2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

5 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

WEll Payton and Reyes (if he signs). There's  2 depth pieces. Kind of makes the idea of Stone Garrett and Arestides Acquino look a lot better . Butt both Payton and Reyes will be minor league contracts.

Nats signed Garrett to a MLB contract so slightly more money. Aquino signed with Chunichi Dragons of the NPBL. so he probably got a much better offer. My 2 guys had big power and Aquino a great arm . Aquino, 28, RH, Very good fielder, one of the best arms in baseball, fast, really good jumps. This all easy to find on baseball Savant.  .7 fWar in 80 games with the Reds in 2022 based almost purely from defense. Hit tool lacking but basically in his MLB career hit a HR every 16.73 AB's.

If you believe in WAR then in 80 games he had more fWar  than Vaughn and Sheets combined in 258 games for a  -.3 fWar.

Garrett ,27, 6 yrs of control, all his options, is fast and hit HR's off Cease and Rodon last year in a 27 game sample size with the Dbacks but he is RH.

Reyes is 28, SH, no power , nice arm but not a particularly good fielder. Stone Garrett rejected by the Dbacks who have a ton of good young OFs. Reyes 54 percentile rank sprint speed . Garrett 83rd percentile. Couldnt get Garretts baseball Savant info on his fielding so I assume his time in the OF with the dbacks wasn't enough of a sample size yet.

Just another example of  minor acquisitions need to cost as little as possible and limiting the quality of depth and losing on the margins.

My picks provided speed and power and very good defense, upside and plus power while the Reyes contract isn't official yet the Sox 2 guys have no outstanding skills at all. My guys are RH though Payton is LF and Reyes a SH but on the margins quality means more. I would expect the main acquisition to the OF to be LH.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1
  • TLR 1

45 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

WEll Payton and Reyes (if he signs). There's  2 depth pieces. Kind of makes the idea of Stone Garrett and Arestides Acquino look a lot better . Butt both Payton and Reyes will be minor league contracts.

Nats signed Garrett to a MLB contract so slightly more money. Aquino signed with Chunichi Dragons of the NPBL. so he probably got a much better offer. My 2 guys had big power and Aquino a great arm . Aquino, 28, RH, Very good fielder, one of the best arms in baseball, fast, really good jumps. This all easy to find on baseball Savant.  .7 fWar in 80 games with the Reds in 2022 based almost purely from defense. Hit tool lacking but basically in his MLB career hit a HR every 16.73 AB's.

If you believe in WAR then in 80 games he had more fWar  than Vaughn and Sheets combined in 258 games for a  -.3 fWar.

Garrett ,27, 6 yrs of control, all his options, is fast and hit HR's off Cease and Rodon last year in a 27 game sample size with the Dbacks but he is RH.

Reyes is 28, SH, no power , nice arm but not a particularly good fielder. Stone Garrett rejected by the Dbacks who have a ton of good young OFs. Reyes 54 percentile rank sprint speed . Garrett 83rd percentile. Couldnt get Garretts baseball Savant info on his fielding so I assume his time in the OF with the dbacks wasn't enough of a sample size yet.

Just another example of  minor acquisitions need to cost as little as possible and limiting the quality of depth and losing on the margins.

My picks provided speed and power and very good defense, upside and plus power while the Reyes contract isn't official yet the Sox 2 guys have no outstanding skills at all. My guys are RH though Payton is LF and Reyes a SH but on the margins quality means more. I would expect the main acquisition to the OF to be LH.

Time to get over Stone. He’s not an option.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Time to get over Stone. He’s not an option.

Thanks Bob. Just pointing out that you wanted more you got less. I wasn't wrong yet you and your wolfpack found reasons to hound me about suggesting sound depth pieces. Get over yourself. Your post wasn't about baseball or baseball players it's about me .

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1

SF needs to lock up Correa ASAP so the trade market opens up.  I’m fucking sick of watching big league orgs toss around large contracts to improve their teams while the asshats here pretend they are tapped out and pinch pennies.  Fucking do something already you hacks. 

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Thanks Bob. Just pointing out that you wanted more you got less. I wasn't wrong yet you and your wolfpack found reasons to hound me about suggesting sound depth pieces. Get over yourself. Your post wasn't about baseball or baseball players it's about me .

Wasn’t wrong about what? Garrett Stone hasn’t taken an at bat in the 2023 season yet.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

SF needs to lock up Correa ASAP so the trad market opens up.  I’m fucking sick of watching big league orgs toss around large contracts to improve their teams while the asshats here pretend they are tapped out and pinch pennies.  Fucking do something already you hacks. 

It’s really something to see the best teams in baseball continue to get better, while the Sox have gotten worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

After watching what real teams with owners that give a $hit do to improve their teams, is anyone still surprised these chicken $hits canceled SoxFest? They would get eviscerated by EVERYONE. As long as JR owns this team, "mired in mediocrity" is the ceiling. If Portland hadn't passed on Michael, this stiff would have been run out of town on a rail 30 years ago. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Bogart's gone,red sox desperate and willing to spend and deal prospects,hahn laughing

7 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Wasn’t wrong about what? Garrett Stone hasn’t taken an at bat in the 2023 season yet.

Just based on prior histories, age scouting reports and previous seasons and all other stuff available my picks were better. Same stuff you always research when determining why one player is better than another. I assume you know all this already but then again you had already made an argument against Garrett using he could be out of options and didnt bother to look it up yourself. SO again you're arguing when you have no idea what you are talking about more against me than the players.

I mean when you don't do your own research yet continuously argue against me it has to be personal otherwise you don't care if I keep making you look like an idiot. I mean seriously your continuing this over 31 year old Mark Payton and 28 yr old Victor Reyes ? All I'm trying to do is improve the team very cheaply on the margins yet you want to fight about Payton and Reyes vs Garrett and Aquino seriously ?

I would expect any Sox fan to say yea Payton and Reyes are pretty bad depth pieces and those cheap SOB's can't even spent $2M or whatever it would've taken on 2  decent backups. I better not see you crying at all about Leury, Payton or Reyes (if signed) when they replace an injured Sox OF next year. Or when they stick Sheets or Eloy back in the OF.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1
  • TLR 1

40 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just based on prior histories, age scouting reports and previous seasons and all other stuff available my picks were better. Same stuff you always research when determining why one player is better than another. I assume you know all this already but then again you had already made an argument against Garrett using he could be out of options and didnt bother to look it up yourself. SO again you're arguing when you have no idea what you are talking about more against me than the players.

I mean when you don't do your own research yet continuously argue against me it has to be personal otherwise you don't care if I keep making you look like an idiot. I mean seriously your continuing this over 31 year old Mark Payton and 28 yr old Victor Reyes ? All I'm trying to do is improve the team very cheaply on the margins yet you want to fight about Payton and Reyes vs Garrett and Aquino seriously ?

I would expect any Sox fan to say yea Payton and Reyes are pretty bad depth pieces and those cheap SOB's can't even spent $2M or whatever it would've taken on 2  decent backups. I better not see you crying at all about Leury, Payton or Reyes (if signed) when they replace an injured Sox OF next year. Or when they stick Sheets or Eloy back in the OF.

You once argued they should have been playing Nick Williams. /end discussion

You’re arguing nothing here. Who knows. Maybe the Sox had interest but he chose a team with a clearer path to more playing time. He got a MLB deal with a rebuilding team. Teams that are in their competitive window don’t do that. One thing I do know is posting a AAAA player’s name 20 times a fuckin day certainly isn’t going to help the the team in anyway. Time to move on.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Something worth considering since we are all disappointed that a deal wasn't accomplished at the meetings...most of the players we were hopeful of signing are still available.  All this talk of signing leftover players is premature IMO.

The problem is that the Sox are only targeting leftover players.