2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

41 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right.  But there is nothing that can be done about it at this point.  Leury and Diekman were both awful acquisitions; I would not argue otherwise. But in total they're getting paid $10M in 2023, or a tad over 5% of the Sox current payroll.  In terms of bad $, the Sox situation isn't that awful.  

I am not defending the moves, but if you're going to point fingers, point your finger at JR for not allowing his FO to spend over what amounts to relatively minor bad contracts.  Those deals should not be stopping the Sox from finishing off the roster with a 4th OF and 2B, but here we are....

In any event, it sounds like Duvall wasn't going to sign here regardless of the $ as he was looking for starting role the Sox didn't have to offer.  

This looking for a starters role is sooo overplayed in arguments by fans. Just because he went to a team where he might start the season as a starter doesn't mean he also didnt go to the place that offered him the most money.

Money talks and bullshit walks. A 34 year with a chance to make extra millions when he may have people to support besides himself for many many more years is what talks and I'm hearing a lot of BS.

The facts are that the Sox don't care about going the extra mile and every extra dollar on the payroll matters when you can't suck it up for $10M guaranteed for such a vital role. They have Adam Engel types all over this team in too many important spots ! Just a lot of excuses being made for the Chicago Cheap Sox.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, he gone. said:

oh, i'm not naïve to that. It's just crazy to me that's where were at. I set my expectations as a sox fan pretty low and Marisnick as my 3/4th OF is even lower than that. The rest of the offseason will just be

1 - Hahn speak, "always looking to add, comfortable with the men we have in the locker room"

2 - Fluff pieces. Colas ones have already begun. The next ones will focus on Sheets and his "professionalism" and work put in on improving his defense. How he takes it seriously. They'll note his improvements throughout 2021

Reality will be when Robert strains his flexor something or hamstring that during BP or stealing a base. Next thing you know our outfield is Billy Hamilton in CF and Sheets in RF. Colas will chase pitches and low and away, MLB pitchers will feast on it and Colas will be back down in AAA. We are now in a situation where Sheets is in a slump too but we have to keep playing him because he's our only option.  He's batting .206BA, but occasionally he hits a long homer or two and we get excited. Until he gets hurt for a stretch .... we now have Hamilton in CF and Reyes in RF. We are 36-40 and it's June. We are thinking to ourselves .... if only we signed an actual outfielder for $4mm. Oh well, there's always next year as we drink a $14 Modelo on the way back to our cars we parked for $27. 

I think you’re my spirit animal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Sox added Mike Morin on a MiLB deal. He hasn’t pitched at all since 2020. I’ll never get why they bring in such random ass arms each year over someone whose actually has potential.

There was a thread when he signed but it seems like it was deleted after existing for 20 minutes. This was sometime last week I believe.

36 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Sox added Mike Morin on a MiLB deal. He hasn’t pitched at all since 2020. I’ll never get why they bring in such random ass arms each year over someone whose actually has potential.

They have so little depth at Charlotte that they genuinely need arms to fill role there. 

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They have so little depth at Charlotte that they genuinely need arms to fill role there. 

Really don't understand the lack of aggressiveness in bringing in guys on milb with some upside for the Charlotte rotation.  

Guys like Brailyn Marquez and Touki Toussaint signed for minor league deals and would likely easily be some of our best SP depth after the Chicago rotation.  Connor Seabold was DFA'd and traded for peanuts to Rox, etc.  Hope Hahn still plans to add there, not only for Sox depth, but also so Charlotte has some semblance of a pitching staff unlike last season, so they aren't having to do bullpen games a couple times a week.

• Like 4

He’s 30 now so doubt there’s any potential left, but Chad Kuhl is a name I wouldn’t hate being brought in on a minor league deal. Was once 1/2 decent and I always liked his stuff…although I see his FB has already dropped a couple MPH so maybe there’s a reason he’s been bad.

Joe Ross is another. Had his 2nd TJ in may of last year so who knows what you would get, but if he can pitch in AAA by June/July it might not be the worst gamble. 

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

He’s 30 now so doubt there’s any potential left, but Chad Kuhl is a name I wouldn’t hate being brought in on a minor league deal. Was once 1/2 decent and I always liked his stuff…although I see his FB has already dropped a couple MPH so maybe there’s a reason he’s been bad.

Joe Ross is another. Had his 2nd TJ in may of last year so who knows what you would get, but if he can pitch in AAA by June/July it might not be the worst gamble. 

2nd TJS is typically 1.5 to 2 years worth of recovery time.  If he had surgery in May of 2022, he probably won't pitch this season.

28 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I could very much imagine that guys like Kuhl will hold out into spring training and even into the season rather than signing minor league deals - he could wait for the first team with a major pitching injury and sign a big league deal there just based on his ability to throw 100 innings if needed. 

Hell, there's a decent chance that the White Sox could be in the market for such a guy, they wound up signing one last year. 

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

That’s true except he isn’t a SP and he hasn’t thrown in over 2 years. There’s so many other, better options.

...you do realize that minor league contracts are basically zero risk, right?

I've never understood the gripe with minor league signings / spring training NRI's. Super low risk. Even this org isn't stupid enough to sign non-prospects to block the development of actual prospects.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JoeC said:

...you do realize that minor league contracts are basically zero risk, right?

I've never understood the gripe with minor league signings / spring training NRI's. Super low risk. Even this org isn't stupid enough to sign non-prospects to block the development of actual prospects.

I’m going to defend him. Last year charlottes rotation, not Chicago white sox, was beyond trash. We had 6 guys on the 40 man with ERas above 9. In AAA.

Yeah, minor league. No risk. There should be 10 more signings for Charlotte and ideally showing much more recent confidence that their arm exists.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m going to defend him. Last year charlottes rotation, not Chicago white sox, was beyond trash. We had 6 guys on the 40 man with ERas above 9. In AAA.

Yeah, minor league. No risk. There should be 10 more signings for Charlotte and ideally showing much more recent confidence that their arm exists.

So Charlotte's current rotation is likely:

Davis Martin, Jonathan Stiever, Sean Burke, Jason Bilous?, Nate Fisher?, John Parke?....definitely could use at least 2 milb deal guys to slot in after Martin.

current pen:

Gregory Santos, Tanner Banks, Matt Foster, Nick Padilla, Benneet Sousa, Kenyan Middleton, Declan Cronin, Mike Morin

Pen seems slightly ahead of the rotation, I'd say.

I do wonder if the Charlotte's park makes it tough for the Sox to find intriguing arms on MILB deals since its such a bandbox.  Pitchers would rather work their way back into the league in a less hitter friendly environment, perhaps?