2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

20 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

found our bench 2B. loll  But in all seriousness... how bad is his D at 2B?  I assume unplayable esspecially with the no shifting?

I haven't seen people mention this much, but we still don't have a starting second baseman. I guess unless they plan on running Romy Gonzalez out there. But Leury is not the answer. Leury Garcia needs to be a full-time bench player. 

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

I haven't seen people mention this much, but we still don't have a starting second baseman. I guess unless they plan on running Romy Gonzalez out there. But Leury is not the answer. Leury Garcia needs to be a full-time bench player. 

Nvm just saw there was an entire conversation about 2nd base one page back lol

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

The insiders continue to say that they expect to play the young guys, Sosa and Gonzalez, at 2b.

5 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

how? their roster blows

Really?  Their pitching is still suspect, but as far as position players go I think I would only take Vaughn, Eloy (DH) and Robert over their northside counterpart.  Cubs are in the discussion for best middle infield defense post shift ban.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Really?  Their pitching is still suspect, but as far as position players go I think I would only take Vaughn, Eloy (DH) and Robert over their northside counterpart.  Cubs are in the discussion for best middle infield defense post shift ban.

Yep. And I'd take the Cubs starting pitching over Sox (just re-upped Smiley for 2 yrs.). You can even make a case for Bellinger over Robert if Belli rebounds.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 1

10 hours ago, Flash said:

Someone hsn't been paying attention.

In the second half, the Cubs’ rotation ranked third in the Majors in ERA (2.89). Only the Astros (2.70) and Dodgers (2.73) were better after the All-Star break. They have since added Taillon to the mix for 2023.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

In the second half, the Cubs’ rotation ranked third in the Majors in ERA (2.89). Only the Astros (2.70) and Dodgers (2.73) were better after the All-Star break. They have since added Taillon to the mix for 2023.

Reminds me of the 2021 tigers parlaying that to 2022 success.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

That was some amazing work by Boras to get that much imo. Totally understandable why Sox locked up Benni

This was more than I thought Comforto would get. Hell that's half of Benintendi's contract and 3 years less. The opt out is worth something too. 

14 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

That was some amazing work by Boras to get that much imo. Totally understandable why Sox locked up Benni

I am not really that surprised.  Had Conforto not hurt himself, he would have gotten 5/$100M easy even with a pretty poor 2021 season.  After 2020, Conforto was easily the more attractive player between him and Nimmo, and was looking at a deal approaching $200M.  

Honestly, I would have been thrilled if the Sox signed Conforto to this deal, before or after Beni.  That said, I will take Benintendi - I came around to the better defense after watching the 2022 White Sox everyday, and Beni is a much better fit for improving that.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Also feel like there's some desperation there on SF's part to get someone locked up. They had Judge, then didn't. They lost Rodon. Correa was there, then he wasn't.

The dollars might be a "hey we CAN'T miss on this guy with so few options left" move.