2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

I just want him gone.  Too much TLR taint, on top of sucking ass far too often for way too much money.

His contract actually looks reasonable now if you believe his peripherals over his actual pitching performance last year. Let's hope the teams that are interested didn't watch him pitch last year. Cause when he didn't have it, he was unwatchable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If anyone takes even close to half of Kelly's deal you send him packking.

28 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

I could see Kelly having a better season than Graveman next year.

Me thinks Kelly is going to be very, very useful in 23. Bullpen arms are fickle AF. He had a very goofy season in 22, has an incredible arm and certainly knows what he’s doing out there. The salary isn’t ideal, but especially if Liam gets moved, Kelly is going to be needed. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Me thinks Kelly is going to be very, very useful in 23. Bullpen arms are fickle AF. He had a very goofy season in 22, has an incredible arm and certainly knows what he’s doing out there. The salary isn’t ideal, but especially if Liam gets moved, Kelly is going to be needed. 

There's just nothing sustainable at all about a .382 BABIP. I don't care how fringey your command is. The walk rate is higher than you'd like, but any pitcher who can put up the peripherals Kelly did last season will eventually get good results if they can sustain them.

47 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I actually think Kelly has a solid season next year, assuming he’s healthy. 

One thing about Kelly - for someone who has as electric of stuff - he really seems to have a hard time putting batters away (or at least he did last year). A lot of times I can remember him getting ahead of a hitter 0-2 and 1-2 and next thing you know he'd walk the guy or give up a hit.  

20 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

No one likes blaming BABIP for a players struggles even if that's mostly what was to blame.

Joe Kelly will be somewhat better if he stays healthy the entire season. I totally buy that. We saw a better version of him with the Dodgers, he put up a 2.67 ERA over 2020 and 2021. However, that’s as with a .243 BABIP. Same effect we saw last year going the other way.

Since he became a reliever full time, he has a .302 BABIP and a 3.96 ERA. I think that’s a plausible median for him, if healthy. He could be that; he could be better, he could be worse, but that’s a decent guess.

But, he also turns 35 this year and I absolutely think some of his issues last year were coming back too quickly from injury without a full training period. You should be legitimately surprised if he has no injury issues next year. That’s the wild card that suggests a worse number next year based on how much injury seemed to affect him in 2022. 

• Like 1

This is off topic but was just watching pitching ninja highlights of Pedro martinezs change up. So many old players do not pass the eye test, but holy hell Pedro will be an immortal. Any era, anywhere he dominates. 

So fortunate to have been at that game with the tremendous 13 pitch battle between him and Big Frank. One of the highlights of my baseball fandom.