2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

It's not that I don't believe in Sosa or Romy. I actually believe in them fine and don't particularly think 2B is a very important position. That said, when a 2 year, 17mm for a very serviceable veteran 2B who can also play SS and 3B is available during "championship window" if you're a competent franchise you take that flier. Worst case is you have a 5X better Leury who can be your utility IF for a reasonable price on a 2 year deal. 

End of the day our GM (with TLR pressure and love) has Leury on 2/11mm deal. 

These are the type of mistakes that are just gut wrenching. They're not huge, but they're impactful 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Segura 1.8 WAR 

Harrison 1.4 WAR

I think it's about time we roll dice with young folks here.   If we can't get 2 WAR from Lenny/Romy, then we just suck at developing even average talent. 

Leury Garcia: -1.1 WAR.

Jake Burger: 0.3 WAR.

It's certainly possible that the White Sox can get 2 WAR from Lenyn and Romy, but it's also entirely possible that those guys could be good players long term and struggle this year for whatever reason and give you less than that. It's also entirely possible that Moncada could benefit from having a legitimate backup to give him some rest, as could Anderson who hit the IL twice last year, and those guys could benefit from having a more reliable veteran in the rotation with them, allowing them to get like 300 or 400 plate appearances each rather than being counted on as full time regular rotation players.

If one of them gets off to a bad start for their first 100 plate appearances, or Moncada or Anderson pull a muscle early in the season, what exactly is the backup plan? 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Segura 1.8 WAR 

Harrison 1.4 WAR

I think it's about time we roll dice with young folks here.   If we can't get 2 WAR from Lenny/Romy, then we just suck at developing even average talent. 

That’s disingenuous.  I opposed getting Segura for Kimbrel (had no idea they were looking at Pollock) and I was not in favor of signing him, but Segura missed over a third of the season after getting hurt on a bunt.  He’s better than Harrison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me, the Sosa/Romy thing is similar to Colas in that they can all be impact players and need the opportunity, but how long is the leash if they struggle?

It seems stupidly long given that there are no fallback options. Typically, I don’t mind this approach, but for a team that is still telling people they are contenders, it seems pretty shortsighted and arrogant (aka pretty White Sox).

And as others have said, the fallback options will eventually come in early August and all they’ll cost is more thinning out of a farm system that finally seems to be turning itself around.

Cool stuff.

Segura's deal is 3 years with a 10 million option or 2 mil buyout. Not that great of a deal anymore for his age and declining bat. Roll with the youngins and sign Duvall as RF insurance and power. One of Romy/Sosa/Rodriguez is going to be league average, just hope it doesn't take 2 seasons to figure out whom. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

If I were Hahn, I’d go sign Duvall to be our 4th OF and and trade for Tony Kemp to be part of a 2B platoon.  I know Tony is coming off a subpar year with the bat with some ugly underlying Statcast figures, but he’d provide solid insurance at 2B and let Romy or Sosa rest against tough RHP at a minimum.  And given the versatility of Duvall, Leury, & Romy, it seems like we could roster a bench guy who has limited flexibility (2B / LF only).

Obviously this would all be dependent on the price, but I can’t imagine that Kemp would cost all that much to acquire given he’s only got one year of control left and for the reasons mentioned above.  I think a C tier prospect would be well worth the hedge Tony would provide at 2B.  The bigger question is can we even afford to add the ~$8.5M in salary Duvall & Kemp would likely cost.

Regardless, our level of positional depth is not acceptable a the moment and Hahn better find a few pieces to help us in the event of underperformance or injury.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If I were Hahn, I’d go sign Duvall to be our 4th OF and and trade for Tony Kemp to be part of a 2B platoon.  I know Tony is coming off a subpar year with the bat with some ugly underlying Statcast figures, but he’d provide solid insurance at 2B and let Romy or Sosa rest against tough RHP at a minimum.  And given the versatility of Duvall, Leury, & Romy, it seems like we could roster a bench guy who has limited flexibility (2B / LF only).

Obviously this would all be dependent on the price, but I can’t imagine that Kemp would cost all that much to acquire given he’s only got one year of control left and for the reasons mentioned above.  I think a C tier prospect would be well worth the hedge Tony would provide at 2B.  The bigger question is can we even afford to add the ~$8.5M in salary Duvall & Kemp would likely cost.

Regardless, our level of positional depth is not acceptable a the moment and Hahn better find a few pieces to help us in the event of underperformance or injury.

Yeah I would be ok going with a platoon at 2B with Romy. Sosa being so young can open in AAA. If the platoon isn't working and Sosa is mashing, bring him up.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Leury Garcia: -1.1 WAR.

Jake Burger: 0.3 WAR.

It's certainly possible that the White Sox can get 2 WAR from Lenyn and Romy, but it's also entirely possible that those guys could be good players long term and struggle this year for whatever reason and give you less than that. It's also entirely possible that Moncada could benefit from having a legitimate backup to give him some rest, as could Anderson who hit the IL twice last year, and those guys could benefit from having a more reliable veteran in the rotation with them, allowing them to get like 300 or 400 plate appearances each rather than being counted on as full time regular rotation players.

If one of them gets off to a bad start for their first 100 plate appearances, or Moncada or Anderson pull a muscle early in the season, what exactly is the backup plan? 

Sosa, Romy, Rodriguez.   Leury.  Burger.  And if those guys can't cover it, there will be a Harrison or similar available.
The risk of not having 1.5 WAR surety is not much of a risk.  Plus, if one or more is really good defensively, that will provide some surety.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Sosa, Romy, Rodriguez.   Leury.  Burger.  And if those guys can't cover it, there will be a Harrison or similar available.
The risk of not having 1.5 WAR surety is not much of a risk.  Plus, if one or more is really good defensively, that will provide some surety.

I'm starting to come around to bringing back Harrison for less than we he would have been owed for the bench.

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You can get Josh Harrison in a trade at the deadline for Jared Kelly's smelly sock.  I don't want to sign a guy like that.  Let the kids play and earn their spot, or trade for an actual upgrade. 

I like the way you’re thinking here. Go get a real secondbaseman or let these guys battle. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Timmy U said:

That’s disingenuous.  I opposed getting Segura for Kimbrel (had no idea they were looking at Pollock) and I was not in favor of signing him, but Segura missed over a third of the season after getting hurt on a bunt.  He’s better than Harrison.

2022 ABs

Segura 354 for 1.8 WAR 

Harrison 386 for 1.4 WAR

He's marginally better.   But not worth $8.5 million for me if I think Rommy or Sosa can pull a 1.5 WAR on their own for $600K next season. 

4 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You can get Josh Harrison in a trade at the deadline for Jared Kelly's smelly sock.  I don't want to sign a guy like that.  Let the kids play and earn their spot, or trade for an actual upgrade. 

You can get a Josh Harrison in late January on the cheap if nothing else pans out.  I sure hope they are aiming higher though. 

Going with black holes for ~2-3 months is enough to sink your team in a division race that's likely to be tight on a roster that has minimal margin for error.

Romy needs to take a huge step forward to be functional at the plate against big league pitching & expecting Sosa to hit quality RHP is a huge ask at this stage of his development. A role player type is needed even if it's not exciting.

18 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Jean Segura's bat at 3b in that park?  Good luck!

Marlins are one of the few franchises that are even worse than the Sox, and yet have a few WS over 25 years. I'm not entirely sure what their thought process has been over the last few years ... they've stock piled pitching talent, some that has panned out, others that have not and continue to tread water. Whats the real difference between Brian Anderson at 3B and Jean Segura with the latter costing more. 

By the way, I've said that name like 12 times this offseason .... Brian Anderson makes so much sense in my own opinion as a RF/3B until Colas comes up. He's also done LF, 1B, SS, and 2B for short, short time frames. He's not amazing but can give you .255/.340obp with some pop and a nice amount of doubles. In short, he's got a strong arm, can barrel and nice exit velocity plus take walks. 1 year and 4mm might get it done. Gives you a nice option at a few positions. Probably comparable to sheets honestly, so probably don't see a deal get done, but always thought he was a nice fit. 

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1