2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well the strategery was keeping Moncada at 2b and Machado at 3b. 2b has been a hole for just as long.

Moncada becoming a really good defensive 3b was the thing that made "It should have been Harper" the pick. That wasn't expected. 

correct.  I was on the Machado > Harper train

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

correct.  I was on the Machado > Harper train

I do have to admit I missed the "The White Sox won't have any LH hitters" part of that, I can't remember what I was thinking about that at the time. Maybe I was looking at what Moncada had done LH and thinking he was mostly going to be a LH bat? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T R U said:

Machado is just a good player, Harper is a guy that could be the face of baseball and really transformed this franchise

Machado was 2nd in the majors in fWAR last year and is trending towards being a slam dunk Hall of Famer if he stays healthy into his 30s. If that's only good, you have very high standards.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Plenty of teams interested in Rodon, including the Twins

SAN DIEGO — While the Yankees’ main priority remains superstar Aaron Judge, they remain in daily contact with Carlos Rodon’s camp, and preferred him as a rotation option all along to Justin Verlander or certainly Jacob deGrom, for two main reasons: 1) he’s younger, and 2) he’s a left-hander for Yankee Stadium.

Word is, the Yankees likely could still fit Rodon into their payroll if Judge returns — although their budget hasn’t been defined to the dollar, as of yet. And he’s the starter that has their attention. “He’s really good,” manager Aaron Boone said Monday.

The issue with Rodon is that his market is expansive as the younger and more affordable ace on the market. Surprise entries Baltimore and Minnesota have joined the expected group of the Dodgers, Giants and Rangers, who met on Rodon even after signing star Jacob deGrom to his $185 million, five-year deal.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/05/carlos-rodon-remains-yankees-priority-despite-competition/

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Id love to see the Twins back to the brinks trunk for Rodon. Los is a dude, but his next deal is going to be an awful one. 

I get that, but the upside with Rodon is so ridiculously high. I'd much rather see the Twins stick to dumpster diving for starters rather than paying up for an ace.

• Like 1

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I get that, but the upside with Rodon is so ridiculously high. I'd much rather see the Twins stick to dumpster diving for starters rather than paying up for an ace.

They won’t pay up for him. But paying Rodon $30M to make a handful of starts for them would be crushing to that franchise. But yeah, he’s nasty when he pitches. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

They won’t pay up for him. But paying Rodon $30M to make a handful of starts for them would be crushing to that franchise. But yeah, he’s nasty when he pitches. 

I don't think it's a given he'll be as injured going forward. It's quite possible to me that his mechanical improvements which lead to his stuff ticking way up also lead to him being healthier going forward.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’m wondering if he will get to 35 and we will be saying that he didn’t put as many miles on his arm in his 20s because of the injuries so he may still have years left in him after this contract.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I’m wondering if he will get to 35 and we will be saying that he didn’t put as many miles on his arm in his 20s because of the injuries so he may still have years left in him after this contract.

So the argument would be he won’t get hurt because he already was hurt? Shoulder and elbow. That’s crazy.