2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

I'm still waiting for that middle of the order LH bat. If Hahn doesn't acquire one, who is going to fill that role? Once you ponder that question, the urgency should become more apparent. To me, that is a bigger void than the hole at second base.

The 3 through 5 hitters are all right handed; Robert, Eloy and Vaughn. The current choices to break up that string of RH hitters consists of Sheets, Grandal (providing he is healthy enough to catch), Moncada and Colas. Does anyone think that any of those guys should be counted upon to bat in the middle of the order?

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

I'm still waiting for that middle of the order LH bat. If Hahn doesn't acquire one, who is going to fill that role? Once you ponder that question, the urgency should become more apparent. To me, that is a bigger void than the hole at second base.

Colas is the savage middle of the order LH bat. It might take a few months to adjust but he should be the 4 or 5 hitter relatively soon. 

I dont think anyone they get in a trade at 2B is gonna be a 3,4,5 hitter. Neither McNeil nor Guillorme fits that profile. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I would guess the lineup looks like this as of right now:

1. Anderson SS

2. Benintendi LF

3. Robert CF

4. Eloy DH

5. Moncada 3B

6. Vaughn 1B

7. Grandal C

8. Sheets (or/and then after 3 weeks, Colas) RF

9. Romy

I wanted to put Vaughn in from of Moncada here but figured you probably need to break up the righties (Robert, Eloy, Vaughn) and lefties (Moncada, Grandal, Colas). Also didn't want to pencil in Moncada in the #2 spot as, to me anyway, he has to earn his way up. I put him 5th kind of by default but you're right, if we don't add another left-handed bat and Moncada and Grandal don't bounce back, it gets scary.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

he's another Madrigal level power guy.  eassssy pass

It's true he has no power but unlike NM he has very good defense and gets OBP a ton vs RHP. He had 118 WRC+ vs RHP last year even without power. 

He could be the LH platoon 2B vs RHP and against LHP we could play Romy/Sosa. 

He's worth about 5m in surplus value so we can probably get him for ReyLo and just keep LH if no one is making a blowout offer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

It's true he has no power but unlike NM he has very good defense and gets OBP a ton vs RHP. He had 118 WRC+ vs RHP last year even without power. 

He could be the LH platoon 2B vs RHP and against LHP we could play Romy/Sosa. 

He's worth about 5m in surplus value so we can probably get him for ReyLo and just keep LH if no one is making a blowout offer.

Yeah I'm not really concerned about power only players as hopefully improved health around the diamond and new coaches helps the guys already here. Just get good players.

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm not sure if I'd say "slightly better."

They're the same type of hitters. Lots of contact, not a lot of walks, swings at bad pitches, not a whole lot of power. Segura hits the ball a little harder and gets more singles cause he hits the ball on the ground more. Their Baseball Savant pages look pretty similar. I'm willing to bet if you aged Segura another 2 years he'd look exactly like Harrison did last year. 

Just now, chw42 said:

They're the same type of hitters. Lots of contact, not a lot of walks, swings at bad pitches, not a whole lot of power. Segura hits the ball a little harder and gets more singles cause he hits the ball on the ground more. Their Baseball Savant pages look pretty similar. I'm willing to bet if you aged Segura another 2 years he'd look exactly like Harrison did last year. 

Get him on a one year deal then 😁

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Get him on a one year deal then 😁

Crazy to think we can have Segura instead of Leury if they had any kind of restraint in free agency last year. That homer Leury hit in the ALDS probably ended up costing us $15 million. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Colas is the savage middle of the order LH bat. It might take a few months to adjust but he should be the 4 or 5 hitter relatively soon. 

I dont think anyone they get in a trade at 2B is gonna be a 3,4,5 hitter. Neither McNeil nor Guillorme fits that profile. 

Yeah, the hope is clearly Yoan recovers with a new coach, Grandal's rehab goes well, or Colas mashes like he did in the minors. Right now you've got 4 lefty bats (albeit 2 are switch hitters) in the everyday lineup, 5 if Sheets is hitting for a righty.

Alternatively, Montgomery just skyrockets to the majors. That'd be cool.

48 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Comparing the Sox development of young guys to the Astros is like comparing a steak from the Outback to Gibson's. 

True enough, but they don't load up on Josh Harrisons or Seguras either. And  in the last decade, the Sox did have 2 MI prospects that they apparently didn't have a clue about, but who are currently under 7 figure contracts.

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

1. Anderson SS

2. Benintendi LF

3. Robert CF

4. Eloy DH

5. Moncada 3B

6. Vaughn 1B

7. Grandal C

9. Romy

I wanted to put Vaughn in from of Moncada here but figured you probably need to break up the righties (Robert, Eloy, Vaughn) and lefties (Moncada, Grandal, Colas). Also didn't want to pencil in Moncada in the #2 spot as, to me anyway, he has to earn his way up. I put him 5th kind of by default but you're right, if we don't add another left-handed bat and Moncada and Grandal don't bounce back, it gets scary.

I really think Colas starts the season as our RF.

22 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I really think Colas starts the season as our RF.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

1. Anderson SS

2. Benintendi LF

3. Robert CF

4. Eloy DH

5. Moncada 3B

6. Vaughn 1B

7. Grandal C

9. Romy

That 7-8-9 in the lineup is no bueno. Lots and lots of pressure on Colas to come up and hit from day 1. 

• Like 1

An interesting garbage bin guy to ask about is Schoop. I don't really understand what led to the absolutely bonkers-good defensive year last year, but he's clearly good to very good most years at 2b.

He's also a good club house guy. 

The tigers are rebuilding, they don't need a vet at 2b for a 7 mill year like Avila.

Obviously from a optics standpoint, collecting another member of the "historically bad offensively in 2022" club may not be popular.

It is hard to believe how big that drop off was. But he had a babip go down to .230 from a guy typically at Tim Anderson levels of BABIP. His hard hit profile was fine, his medium hit was also fine. 

Anyway i'm sorry.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

An interesting garbage bin guy to ask about is Schoop. I don't really understand what led to the absolutely bonkers-good defensive year last year, but he's clearly good to very good most years at 2b.

The tigers are rebuilding, they don't need a vet at 2b for a 7 mill year like Avila.

Obviously from a optics standpoint, collecting another member of the "historically bad offensively in 2022" club may not be popular.

It is hard to believe how big that drop off was. But he had a babip go down to .230 from a guy typically at Tim Anderson levels of BABIP. His hard hit profile was fine, his medium hit was also fine. 

Anyway i'm sorry.

I feel like the Tigers would have to eat most of that contract for us to be interested. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Anyway i'm sorry.

Right about now the Tigers are probably wishing they had not signed Baez for the the production he gave them for what they paid.  

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yankees DFA'd Luetge to make room for Kahnle. And to think we're paying Diekman $4 million this year to suck when there's a quality relief lefty on waivers...

Bullpens arms are so up and down…so unpredictable. Nobody has any clue how Diekman will look this year. Same with Kelly. Same with Bummer. Same with…you got the point. 

Sure, you could say that about other baseball players too, but it’s especially true for relief pitchers.