2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Dodgers make the most sense by far.  No way will Lux play SS for them. He can barely throw accurately from 2B.

Any idea if Busch can actually play 2B, or is he more a 1B type in the long run?

Edited by JoeCredeYes
more words

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Dodgers make the most sense by far.  No way will Lux play SS for them. He can barely throw accurately from 2B.

I assume Chicago is insisting on Lux as the main piece here (didn't KW want to pick him in 16 with the pick they used on Burdi but he went off the board right before?). It solves cost controlled LHH 2B issue and then they have the flexibility of dealing some of those guys like Sosa, Rodriguez etc. And LAD is prolly saying no but we will give you Busch instead who is really just a 1B.

And maybe ask for Outman and Pepiot too but then we would need to throw something else into the pot (worth about 4m in SV) to even it out. 

Lux, Pepiot and Outman for Anderson plus something small.

• Like 1

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

I assume Chicago is insisting on Lux as the main piece here (didn't KW want to pick him in 16 with the pick they used on Burdi but he went off the board right before?). It solves cost controlled LHH 2B issue and then they have the flexibility of dealing some of those guys like Sosa, Rodriguez etc. And LAD is prolly saying no but we will give you Busch instead who is really just a 1B.

And maybe ask for Outman and Pepiot too but then we would need to throw something else into the pot (worth about 4m in SV) to even it out. 

Answers my Busch query, thank you. 

6 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Any idea if Busch can actually play 2B, or is he more a 1B type in the long run?

The latter and I bet that's the hangup.

Chicago is insisting on Lux and LAD is saying no here's a package of guys like Busch, Outman etc and we aren't biting. 

If Bogaerts resigns with BOS that will hurt our leverage.

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Who would play SS for the White Sox?  If Montgomery was in a position where you could say he is ready, then I could buy it, but I would bet anything TA isn't available unless totally blown away

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, he gone. said:

now ... please ... don't get on me for "that trade is so lopsided". I'm just throwing around examples.

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

Problem is those trades are lopsided so you’re not getting nearly as much back as you would think, which means far more holes that need to be filled.

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

On top of that, they're not thought out. The Diamondbacks have no need to send out guys they control for multiple years for a pitcher who is a free agent in 1 year. Is Giolito going to put them over the top next year? With the Dodgers, Padres, and Giants in that division? C'mon man. 

Good reading comprehension. smh. the grissom one is one i saw floating around on twitter and i think it too is a ridiculously lopsided trade and one that I'd do in a split second. hell just for grissom i'd do it in a split second. 

The DBacks have been in talks with guys like Boagerts ... AND AGAIN I SAID DONT SAY THESE TRADES ARE LOPSIDED AND ARE JUST FOR EXAMPLES. WHY AM I EVEN RESPONDING. I SAID VIDEO GAME MINDSET, I SAID LOPSIDED TRADE, I SAID IN THEORY ... i swear you ppl make me crazy sometimes. 

I'm gonna make it my mission to just find dumb things Balta1701 has said .... thats my new goal. Have fun with it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, he gone. said:

Good reading comprehension. smh. the grissom one is one i saw floating around on twitter and i think it too is a ridiculously lopsided trade and one that I'd do in a split second. hell just for grissom i'd do it in a split second. 

The DBacks have been in talks with guys like Boagerts ... AND AGAIN I SAID DONT SAY THESE TRADES ARE LOPSIDED AND ARE JUST FOR EXAMPLES. WHY AM I EVEN RESPONDING. I SAID VIDEO GAME MINDSET, I SAID LOPSIDED TRADE, I SAID IN THEORY ... i swear you ppl make me crazy sometimes. 

I'm gonna make it my mission to just find dumb things Balta1701 has said .... thats my new goal. Have fun with it. 

Go for it. Here's a hint - I loved the Kimbrel deal at the time. I made the same mistake as Rick Hahn and didn't look at any of his advanced stats, just assumed he was back to dominant. Plenty to work with right there. 

And what's the difference between Boagerts and Anderson? Xander would be a guy they would control for a number of years, and it would only cost them a second round pick. Anderson would require sending back serious legitimate talent, and they would only control him for two years. It's not even whether it's lopsided or not, it's that it makes no sense. It's like proposing to the Phillies that they trade Harper to your team - it makes no sense, the Phillies aren't subtracting key pieces from their lineup right now no matter how lopsided the offer is. 

8 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

It could also be Yolbert. He's in AAA now and while his offense cratered once he made the leap from AA to AAA, isn't his defense good?

You can bat him 9th. 

That would be an ultra cheap option.

Yolbert might not even be here come 4:30pm.  I think if the Sox felt he could play any prominent role they would have added him to the 40 man roster.  And he’s really not a great option for SS defensively, at least not an everyday basis.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I never said I'd fully switch to the Mets, just buy their gear, because I figure I can actually adopt a full-time NL team for reasons I've stated ad nauseam.

But we've heard you say you

- Knew the rebuild would fail

- Called Yermin's ascension (we haven't heard much about that anymore, despite you saying FutureSox was wrong about him)

- Knew Frank would be a stud before anyone else and that he should have been called up sooner, even though he was called up midway through his second year after being drafted. Crazy fast.

That's just off the top of my head, but man, you've got to give the self congratulatory stuff a rest.

Wow you left out a lot of stuff I've bragged about ;) .  And I wasn't referencing you at all in regards to switching teams, just the general stuff I've been reading. I told Sacamano to trust my baseball acumen and he asked me why so I told him.

My arguments are always about baseball. I rarely use the words stupid or ridiculous to demean anothers' position. We'll find out later if we are right or wrong. I am very humble when I write my opinions and do my best to back it up with facts or  I don't use catch phrases like "its really just that simple to make it seem like my opinion is just so simple and obvious it has to be right."

Lets take Vaughn for instance . Do you understand how hard  it is around here to go against the grain of popular opinion and continually bash Vaughn for his defense and his hitting during his 1st year playing when the Vaughn hype train was full steam ahead ?  He's had a minus WAR in his career . I know full well he's been playing out of position and that's never been his fault but he hasn't helped the team win. Most people just back down and figure why take the abuse ? Now that he'll be at 1st he can help the team win and I expect him to now.

If i put myself out there with unpopular opinions which I often do and take the criticism for those opinions am I supposed to be humble and let those same bashers off the hook when they are wrong ? They didn't cut me any slack and I'll return it right back. I'm not a turn the other cheek guy.

I'm actually thrilled that I see other people using James Outman in trade ideas with the Dodgers. I feel I am  slightly responsible for that. I don't know if he'll ever be any good. All I'm doing is making recommendations based on the what I think is happening with the Sox.

I don't waste my typing on speculating on FA's unless I think there's a chance that's a direction the Sox will go and I didn't think that (Thanks to Feagan) except for maybe one pitcher and that already happened.

Many don't see a path to the playoffs if you trade Hendriks. I do but it's all up to how the core plays and their health. I like Grifol but I don't think he's a miracle worker. But if he gets the credit if the Sox make the playoffs that's fine by me but Id be more likely to think it's coincidence if, say, Robert and Eloy both play 140 games and have career years, Gio bounces back and Kopech emerges, Lynn stays healthy and does his usual stuff, Anderson becomes 4 WAR Anderson again. Moncada becomes 4 WAR Moncada, Vaughn can actually accrue positive WAR now that he'll play where he's supposed to and Colas is the real deal right away.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Go for it. Here's a hint - I loved the Kimbrel deal at the time. I made the same mistake as Rick Hahn and didn't look at any of his advanced stats, just assumed he was back to dominant. Plenty to work with right there. 

And what's the difference between Boagerts and Anderson? Xander would be a guy they would control for a number of years, and it would only cost them a second round pick. Anderson would require sending back serious legitimate talent, and they would only control him for two years. It's not even whether it's lopsided or not, it's that it makes no sense. It's like proposing to the Phillies that they trade Harper to your team - it makes no sense, the Phillies aren't subtracting key pieces from their lineup right now no matter how lopsided the offer is. 

Can you site the advanced stats Hahn failed to look at? The guy had a FIP of 1.10. In 36 innings he gave up 13 hits, walked 13 and struck out 64.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Sorry bro, I can't spend 15 bucks on your food when I only have 7 dollars.  Did you know the gyro plate has a side Greek salad and that cucumber yogurt so it's still good value. 

JR would also like to point out that you can also sit at the booth/table for free while you enjoy your meal, which is an underrated and unappreciated benefit. 

Cucumber yogurt 🤣