2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

30 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Pablo Lopez is awesome. A much better asset than arraez imo. Not even close. Twins cleaned up.

Awesome seems to be a stretch.  I just view the Twins in more of a 1B/INF need than a SP. (when discussing it as a straight up)

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Awesome seems to be a stretch.  I just view the Twins in more of a 1B/INF need than a SP. (when discussing it as a straight up)

Yeah, the Twins do have a pretty solid collection of mid rotation arms.  This presumably pushes Ober to the pen.  But they're going to need the depth, almost all of them get hurt alot. 

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Lopez is awesome. He's had some weirdness happen to him in his career, but he was one of the best arms in baseball first half last year before breaking down a bit in the 2nd half. He had never thrown more than 120 innings in a pro season until last year, but he's got a great build and think he can be a horse. Wouldn't at all shock me to see Lopez in the top 5 of AL Cy voting in one of the next two years.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, the Twins do have a pretty solid collection of mid rotation arms.  This presumably pushes Ober to the pen.  But they're going to need the depth, almost all of them get hurt alot. 

You think they put Ober in the pen?

I was thinking it would be Ryan, Gray, Lopez, Ober and Mahle. 

Paddack out. Ober better than the rest when he pitched and being that big out of the pen can be challenging.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You think they put Ober in the pen?

I was thinking it would be Ryan, Gray, Lopez, Ober and Mahle. 

Paddack out. Ober better than the rest when he pitched and being that big out of the pen can be challenging.

You’re forgetting Maeda. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

You’re forgetting Maeda. 

They'd be crazy to start Maeda over Ober imo. 

Maeda about to be 35, out all last year and already had an injury history. Maybe you can get some meaningful 6th starter outings out of him and some decent relief work. If he threw over 100 innings this year I'd be very surprised.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They'd be crazy to start Maeda over Ober imo. 

Maeda about to be 35, out all last year and already had an injury history. Maybe you can get some meaningful 6th starter outings out of him and some decent relief work. If he threw over 100 innings this year I'd be very surprised.

Suppose its possible put Maeda in the pen.  Twins beats talking about maybe a 6 man rotation since they're pretty much all injury prone.  

35 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox really should trade for Wendle now, but it seems Hahn is MIA again

He can't trade for anyone. He won't give up prospects, not because he won't, but because he'd get back salary and the Sox aren't taking on any more salary.

And he can't trade equal amounts of salary without taking a main piece away from the team and the takers for Grandal or Moncada have to be non existent.

You can trade a reliever ,I suppose, along with a prospect but who are you going to get back that's any good ? And the BP already took a huge blow with the loss of Hendriks.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 minutes ago, pcq said:

Yes Maeda is not reliable. 

Well, he's a SP and under contract and will be making starts for the Minnesota Twins in 2023.  Which was the topic of conversation.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wouldn't at all shock me to see Lopez in the top 5 of AL Cy voting in one of the next two years.

I'll take that bet...He wont. But getting the prospects also make minny win this trade. They are better, but that top of the lineup takes a beating without Arraez and when the annual Buxton multi month DL vaca starts 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Twins beats talking about maybe a 6 man rotation since they're pretty much all injury prone.  

This would be my guess as well. Lots of guys with injury problems. Just go 6 until you get to 5. Based on their history's they'll probably even have times when they only have 4 and Paddack as the 5th. 

This is kinda what I wanted with Sox. Wanted to sign Cueto even with Clev. To me it's smart to go 6 man. Let these guys ease into the season. Generally there's at least one injury, so would be 5 man a lot of the season anyways. 

1 hour ago, he gone. said:

This would be my guess as well. Lots of guys with injury problems. Just go 6 until you get to 5. Based on their history's they'll probably even have times when they only have 4 and Paddack as the 5th. 

This is kinda what I wanted with Sox. Wanted to sign Cueto even with Clev. To me it's smart to go 6 man. Let these guys ease into the season. Generally there's at least one injury, so would be 5 man a lot of the season anyways. 

The trouble with a 6 man rotation is that all 6 are starting pitchers and one is going to have to go to the pen eventually or sporadically at times. Hard to have starters go to the pen since the routine for preparation is different  and u cant carry an extra pitcher and leave the bench with 3 guys  . You need at least 4 position players as your bench.

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The trouble with a 6 man rotation is that all 6 are starting pitchers and one is going to have to go to the pen eventually or sporadically at times. Hard to have starters go to the pen since the routine for preparation is different  and u cant carry an extra pitcher and leave the bench with 3 guys  . You need at least 4 position players as your bench.

You can't leave the bench with 3 players anyway.  Rules say 13 pitchers, 13 position players. 6 man rotation means a 7 man pen, which could work.

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

You can't leave the bench with 3 players anyway.  Rules say 13 pitchers, 13 position players. 6 man rotation means a 7 man pen, which could work.

Not if the 6 starters all go 5  or 6 innings max especially without Hendricks. And u will have games where they go less innings if they get roughed up .Who is the long man then ? Can't be one of the 6 starters if they are preparing for their next start especially if they just got done pitching a day or 2 ago .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

On 1/20/2023 at 2:28 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

Arraez didn’t play 2B last year.

He played 41 games there last year. I forgot Polanco was at 2B last year. It was more of a question on Lewis because he was touted to be the future SS and obviously Correa will now be that.

Edited by WilliamTell