2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

25 minutes ago, he gone. said:

well ... two more reasonable options off the board. Brian Anderson and Duvall are gone for the prices of $3.5mm ($2mm in possible incentives) and $7mm. 

We're down to basically Naquin & Robbie Grossman as one of the few options I'd accept. 

I can see the Sox signing Ben Gamel or Naquin - they've been tied to both previously. 

woo hoo. 

I would like Grossman personally. He was awful last year, but so was the rest of Detroit's offense. He's a decent defender, a switch hitter, takes walks, and had some pop once upon a time. 

Not saying I agree with it, but I think people are kidding themselves thinking the 4th OF’er hasn’t already been signed. It’s going to most likely be Marisnick like it or not. Clearly Marisnick, Hamilton and Reyes were signed to battle it out for the 4th OF’er spot…maybe Haseley gets a shot too.

• Like 1

oh, i'm not naïve to that. It's just crazy to me that's where were at. I set my expectations as a sox fan pretty low and Marisnick as my 3/4th OF is even lower than that. The rest of the offseason will just be

1 - Hahn speak, "always looking to add, comfortable with the men we have in the locker room"

2 - Fluff pieces. Colas ones have already begun. The next ones will focus on Sheets and his "professionalism" and work put in on improving his defense. How he takes it seriously. They'll note his improvements throughout 2021

Reality will be when Robert strains his flexor something or hamstring that during BP or stealing a base. Next thing you know our outfield is Billy Hamilton in CF and Sheets in RF. Colas will chase pitches and low and away, MLB pitchers will feast on it and Colas will be back down in AAA. We are now in a situation where Sheets is in a slump too but we have to keep playing him because he's our only option.  He's batting .206BA, but occasionally he hits a long homer or two and we get excited. Until he gets hurt for a stretch .... we now have Hamilton in CF and Reyes in RF. We are 36-40 and it's June. We are thinking to ourselves .... if only we signed an actual outfielder for $4mm. Oh well, there's always next year as we drink a $14 Modelo on the way back to our cars we parked for $27. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s going to take a ton of luck/health and some breakthrough performances to be more than a fringe contender in the worst division in baseball.  I’m ok with banking on bounceback seasons for many guys, but to rely on two rookies and have no depth creates zero margin for error.  It’s just bad planning and it’s scary to think what would of happened if Pollock exercised his player option.

I think they believe that Sheets can cover RF for 30-40 games.  I hate it, but its obvious that's the strategy.  There is really nowhere else to play him unless the really put Eloy in RF. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, he gone. said:

well ... two more reasonable options off the board. Brian Anderson and Duvall are gone for the prices of $3.5mm ($2mm in possible incentives) and $7mm. 

We're down to basically Naquin & Robbie Grossman as one of the few options I'd accept. 

I can see the Sox signing Ben Gamel or Naquin - they've been tied to both previously. 

woo hoo. 

With Beinintendi on board, Sox need a RH OF much more than a LH OF.  If they're  going to go LH OF, he needs to also be able to play 2B. 

Pham for $6mm is a lot compared to Brian Anderson at $3.5mm. In my opinion at least. 

The Cease line is music to the White Sox FO. The fact he is willing to do a "fair" deal is incredible news. Hope we can give him a really nice deal that keeps him here for a long, long time. 

I wanted Duvall.  The value saved in keeping Colas down for a bit would have helped pay the bill.

Marisnick was necessary cover for CF but still feels like a 5th OF. Even if you want to give Eloy some run in the spring and maybe not completely shut the door on him playing you are still short an outfielder if you aren't calling Colas up on opening day. 

Frustrating that the budget is so tight that we will either start the clock on a kid that has 240 ABs at or above AA... or you are starting the season with essentially a 1/2 and a 5. 

Brutal. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I wanted Duvall.  The value saved in keeping Colas down for a bit would have helped pay the bill.

Marisnick was necessary cover for CF but still feels like a 5th OF. Even if you want to give Eloy some run in the spring and maybe not completely shut the door on him playing you are still short an outfielder if you aren't calling Colas up on opening day. 

Frustrating that the budget is so tight that we will either start the clock on a kid that has 240 ABs at or above AA... or you are starting the season with essentially a 1/2 and a 5. 

Brutal. 

Once again it seems that all the talk by Hahn about trades and working to improve the team are all pure BS. The bottom line with this team under this ownership was, is and always will be fiscal responsibility and no accountability over winning. 

4 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

That's the only reason I keep looking in this thread. Damn White Sox. Injuries to Robert every damn year and we're going to have Jake Marisnick and Leury  as his replacement.

45 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Watching Pham and Duvall get $6m and $7m from other teams is painful

As least Duvall got some incentives that could get him up to $10. You could tell the Sox probably weren't even at the table. That's how you do a contract for Duvall. You offer him $7 and show him Robert's injury history and tell him he's going to get plenty of AB's.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

As least Duvall got some incentives that could get him up to $10. You could tell the Sox probably weren't even at the table. That's how you do a contract for Duvall. You offer him $7 and show him Robert's injury history and tell him he's going to get plenty of AB's.

It’s kind of sad how much we’re expecting athletic players in their mid 20s to get injured and miss significant time every year. I get having depth, but if we don’t get 140+ games from the guys we’re supposed to, then this isn’t going to work anyway. For now, I’m fairly happy with the projected 26. Let’s see how it goes with the new coaching staff and training staff. And there’s always the trade deadline if there’s a need that makes sense. 

• Like 1