2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

20 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No way the Sox are adding that much payroll.  If we aren’t capped out already, I bet we’re awfully close.  I’d say we have $10M max to work with and that’s likely being generous.  Only way to add Conforto or Segura is by trading a piece like Hendriks or Giolito.

Has Hahn flat out said “My team is on the floor”? Perhaps I missed this.

They may very well have reached their budget, but I think it’s more a presumption at this stage based on the 2022 s%*# show and the fact they are losing season ticket holders.

Hahn made savvy reactionary moves last year (Cueto, Elvis). If he is patient and the market for lower end FAs remain depressed, they have a chance to get what they need within a $200M ish payroll.

Im just trying to be optimistic until the Sox budget is known / Hahn states they are done. If they are done at this stage beyond Billy Hamilton type moves, than I don’t have reason for optimism in 2023 beyond possibly making the 16 team playoffs and subsequent early exit.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Has Hahn flat out said “My team is on the floor”? Perhaps I missed this.

They may very well have reached their budget, but I think it’s more a presumption at this stage based on the 2022 s%*# show and the fact they are losing season ticket holders.

Hahn made savvy reactionary moves last year (Cueto, Elvis, “Big Energy”). If he is patient and the market for lower end FAs remain depressed, they have a chance to get what they need if there is $10-$15M more available to spend proactively.

They're not signing another every day OF when they have Benintendi, Robert, Colas eventually, and Eloy DH.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Timmy trade?

Don't think it effects a possible TA market either way. More so teams that could be in on Correa if he becomes available again. Mets wanted him for sure. Would need to definitely move some players to make it work. Longshot, but could be beneficial. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

As part of hard retool it could, but clearly that’s not the direction we’re going in after signing Benintendi.

They could still be going for a hard retool. Hahn and Kenny are just in love with Benintendi. They've been after him for years.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

How so?

He explained it above.

17 minutes ago, Pal said:

Don't think it effects a possible TA market either way. More so teams that could be in on Correa if he becomes available again. Mets wanted him for sure. Would need to definitely move some players to make it work. Longshot, but could be beneficial.