2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Or perhaps There is a reason he chosen to be a primary DH rather than use much of his versatility.

The same guy was a +1 OAA player in a much larger season in 2021, and there was no change in his sprint speed from year to year. I have no knowledge of what his injury was, but clearly 2022 was vastly different than previous seasons. 

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Willingly going into seasons with black holes that are easily fixable is the White Sox way.

Don’t worry, they want a defensive backup catcher and 4th outfielder according to NBB.  No reason not to believe him when he says they have limited funds.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Don’t worry, they want a defensive backup catcher and 4th outfielder according to NBB.  No reason not to believe him when he says they have limited funds.

I have no doubt if the Sox are contenders they'll trade for a Segura equivalent in July. But then you're giving up prospects, taking on money, and willingly opting into what's likely to be 3 months of replacement level production at 2nd. All of this could be avoided just by giving Segura the Joe Kelly contract.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

The thought of Romy or Sosa having to face tough RHP is horrifying.

It took (literally) like 5 PA's of watching Sosa swing over sliders for people to want him demoted. Expecting Romy to even be a functional big league hitter is a huge leap of faith. Adding 1 high floor player to the mix would make such a difference, but quality depth & solid but unexciting players to round out rosters has never been something the Sox valued at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Yaz could play next season without knees and I think he'll be better/more valuable than Romy + Sosa.

I’m 100% with you on the need for a capable 2B, but I have a hard time seeing Yaz being more valuable than either or the combo of both.  Even if they both suck. 

Edited by Tnetennba

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

I’m 100% with you on the need for a capable 2B, but I have a hard time seeing Yaz being more valuable than either or the combo of both.  Even if they both suck. 

If Grandal is completely cooked and gets DFA'd mid-season, Seby & Carlos Perez is still functional enough to be better than replacement level. I don't think the same is true at 2nd right now.

• Like 1

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

If Grandal is completely cooked and gets DFA'd mid-season, Seby & Carlos Perez is still functional enough to be better than replacement level. I don't think the same is true at 2nd right now.

Disagree. If Grandal is cooked both catcher and 2B will be a disaster. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Disagree. If Grandal is cooked both catcher and 2B will be a disaster. 

Seby's defense alone makes him valuable even if regression is coming for the bat.

edit - I don't want to make it sound like I think the Sox are secure at catcher. they aren't. It's just that I feel better, relatively speaking, about catcher than 2nd base.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I completely agree there.  They need a better 2B option but it feels like they are content.  Or are simply waiting for their favourite washed up overpay. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox need good players, not crap. LaStella is crap.

It's amazing to me people say give La Stella a shot but want Colas to earn his way onto the team by playing in Charlotte 1st. Old,bad, injured LH non HR hitter come on down. Young LH HR hitter who is way ahead of Sheets in RF defensively nah earn your way here and  you can't play too many rookies because we're in the window !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's amazing to me people say give La Stella a shot but want Colas to earn his way onto the team by playing in Charlotte 1st. Old,bad, injured LH non HR hitter come on down. Young LH HR hitter who is way ahead of Sheets in RF defensively nah earn your way here and  you can't play too many rookies because we're in the window !

To be fair no one has said he needs to “earn” anything. It’s all about the correct call of getting that extra cash ear of control baby.

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Who exactly is saying give LaStella a shot?  All I’ve seen is people saying he’s awful now.