2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Twins gotta get some sort of CF depth for when Buxton spends his 2-3 months on the IL. Isn’t going to be Kepler as he’ll be traded soon enough. 

Gallo deal still makes no sense for the Twins. 

Why add ~1.5 WAR players as quality depth when you can just *hope* Buxton stays healthy like the Sox are with Robert?

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Twins getting Taylor from KC

The Twins know you don't need players on some bullshit list to make your team better.  Hahn can make trades like this all day long but for some reason he refuses.  There's no reason for him to be sitting here with the roster he has other than he's just too scared to try to upgrade his team. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Twins know you don't need players on some bullshit list to make your team better.  Hahn can make trades like this all day long but for some reason he refuses.  There's no reason for him to be sitting here with the roster he has other than he's just too scared to try to upgrade his team. 

Makes you wonder if they’re completely out of money.  I still think not getting another reliever, due to the Hendriks situation, is a big blunder as well

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Makes you wonder if they’re completely out of money.  I still think not getting another reliever, due to the Hendriks situation, is a big blunder as well

Honestly wonder if, given the marketing push, they thought benintendi could drive more sales and when it didn’t they needed to “save for the deadline”

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Honestly wonder if, given the marketing push, they thought benintendi could drive more sales and when it didn’t they needed to “save for the deadline”

If they really thought Benintendi would boost sales…🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If they really thought Benintendi would boost sales…🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

I mean the boost in renewal calls and e-mails I got from that was noticeable. It seems dumb, but it’s the white Sox.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

The ownership sucks. More than ever it starts at the top. Reinsdorf is ok with ok/mediocre. His standards are soft and he is fine making money and being okay. 

He has zero aspirations for greatness and will always treat this like a business Vs a hobby (that makes money in long run). 

He is a good man - but as a fan - a lousy a owner cause mediocrity with a once every 50 years 2005 campaign where everything goes right is all we will ever get. Sad but true. Too low of a bar - not the right standard - no willingness to dig deep when it is needed or when you just have to to make a run. It’s sad but true. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

He is just such a shitty gm - but ownership

Is s%*# too and sets a s%*# standard. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Hahn just isn't good at his job. JR sucks beyond belief, but Hahn continues to prove time and time again that he can't operate within the budget that JR sets. He wouldn't have a GM position with the 29 others teams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Hahn just isn't good at his job. JR sucks beyond belief, but Hahn continues to prove time and time again that he can't operate within the budget that JR sets. He wouldn't have a GM position with the 29 others teams.

100 percent - it also starts with the top and JR allows this to continue vs holding his people to a higher standard. Point blank - the bar should always be making playoffs  and with this org it clearly isn’t. 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

The ownership sucks. More than ever it starts at the top. Reinsdorf is ok with ok/mediocre. His standards are soft and he is fine making money and being okay. 

He has zero aspirations for greatness and will always treat this like a business Vs a hobby (that makes money in long run). 

He is a good man - but as a fan - a lousy a owner cause mediocrity with a once every 50 years 2005 campaign where everything goes right is all we will ever get. Sad but true. Too low of a bar - not the right standard - no willingness to dig deep when it is needed or when you just have to to make a run. It’s sad but true. 

Great post. 

47 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

100 percent - it also starts with the top and JR allows this to continue vs holding his people to a higher standard. Point blank - the bar should always be making playoffs  and with this org it clearly isn’t. 

I also think the restrictions JR puts on the org in the international market holds them back. 

What goes on in the DR and Venezuela is shitty, but if he wants to do that he has to make up for it with great scouting in the draft eligible areas and Asia and he doesn't. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

He is a good man - but as a fan - a lousy an owner cause mediocrity with a once every 50 years 2005 campaign where everything goes right is all we will ever get. Sad but true. Too low of a bar - not the right standard - no willingness to dig deep when it is needed or when you just have to to make a run. It’s sad but true. 

I still dispute that he treats this like a business. As a business it does a terrible job! The so called competitive white Sox have a stadium 1/3 empty in what is supposed to be a competitive year. They don’t invest in things that could have very large returns because of their owners biases - like the international signing market or in advance scouting or in Bryce Harper. 

They’re a business that hates their customers and believes they’re right and everyone else is wrong. They’d rather lose money than do things someone else’s way. 

Id have fewer complaints if they actually ran like a business. At least that behavior I can understand. It isn’t always successful, sometimes things I don’t like will happen, but at least I would understand chasing a maximum overall profit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I still dispute that he treats this like a business. As a business it does a terrible job! The so called competitive white Sox have a stadium 1/3 empty in what is supposed to be a competitive year. They don’t invest in things that could have very large returns because of their owners biases - like the international signing market or in advance scouting or in Bryce Harper. 

They’re a business that hates their customers and believes they’re right and everyone else is wrong. They’d rather lose money than do things someone else’s way. 

Id have fewer complaints if they actually ran like a business. At least that behavior I can understand. It isn’t always successful, sometimes things I don’t like will happen, but at least I would understand chasing a maximum overall profit.

It’s a weird sort of laissez faire model of profiting whilst investing as little as possible in areas that would/could yield a greater profit.  They don’t want to spend beyond X even if there is greater ROI to be had.  If winning happens great, as long it looks like they tried to compete while not hurting the bottom line they are content. 

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

What is it mean to be scared to upgrade the team? Why would he be scared?

I am not happy with the offseason and lack of depth additions at 2B and in the outfield but I don't really get this comment. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

What is it mean to be scared to upgrade the team? Why would he be scared?

I am not happy with the offseason and lack of depth additions at 2B and in the outfield but I don't really get this comment. 

I don't think they're scared either, but it's obvious with ~22 years of evidence Hahn/KW don't value depth to nearly the extent they should.