2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Exactly. It’s pathetic. At least have a plan, and several back ups. I don’t understand how a team supposedly in the contention window thinks another GM is going to propose something to help the White Sox win.

It's clear with in all of his "Hahn Speak" that Rick thinks Tony was a huge problem and Pedro is going to be their "Big Addition." Like always, he's convinced himself he's smarter than everyone else. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Hahn doing nothing at the trade deadline, and perhaps the teams most popular player leaving you think would give this organization big incentive to make some news. And they will wonder about fan apathy.

Don't worry, Rick was as disappointed as we all were, he told us. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is telling me...no additions.
They are banking on guys being healthy and rookies contributing.

2023 lineup
R SS Anderson
S 3B Moncada
R DH/LF Eloy
L Grandal
R 1B Vaughn
L DH/LF Sheets
R CF Robert
L RF Colas
R 2B Sosa

#SeatAtTheTable

i actually expect significant change. I think we'll see a trade of:

Giolito

Hendriks

Grandal (tying them to one of the above for a lesser return - though i hope not)

and then one of Eloy, Anderson, Robert

I think we see a massive reshuffle. And there will be significant talent exchanged. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

It's clear with in all of his "Hahn Speak" that Rick thinks Tony was a huge problem and Pedro is going to be their "Big Addition." Like always, he's convinced himself he's smarter than everyone else. 

God this is so accurate.  Hahn wants to prove it was all Tony’s fault, whereas Jerry wants to prove it wasn’t.  The only one who suffers are the fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

How can you both believe in the talent and be open to significant change?

As the kids say these days, tell me you don’t believe in the talent without telling me you don’t believe in the talent.

Or is it, tell me you aren’t open to significant change without telling me you aren’t open to significant change.

I suppose ultimately it’s tell me you don’t have a direction without telling me you don’t have a direction.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Giolito

Hendriks

Grandal (tying them to one of the above for a lesser return - though i hope not)

I think we see a massive reshuffle. And there will be significant talent exchanged. 

If they were going to do this they would be doing it by now. The obvious mid-market pitchers who you might sign with that money to replace Giolito are leaving the market right now. The reliever market is genuinely dwindling and they’re not going to trade Hendriks to leave their bullpen open. They’re not going to trade all those guys away and start a new rebuild after the winter meetings are already over either.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

God this is so accurate.  Hahn wants to prove it was all Tony’s fault, whereas Jerry wants to prove it wasn’t.  The only one who suffers are the fans.

None of what Hahn said is "wrong" and these quotes are to be expected...but when you understand what took place with La Russa, and seeing their lack of activity this offseason, it becomes clear Pedro is expected to work wonders, and clearly Hahn believes La Russa actually cost them more than a handful of wins. 

The better approach would be to, you know, hire a new manager AND make impact additions to a team that finished .500 in their "World Series Window" but f*** me, right? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Giolito

Hendriks

The one guy I see possibly going from that list is Eloy. And it could blow up in their faces. If he plays 145 games, he’s a 40 homer guy. Something they desperately need. But , if it takes him 2 or 3 seasons to play 145 games, not good. I could see them trading Eloy and using the savings, signing a guy like Gallo or Benetendi who has no power, but does something else the Sox need, work a count. 

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The one guy I see possibly going from that list is Eloy. And it could blow up in their faces. If he plays 145 games, he’s a 40 homer guy. Something they desperately need. But , if it takes him 2 or 3 seasons to play 145 games, not good. I could see them trading Eloy and using the savings, signing a guy like Gallo or Benetendi who has no power, but does something else the Sox need, work a count. 

Eloy’s salary this year is only $6.5 million. That’s probably still less than Gallo gets and maybe half of a Benintendi.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Eloy’s salary this year is only $6.5 million. That’s probably still less than Gallo gets and maybe half of a Benintendi.

BR says $10.333 million. I think you could get Gallo for that or less. Benetendi slightly more but not enough where anyone in their right mind trying to win would say can’t do. Eloy is the only position player in the core they could trade, get something worthwhile back, and reasonably replace. I personally would hate to see him go.

Edited by Dick Allen

29 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

This is telling me...no additions.
They are banking on guys being healthy and rookies contributing.

2023 lineup
R SS Anderson
S 3B Moncada
R DH/LF Eloy
L Grandal
R 1B Vaughn
L DH/LF Sheets
R CF Robert
L RF Colas
R 2B Sosa

#SeatAtTheTable

Hahn's seat is empty, he couldn't find the table either.

images.jpg

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If they were going to do this they would be doing it by now. The obvious mid-market pitchers who you might sign with that money to replace Giolito are leaving the market right now. The reliever market is genuinely dwindling and they’re not going to trade Hendriks to leave their bullpen open. They’re not going to trade all those guys away and start a new rebuild after the winter meetings are already over either.

Perhaps they are stuck because they are up against the ceiling of their budget already and can't do anything until they shed payroll. If we know about the 180m budget, then other teams definitely do as well and are in no rush to help us shed salary as they figure they'll have better leverage against the FO if the market starts thinning out.

So Hahn has to go out there and say he is open to significant change because that is the plan but since he's being squeezed simultaneously by both JR and other teams he has to also say "he believes in this group" as a way to save face in advance in case nothing materializes. 

It's not that they don't have a plan or don't know what they're doing, it's that RH is stuck and is trying to manuever his way out of it by reshaping the cash allocation of resources that TLR fucked up with all his RPs while operating within the confines of a stricter ceiling than anticipated and its not at all clear he can pull it off in one offseason when other teams know we are in a jam.

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 2