2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

10 hours ago, fathom said:

It’s so frustrating to see teams spend money to put finishing touches on their team, like Jays with Belt, while the Sox are too broke to fill giant holes.

Going into contending seasons with black holes on the roster & no depth anywhere to be found is the White Sox way after all πŸ™‚

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Correa to Twins makes too much sense. let that dude rot on a 3rd place team as an albatross that prevents them from getting good pitching.Β 

I'd much rather see the Twins spending on 3rd or 4th tier players than stars like Correa, personally. The knee is what teams are seemingly concerned about and clearly it's not affected his performance at all to this point of his career.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They'll inevitably overpay for a closer/backend reliever at the deadline.

I can't get this idea of them trading prospects *and* money for Segura come July when he could have just been signed over the winter out of my head

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 1

1 year, 8.5mm or two years and 17mm ....

Β 

I'm sorry but that's just reasonable. I don't care about his injury history or that his underlying data points to some struggles. I've seen year after year of guys like Rich Hill get deals. I've seen teams run out piss poor #5's from the minors while trying to be competitive. Hell, last year we'd be dead in the water without Johnny. Guys like VV continue to get several million a year ..

Not only the Sox, but how the rest of the league passed on him after this past season at that price is asinine.Β 

Also agree that the Marlins are now likely to trade a SP. They should've been in that mindset regardless, but now should really be in that mindset. But who knows, marlins are a terrible franchise. If I'm them I'm trading Luzardo and Pablo both to the highest bidder and which returns the best AAA and AA bats.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I can't get this idea of them trading prospects *and* money for Segura come July when he could have just been signed over the winter out of my head

Love the reactive approach of letting the first four months of the season play out first so they can see if they caught all the breaks they were hoping to.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Snopek said:

Love the reactive approach of letting the first four months of the season play out first so they can see if they caught all the breaks they were hoping to.

Hahn/KW have allowed 2B to be a black hole for almost 20 years but I'm sure this will be the year they finally got it right πŸ™‚

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Hahn/KW have allowed 2B to be a black hole for almost 20 years but I'm sure this will be the year they finally got it right πŸ™‚

Well, one of the reasons they've got it wrong was when they did not believe in their internal options and instead went hunting or 2 WAR guys while their player blossomed into an MVP candidate elsewhere.Β 

Lightning might not strike twice, but it is a consideration with Sosa.

• Like 1

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Honestly 2B is the only position in the farm system where I think we may have one guy work out lol

We've just seen it go wrong so many times. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

plus, even if Segura was here, you're 1 injury away from Sosa or Romy getting a ton of ABs. The goal should always be more quality players than starting spots available.

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

They say doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity, but what they don’t tell you is getting it right one of those times is the definition of a super genius front office.Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Well, one of the reasons they've got it wrong was when they did not believe in their internal options and instead went hunting or 2 WAR guys while their player blossomed into an MVP candidate elsewhere.Β 

Lightning might not strike twice, but it is a consideration with Sosa.

The Sox haven't had a 2nd basemen go above 2 fWAR since 2005. A 2 WAR guy would be an enormous upgrade given what a black hole the position has been for decades.

I'm relatively high on Sosa too, but that still doesn't mean clearing obstacles out of the way for him or Romy to be plan A at 2nd base is a good idea. There is a ton of performance risk with both of those guys and it once again leave the Sox with no infield depth to speak of.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

The Sox haven't had a 2nd basemen go above 2 fWAR since 2005. A 2 WAR guy would be an enormous upgrade given what a black hole the position has been for decades.

I'm relatively high on Sosa too, but that still doesn't mean clearing obstacles out of the way for him or Romy to be plan A at 2nd base is a good idea. There is a ton of performance risk with both of those guys and it once again leave the Sox with no infield depth to speak of.

Well that's the thing, I don't like hunting for average because then you tend to get below average in FA. Hahn always pays in FA to stabilize and ends up wasting a bunch of money that should be filled internally.Β 

In theory you can then bundle up that money for a difference maker, but that's so far from how the sox operate.

Anyway I still think we should try to get Schoop for a song.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Well that's the thing, I don't like hunting for average because then you tend to get below average in FA. Hahn always pays in FA to stabilize and ends up wasting a bunch of money that should be filled internally.Β 

In theory you can then bundle up that money for a difference maker, but that's so far from how the sox operate.

Anyway I still think we should try to get Schoop for a song.

Hunting for average is good enough for me considering how low the floor for Romy/Sosa combo is and how tight the division is likely to be. Spending several months with replacement level production or worse at 2B could absolutely be enough to cost the Sox come September.

57 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Correa to Twins makes too much sense. let that dude rot on a 3rd place team as an albatross that prevents them from getting good pitching.Β 

I just don't see Correa becoming an albatross.Β  Especially if the deal improves from 10/$285M, which is sounds like it is.Β  I think this is a bad scenario for the Sox.Β Β 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Micah Johnson is the most successful White Sox 2b in the past 20 years. (iykyk)

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Hunting for average is good enough for me considering how low the floor for Romy/Sosa combo is and how tight the division is likely to be. Spending several months with replacement level production or worse at 2B could absolutely be enough to cost the Sox come September.

that's fine, but ... it's worth considering that Jean Segura is going to be 33 and may already be in defensive decline after getting a nice bump from his move to 2b (FRAA had him negative last year after good ratings in 2020-21) . After being a model of availability, last year he was in only 98 games.

So the idea that it's like, get segura, bank on stability. That's just not how we've seen things play out with these second contract FAs that we think sign reasonable deals with us.

With schoop at least you could hope for offensive regression, and his defensive regression is coming down from one of the best years at second base in the last decade so at least we are finally getting a very good defender.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I just don't see Correa becoming an albatross.Β  Especially if the deal improves from 10/$285M, which is sounds like it is.Β  I think this is a bad scenario for the Sox.Β Β 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Minneapolis. So their plan going into this offseason was they could spend $30mm annually for 8-10 years, but if they swung and missed on that opportunity, that they'd spend zero? Like, how does that make sense?

I get if you don't like anybody enough to commit to, no need to throw away money. But they could've used a Segura. Definitely had a hole in RF (though also too many AAAA OF's). They have a weird mix of OF/1B all who in a perfect world could be something, but more likely than not are just average. Just doesn't seem like the type of team that should be spending $30mm annually ... or nothing.Β 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

that's fine, but ... it's worth considering that Jean Segura is going to be 33 and may already be in defensive decline after getting a nice bump from his move to 2b (FRAA had him negative last year after good ratings in 2020-21) . After being a model of availability, last year he was in only 98 games.

So the idea that it's like, get segura, bank on stability. That's just not how we've seen things play out with these second contract FAs that we think sign reasonable deals with us.

With schoop at least you could hope for offensive regression, and his defensive regression is coming down from one of the best years at second base in the last decade so at least we are finally getting a very good defender.

Segura is so meh.Β  I am glad the Sox passed on Segura for what he got.Β  If we aren't getting a really good 2B that fits the team well - which we obviously are not at this point - just give me a platoon guy that can also cover the OF.Β  I think that is a much better fit than trying to repeat the Harrison tactic again in 23, or signing a declining player to a 2 year deal.Β Β 

3 minutes ago, he gone. said:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Minneapolis. So their plan going into this offseason was they could spend $30mm annually for 8-10 years, but if they swung and missed on that opportunity, that they'd spend zero? Like, how does that make sense?

I get if you don't like anybody enough to commit to, no need to throw away money. But they could've used a Segura. Definitely had a hole in RF (though also too many AAAA OF's). They have a weird mix of OF/1B all who in a perfect world could be something, but more likely than not are just average. Just doesn't seem like the type of team that should be spending $30mm annually ... or nothing.Β 

Yeah, all their balls were in the Correa court with seemingly little in the way of back up plans.Β  Strange strategy.Β  That said, they're very likely getting Correa now.Β  I know some folks, and they've very confident atm.Β  Which is a damn shame.Β Β 

Correa will also be domino for them; Kepler is good as gone, and they will add SP.Β  I could see them being a fit in a larger deal for some of the Marlins SP.Β  Β 

I just would have much preferred to see them try to patch work a roster with their savings than add Correa and build around him.Β  As i've said before, I am not privy to Correa's medical records, but I don't see him turning into a pumpkin anytime soon.Β Β 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Segura is so meh.Β  I am glad the Sox passed on Segura for what he got.Β  If we aren't getting a really good 2B that fits the team well - which we obviously are not at this point - just give me a platoon guy that can also cover the OF.Β  I think that is a much better fit than trying to repeat the Harrison tactic again in 23, or signing a declining player to a 2 year deal.Β Β 

should also be a red flag that the marlins signed him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, all their balls were in the Correa court with seemingly little in the way of back up plans.Β  Strange strategy.Β  That said, they're very likely getting Correa now.Β  I know some folks, and they've very confident atm.Β  Which is a damn shame.Β Β 

Correa will also be domino for them; Kepler is good as gone, and they will add SP.Β  I could see them being a fit in a larger deal for some of the Marlins SP.Β  Β 

I just would have much preferred to see them try to patch work a roster with their savings than add Correa and build around him.Β  As i've said before, I am not privy to Correa's medical records, but I don't see him turning into a pumpkin anytime soon.Β Β 

That the team that had him last year and canΒ leastΒ afford dead weight on their roster is apparently still ok with the deal they offered, that should be a sign.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

That the team that had him last year and canΒ leastΒ afford dead weight on their roster is apparently still ok with the deal they offered, that should be a sign.

fwiw - I've heard its not the same deal.Β