2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s obvious to me when they mention possible out of character trades, they mean Hendriks, Giolito and Anderson.  Eloy and Robert aren’t going anywhere.

Of all the teams looking for a SS, I don't think TA is too high on their list.  We think highly to TA, it's the rest of the league that see's no value in his glove. Another example of falling in love with a player we signed to a team friendly contract.

40 minutes ago, he gone. said:

i actually expect significant change. I think we'll see a trade of:

Giolito

Hendriks

Grandal (tying them to one of the above for a lesser return - though i hope not)

and then one of Eloy, Anderson, Robert

I think we see a massive reshuffle. And there will be significant talent exchanged. 

No way in hell anything like this happens. No way in hell. 

The White Sox are a status quo organization. NOthing major is coming expect for maybe signing a guy like Gallo or Jason Heyward. 

9 hours ago, hi8is said:

We are all Ryan McGuffey right now.

Anyone else watch this and get the sense that there’s a big rift in the clubhouse that Hahn is attempting to resolve by trading the assholes?  It’s honestly fascinating to watch how dysfunctional this org is and how badly they botched this “rebuild.”

Just now, JoeCredeYes said:

Anyone else watch this and get the sense that there’s a big rift in the clubhouse that Hahn is attempting to resolve by trading the assholes?  It’s honestly fascinating to watch how dysfunctional this org is and how badly they botched this “rebuild.”

There are quite a few rumors out there about clubhouse cancers.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Hendriks has to have value with how much relievers are getting paid. Liam is probably twice the reliever Jansen is. 

Jansen value was because he's a free agent.  It's easy for clubs that spend to throw millions at these signings, but when you have to give up players or prospects in return the value diminishes.

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Perhaps they are stuck because they are up against the ceiling of their budget already and can't do anything until they shed payroll. If we know about the 180m budget, then other teams definitely do as well and are in no rush to help us shed salary as they figure they'll have better leverage against the FO if the market starts thinning out.

So Hahn has to go out there and say he is open to significant change because that is the plan but since he's being squeezed simultaneously by both JR and other teams he has to also say "he believes in this group" as a way to save face in advance in case nothing materializes. 

The idea that teams were going to overpay for our guys because closers are awesome or whatever the other reasons are was always going to run into a brick wall of reality. I would actually be somewhat surprised if the front office bought into that, because sometimes RH has to actually be on the phone with other GMs and that should make it harder to delude onesself. 

If they want to move salary from this roster they need a plan for rebuilding. They aren't getting major pieces that will be difference makers on a big league squad back for anyone from their big league club other than Robert or Cease. They aren't going to make themselves vastly better by making the bullpen worse to add an outfielder at the same price. They're stuck because if they want to compete and can't blow past this budget, piecemeal additions are all they can do. 

4 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

The White Sox are a status quo organization. NOthing major is coming expect for maybe signing a guy like Gallo or Jason Heyward. 

I've been expecting Heyward for months now.  Almost too obvious at virtually zero cost.  

16 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd much rather have Clevinger at 12 million than Quintana.  A year ago we wanted NOTHING to do with him again

I’d rather have Q, but I was predicting a mid-late career resurgence for him and have to admit he was my favorite Sox player for a few years. Even in 2019 he had a solid FIP of 3.80, due to strong walk and hr rates. I suppose the upside is higher with Clevinger but there’s a good chance he doesn’t do squat for us

9 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

I'm expecting both Gio and Hendriks gone. I could be wrong, but on a final year of deals where the Sox will in no way resign them? The SP market just got thin ... Taillon and Tijuan are getting $70mm .... those are guys I wouldn't be very comfortable starting in the playoffs as my #3 and they're almost getting $20mm a year. I think the leverage + return on Giolito is just growing and the Sox are very aware they're not giving their first $100mm contract to Giolito. I count him as good as gone. Same angle on Hendriks. The price of a closer is going up and we have internal options ... I see him gone as well. 

My final guesses of an Eloy or Robert center around getting back a controllable arm. I think the Gio/Hendriks angle nets you some bats/positions and then an Eloy/Robert nets you maybe a Pablo Lopez or Marlins type package back. 

Obviously all of this going down like I'm guessing is very low, just my personal guess that I see happening. They can't trade Gio and Hendriks during a winning season when we're competing for a division - it'd be white flag trade all over. They have to get rid of them now so they have time to spin zone the return. Just my two cents. 

9 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Jansen value was because he's a free agent.  It's easy for clubs that spend to throw millions at these signings, but when you have to give up players or prospects in return the value diminishes.

True but hendriks has been significantly better than Jansen the last few years and having an option for ‘24 allows a team to acquire a legit closer while still having, uh, options. There is no comparable closer available via free agency. His trade value should still be fairly high, particularly to a team like the Dodgers. A good closer may only be worth 2 WAR, until a team doesn’t have a viable closer. Then he’s worth a lot more

• Like 1

Q at that price makes me think Sox could have had him for 2/24 easily...and in a division that cant hit lefties....why didn't you still do this....in case Kopech/Lynn have lingering knee issues. Worst case is if all are healthy you get a nice ransom at trade deadline. Oh to be a GM with foresight...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s obvious to me when they mention possible out of character trades, they mean Hendriks, Giolito and Anderson.  Eloy and Robert aren’t going anywhere.

I agree.  Eloy's and Robert's contracts are crazy valuable IF they can stay healthy for a full season.  Per BR, Eloy is making $10.333M, $13.833M, $16.5M (Team Option) and $18.5M (Team Option) over the next 4 years, while Robert is making $9.5M, $12.5M, $15M, $20M (Team Option) and $20M (Team Option) over the next 5 years.  With top tier guys getting $30-40M/year, and guys like Joc Pederson and Bellinger getting $19.65M and $17.5M respectively, and knowing FA signings just keep getting higher and higher each year, I just think it would be crazy to trade away either Eloy or Robert at this point.  If they never amount to slightly better than average players, hell, you're only paying them what you'd have to pay a slightly better than average player on the FA market.  But if they can get close to what we think is their potential, you're paying them half of what they'd earn on the FA market.       

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

God this is so accurate.  Hahn wants to prove it was all Tony’s fault, whereas Jerry wants to prove it wasn’t.  The only one who suffers are the fans.

Uh huh just like a certain someone around here thinks Grifol will make a big impact who was also the most outspoken from the second LaRussa was hired. JR should always be public enemy No. 1 followed in no particular order by Hahn ,TLR ,players .

I also believe the rebuild was headed for disaster with or without TLR. He may have just accelerated the timer of that bomb.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Uh huh just like a certain someone around here thinks Grifol will make a big impact who was also the most outspoken from the second LaRussa was hired. JR should always be public enemy No. 1 followed in no particular order by Hahn ,TLR ,players .

I also believe the rebuild was headed for disaster with or without TLR. He may have just accelerated the timer of that bomb.

Cali, we get it, you're the greatest scout of all time.

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

None of what Hahn said is "wrong" and these quotes are to be expected...but when you understand what took place with La Russa, and seeing their lack of activity this offseason, it becomes clear Pedro is expected to work wonders, and clearly Hahn believes La Russa actually cost them more than a handful of wins. 

The better approach would be to, you know, hire a new manager AND make impact additions to a team that finished .500 in their "World Series Window" but f*** me, right? 

A team that finished .500, and lost their best bat, is putting all of their eggs in the new guy will save us basket, while banking on basically the whole team rebounding and or staying healthy. Talk about ass backwards magical thinking.  World Series window my ass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RibbieRubarb said:

This is telling me...no additions.
They are banking on guys being healthy and rookies contributing.

2023 lineup
R SS Anderson
S 3B Moncada
R DH/LF Eloy
L Grandal
R 1B Vaughn
L DH/LF Sheets
R CF Robert
L RF Colas
R 2B Sosa

#SeatAtTheTable

GUEST_d0dc71b7-b50f-413c-9d48-e77b05ba84

22 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’d rather have Q, but I was predicting a mid-late career resurgence for him and have to admit he was my favorite Sox player for a few years. Even in 2019 he had a solid FIP of 3.80, due to strong walk and hr rates. I suppose the upside is higher with Clevinger but there’s a good chance he doesn’t do squat for us

I would have gone with Quintana both because he's probably a better bet to be healthy but also because there's some contrast with the rest of the rotation. Literally everyone there is a righty trying to throw a mid 90s fastball and mixing in various degrees of sliders and curveballs. A couple guys with 2 seamers or cutters, a couple changeups that aren't great. 

I actually do think this was one thing that helped Cueto last year. Having a lefty in the rotation would be a nice change of pace at least, and I bet Cleveland had "the White Sox have 6 lefty starters" in mind when they signed Bell. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I dont think it was headed for disaster either way. They played hard and mostly good when they didn't hate the manager. I dont think it was headed to a World Series, either, because they still aren't willing to spend like a big time club, but it wasn't headed for .500 baseball with this roster.

They probably would have won a couple more division titles and maybe a playoff series or two in this window. They still would be inferior to HOU and NYY and wouldn't have gotten past either in an ALCS or ALDS if they got that draw but they wouldn't have been this bad without TLR

16 minutes ago, he gone. said:

I'm expecting both Gio and Hendriks gone. I could be wrong, but on a final year of deals where the Sox will in no way resign them? The SP market just got thin ... Taillon and Tijuan are getting $70mm .... those are guys I wouldn't be very comfortable starting in the playoffs as my #3 and they're almost getting $20mm a year. I think the leverage + return on Giolito is just growing and the Sox are very aware they're not giving their first $100mm contract to Giolito. I count him as good as gone. Same angle on Hendriks. The price of a closer is going up and we have internal options ... I see him gone as well. 

My final guesses of an Eloy or Robert center around getting back a controllable arm. I think the Gio/Hendriks angle nets you some bats/positions and then an Eloy/Robert nets you maybe a Pablo Lopez or Marlins type package back. 

Obviously all of this going down like I'm guessing is very low, just my personal guess that I see happening. They can't trade Gio and Hendriks during a winning season when we're competing for a division - it'd be white flag trade all over. They have to get rid of them now so they have time to spin zone the return. Just my two cents. 

Why in the world are the Sox trying to trade Giolito and Hendricks during a year that they are supposed to be competing for a World Series? Why create two big holes on your mlb roster? 

This is crazy talk to me. Why stop with just those guys? Dylan Cease is value is at all time high as well right now. Think of all the shiny prospects the Sox could get for him! Total insanity.