2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well they were a third place team behind the Sox last year with Correa, so not sure the math really checks out.  Both teams of course were far from full strength.  

However, they did have a better run differential than the White Sox - the White Sox outperformed their record in 1-run games (27-16 record) while Minnesota underperformed (20-28). That may have something to do with bullpen quality and it may also just be luck of the draw - the White Sox had a below .500 record in those games in 2021, while a last place Twins team had an above .500 record in that case. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

However, they did have a better run differential than the White Sox - the White Sox outperformed their record in 1-run games (27-16 record) while Minnesota underperformed (20-28). That may have something to do with bullpen quality and it may also just be luck of the draw - the White Sox had a below .500 record in those games in 2021, while a last place Twins team had an above .500 record in that case. 

And the Twins had competent management and the White Sox most certainly did not.  There are arguments both ways.  But all the chips fell, and the Twins were still behind the Sox even with the season going horribly off the rails.  The Twins were also crippled with injury to be sure, not discounting that.  

Its all conjecture, but I don't think its fair to confidently state the Twins are a better team than the Sox if they sign Correa.  But I do believe 2023 will be a three team race if the Twins ultimately do land him.    

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, all their balls were in the Correa court with seemingly little in the way of back up plans.  Strange strategy.  That said, they're very likely getting Correa now.  I know some folks, and they've very confident atm.  Which is a damn shame.  

Correa will also be domino for them; Kepler is good as gone, and they will add SP.  I could see them being a fit in a larger deal for some of the Marlins SP.   

I just would have much preferred to see them try to patch work a roster with their savings than add Correa and build around him.  As i've said before, I am not privy to Correa's medical records, but I don't see him turning into a pumpkin anytime soon.  

They also might be interested in Bauer

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Of all of the teams who could be in on Bauer, it has to be the Cubs.  With the ownership group they have, and the fanbase they have, they might be able to get away with it.

Is he worse than Aroldis Chapman??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

With Trevor Story out, gotta think Harrison and Andrus are both options for Boston. I’d like our Sox to eat Leury’s 11 mil and sign Elvis, but we know that’s not happening.

Even if the Sox were to sign Elvis, Leury is still the 26th man. It’s Romy that would probably lose his roster spot. No reason to cut Leury right now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Even if the Sox were to sign Elvis, Leury is still the 26th man. It’s Romy that would probably lose his roster spot. No reason to cut Leury right now. 

And Romy (or Sosa) would be back with the big league team by sometime in April. 

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Andrus hasn't played so much as an inning at any position other than SS.

2nd base is easier to play than SS and by all accounts he was at least a decent defensive shortstop. He also played on the 2B side of the diamond on shifts quite a bit, so it's not like he hasn't fielded a ball on that side of the field before. If he were to play 2B full-time he can learn all the intricacies of the position in ST. 

The question with Andrus isn't whether or not he can play 2B defensively, it's whether he'll hit better than the 75 wRC+ he put up in the years prior to last season. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chw42 said:

2nd base is easier to play than SS and by all accounts he was at least a decent defensive shortstop. He also played on the 2B side of the diamond on shifts quite a bit, so it's not like he hasn't fielded a ball on that side of the field before. If he were to play 2B full-time he can learn all the intricacies of the position in ST. 

The question with Andrus isn't whether or not he can play 2B defensively, it's whether he'll hit better than the 75 wRC+ he put up in the years prior to last season. 

And why would he come here to play 2B if other teams are looking at him to play SS on a regular basis?