2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Greek-konerko said:

Want more

Sorry bro, I can't spend 15 bucks on your food when I only have 7 dollars.  Did you know the gyro plate has a side Greek salad and that cucumber yogurt so it's still good value. 

JR would also like to point out that you can also sit at the booth/table for free while you enjoy your meal, which is an underrated and unappreciated benefit. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Sorry bro, I can't spend 15 bucks on your food when I only have 7 dollars.  Did you know the gyro plate has a side Greek salad and that cucumber yogurt so it's still good value. 

JR would also like to point out that you can also sit at the booth/table for free while you enjoy your meal, which is an underrated and unappreciated benefit. 

Will jason benetti be there?if so i agree hes a funny dude

1 hour ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I can't wait to have a seat at the 2024 Machado table. 

As we wait for our future to materialize into parades and multiple championships, we are left with this thought....

"With Machado we extended ourselves as far as we could without jeopardizing what we’re going to need to do in the future.” Williams added about Machado, “People are lost on the fact that on a yearly basis our offer was more than San Diego’s. The average annual value was 31 [million] and change. So it was about years guaranteed.”

NO it wasn't Kenny, Machado was asking for an opt out regardless of what the final offer in years  was so adding a year was a no brainer if you really wanted an impact player.  Instead we got Grandal and Keuchel and a bagful of promises about multiple championships

1 hour ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Why in the world are the Sox trying to trade Giolito and Hendricks during a year that they are supposed to be competing for a World Series? Why create two big holes on your mlb roster? 

This is crazy talk to me. Why stop with just those guys? Dylan Cease is value is at all time high as well right now. Think of all the shiny prospects the Sox could get for him! Total insanity. 

I don't disagree with you. But clearly the White Sox are not choosing the other route of others (Cubs, Padres, Astros, etc. etc. of spending/pushing pedal down during their window)... so my guess is at the very least they are very much entertaining this scenario. We're doing our best Brewers impression. Their GM had to come out and say they weren't trading Burnes or Woody this offseason, but they did trade Wong and Renfroe. They did trade Hader. The Sox are the Brewers. 

Let me put it to you this way ... lets say you trade Hendriks for Vaughn Grissom + Soroka and then trade Giolito for Alek Thomas & Josh Rojas. Or Giolito for Bret Baty. Or maybe something like Robert for Jazz Chisolm and Pablo Lopez... (now ... please ... don't get on me for "that trade is so lopsided". I'm just throwing around examples. Examples where you trade a Gio or Hendriks with 1 yr of control left to plug another hole with more control while getting MLB talent back. It's not necessarily punting 2023 and beyond ... it's "retooling" especially considering we have a pretty thin minors system and we're not going to resign a lot of these guys ... 

Let's just for sits and giggles toss around the first two trades in a video game scenario ... you basically replace gio in rotation with soroka. you plug in grissom to 2B. You move graveman into the closer role and have alek thomas manning RF or LF with Rojas as a big upgrade at UTIL. Is that a better team than currently constructed? It's just food for thought and probably what the Sox are mulling. 

• Like 1

On top of that, they're not thought out. The Diamondbacks have no need to send out guys they control for multiple years for a pitcher who is a free agent in 1 year. Is Giolito going to put them over the top next year? With the Dodgers, Padres, and Giants in that division? C'mon man. 

12 minutes ago, he gone. said:

I don't disagree with you. But clearly the White Sox are not choosing the other route of others (Cubs, Padres, Astros, etc. etc. of spending/pushing pedal down during their window)... so my guess is at the very least they are very much entertaining this scenario. We're doing our best Brewers impression. Their GM had to come out and say they weren't trading Burnes or Woody this offseason, but they did trade Wong and Renfroe. They did trade Hader. The Sox are the Brewers. 

Let me put it to you this way ... lets say you trade Hendriks for Vaughn Grissom + Soroka and then trade Giolito for Alek Thomas & Josh Rojas. Or Giolito for Bret Baty. Or maybe something like Robert for Jazz Chisolm and Pablo Lopez... (now ... please ... don't get on me for "that trade is so lopsided". I'm just throwing around examples. Examples where you trade a Gio or Hendriks with 1 yr of control left to plug another hole with more control while getting MLB talent back. It's not necessarily punting 2023 and beyond ... it's "retooling" especially considering we have a pretty thin minors system and we're not going to resign a lot of these guys ... 

Let's just for sits and giggles toss around the first two trades in a video game scenario ... you basically replace gio in rotation with soroka. you plug in grissom to 2B. You move graveman into the closer role and have alek thomas manning RF or LF with Rojas as a big upgrade at UTIL. Is that a better team than currently constructed? It's just food for thought and probably what the Sox are mulling. 

It's just disapointing to see the White Sox have to make a choice like this when they can just spend money to fill holes, even players to 1 year deals, and avoid longer-term commitments. At the same time, they will tell you they are competing for next year, but have to trade players who were thought to be key components of a playoff roster to avoid adding payroll. It's just not serious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I dont think it was headed for disaster either way. They played hard and mostly good when they didn't hate the manager. I dont think it was headed to a World Series, either, because they still aren't willing to spend like a big time club, but it wasn't headed for .500 baseball with this roster.

They probably would have won a couple more division titles and maybe a playoff series or two in this window. They still would be inferior to HOU and NYY and wouldn't have gotten past either in an ALCS or ALDS if they got that draw but they wouldn't have been this bad without TLR

I'll blame injuries to the core players almost more than anything. In 2020 did you think Abreu would still be the best player the Sox had in 2022  ? There were 4 guys who should have surpassed him by now yet didn't.

I don't even know how you quantify that the players hated the manager . Did it cause them to get injured make them lose their desire to win and make money ? Did they get fat and lazy and not give a damn because of TLR.

Did TLR make Vaughn and Sheets play the OF? It happened under his watch but why didn't the Sox get more OFers or get more LH position players ?  TLR didn't cause the terrible farm system and lack of depth or the fact the Sox didn't have quality international signings or suck at player development. TLR wasn't the guy who let the same FO in charge of a rebuild that mired them in mediocrity in the 1st place then sabotaged that plan by hiring TLR.

You're believing TLR is the root when he is just a branch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greek-konerko said:

Thank u i aint talking bullshit,and idk what players asking back

I've actually heard similar rumblings for a few months now that some big names will be moved, was asked by my friend with the contact to not mention anything here, but seems like the cat is outta the bag now. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Interesting. Gotta see what happens with Bogaerts and the other SS's first I assume. If none of them go to LAD or BOS then I assume something will happen

Dodgers make the most sense by far.  No way will Lux play SS for them. He can barely throw accurately from 2B.