2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/rays-dfa-j-p-feyereisen.html

JP Feyerisen was DFA'd by the Rays. Great numbers last year but had surgery to repair the labrum and rotator cuff. Expected to miss most of the year but maybe worth a minor league signing? Or one of those creative 2 year deals?

The Sox do still have roster slots open.  They could at least put in a claim with holding the roster slot open in mind.

31 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/rays-dfa-j-p-feyereisen.html

JP Feyerisen was DFA'd by the Rays. Great numbers last year but had surgery to repair the labrum and rotator cuff. Expected to miss most of the year but maybe worth a minor league signing? Or one of those creative 2 year deals?

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox do still have roster slots open.  They could at least put in a claim with holding the roster slot open in mind.

Just saw the update that the Rays expect to find a trade partner for him. He is controllable through 2026.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hey!  All the teams interested in our made up TA rumor, plus the Twins.

Am really curious what the Twins pivot to if they miss out on Correa and Swanson.  Part of me wants them to win the Swanson bidding because I think that could be a franchise altering move in a bad way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Strippling is another guy I'd rather have than Clevinger...

I remember him having success in a swing-man role with the Dodgers bouncing back and forth between bullpen and rotation. Idk what his role will be with the Giants but there’s value in that role. I think before this move, Junis was bumped to that role post-Manaea signing.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

20 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

The White Sox and Blue Jays have pretty similar payrolls, at least pre-arb, but the difference is that the "bad contracts" on the White Sox are either more temporary (Grandal for only one year) or probably not as bad as people think (Moncada could feasibly return to at least 2021 levels without needing a power increase, and even if he doesn't it's only two more years guaranteed).

Sox fans act like these are franchise-breaking albatrosses, but they aren't like the Blue Jays where they are stuck paying Jose Berrios (who, for reference, was markedly worse than Giolito in 2022) another $120 million over 6 years. Nevertheless, the Blue Jays are still the ones simply paying over the mistakes and making them less important as a result.

Every team has bad contracts, but the bad contracts on the Sox aren't even that bad (comparatively speaking), which makes the lack of spending over the issues even more frustrating

• Thanks 1