are just stupid condescending one liners, that is what you get.  

I've yet to see you provide any sort of accurate insight, yet you continue to act like you have some in to the Sox FO.  I think you're full of s%*#.  It's one thing to be someone like Pal that doesn't really say much other than little vague nuggets, but he doesn't act like a total tool.  Then there is you.    

Damn.....not mincing words this morning.  Like it!!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Don't fret.  You're still my favorite.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

IF they actually receive a good return I'd be open for it. Don't think he is here beyond next season.

I think Gio is as good as gone, be it now or in the offseason.  Getting something outweighs letting another starter walk for nothing, but I have little faith Hahn gets value in return and also replaces him with a quality replacement. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Someone we should have signed last year for one year for less than Joe Kelly got. *sigh*

And yet this is still likely an awful move. That is too much money and 1 yr too many to give to an older reliever (or a non elite closer period).  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

And yet this is still likely an awful move. That is too much money and 1 yr too many to give to an older reliever (or a non elite closer period).  

Oh I was referring to last year. There were about 7 deals I liked better than the Kelly deal heading into last season.

Now, yeah that is likely going to be bad.

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Someone we should have signed last year for one year for less than Joe Kelly got. *sigh*

Martin was one of the relief arms I was advocating for the Sox to sign last winter. There's 0 meaningful difference between the type of reliever who's available for 1 year ~5M vs 2 or 3 years at an AAV in the 10M range.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Maybe it's a non starter since he's a Boras client, but this would be a good time to get aggressive with an extension for Cease. There might still be a window to get one done considering he's still 3 years from free agency.

If Cease pitches the next 3 years close to this one, he's in line for at least a $250M contract

13 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Maybe it's a non starter since he's a Boras client, but this would be a good time to get aggressive with an extension for Cease. There might still be a window to get one done considering he's still 3 years from free agency.

Speaking of that, isn’t Vaughn a FA after the 26 season?  Spotrac has him after 27.