2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’d take the guy with the above average obp of .334 every day of the week

This is a case where OPS goes astray. The OBP is significantly better but the difference in slugging isn’t very significant. Yet the OPS is nearly the same. .334 OBP guy has way more value 

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

This is a case where OPS goes astray. The OBP is significantly better but the difference in slugging isn’t very significant. Yet the OPS is nearly the same. .334 OBP guy has way more value 

Are you trying to say that OBP is more important than SLG? Or are you saying that a .039 drop in OBP is not offset by a .029 increase in slugging? The former would be a limitation of OPS (which weighs OBP and SLG equally). The latter is just noting that 39>29.

Regardless, I don't think either player has "way more value." That .029 difference in slugging resulted in the second player having nearly twice as many HRs (15 vs. 8), and a few more RBIs (53 vs. 44) in a similar number of at bats.  That's probably not enough to offset the OBP difference, but it does make it close -  which is exactly what's implied by OPS.

Edited by ChiSoxTrojan

3 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Are you trying to say that OBP is more important than SLG? Or are you saying that a .039 drop in OBP is not offset by a .029 increase in slugging? The former would be a limitation of OPS (which weighs OBP and SLG equally). The latter is just noting that 39>29.

Regardless, I don't think either player has "way more value." That .029 difference in slugging resulted in the second player having nearly twice as many HRs (15 vs. 8), and a few more RBIs (53 vs. 44) in a similar number of at bats.  That's probably not enough to offset the OBP difference, but it does make it close -  which is exactly what's implied by OPS.

RBIs have no part of OPS.  HR does in a secondary way of SLG and OBP.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

RBIs have no part of OPS.  HR does in a secondary way of SLG and OBP.

I am aware that RBIs do not directly go into OPS, but they are correlated. And ultimately what matters is run production, which RBIs are part of.

Higher OBP tends to result in more runs scored. Higher SLG tends to result in more runs batted in. Both are important contributions to total offensive production, which is why they both factor into OPS equally.

56 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

There's more to take into account than just those  stats. You got an old guy past his prime and a guy about to be 27. Gavin was a .906 OPS, .346 OBP 155 wRC+ at home. Couldn't hit for s%*# on the road .508 OPS, .243 OBP and 43 wRC+.

I don't think he's a .900 OPS guy but he's also not a 500 OPS guy . I suppose if you split the difference he's a .700 OPS guy ? But if he can ever replicate that home OPS on the road he'd be a pretty damn good hitter. So Gavin does have upside if he can find a place to get PT .He's not a FA til 2028 but the Cubs would have had to trade for him and pay an equal salary to Hosmer. As a GM I'd probably go with Sheets just to find out if he can become a 30 HR guy and since they do have a huge opening at 1st base.

Cubs just went with the cheapest guy possible I suppose.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I like this quite a bit for Detroit. Three big league contributors. Sands was good in upper minors. Vierling a solid platoon option with Meadows. Maton is the headliner though. Dombrowski should’ve kept his bench in tact and signed Matt Moore 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I like this quite a bit for Detroit. Three big league contributors. Sands was good in upper minors. Vierling a solid platoon option with Meadows. Maton is the headliner though. Dombrowski should’ve kept his bench in tact and signed Matt Moore 

Does Maton slide into 2B making Schoop more available?