2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

23 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Wacha seems sooo Cueto-y for me.  Fantastic year in 2022 after ~ years of meh.  I don't like buying those guys

Yeah but that’s the best you’re going to get at this point. I’d definitely rather have Wacha and Martin than just Martin. Could role the dice on Pineda, Minor, Bundy or Archer. I would actually like Grienke for one year. I love that guy but I seriously don’t think the Sox would be a good idea. I can’t help but wonder if he’s pals with Grifol, though

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer
Phantom smiley

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He had a big year bur weren’t his peripherals pretty weak?

.260 BABIP is pretty low but not the lowest of his career. FIP of 4.14 isn't terrible, was the best he put up in years, but was also quite a bit higher than his ERA. K rate didn't look that weird compared to the rest of his career, down a little from 2021 but same as he put up in 2016 and 2019. His walk rate the last 3 years is quite a bit better than in previous years in his career. 

Maybe he was a little bit lucky but yeah I look through this and think that this is a pitcher who would put up an ERA around 4 doing what he did last year most of the time?

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

.260 BABIP is pretty low but not the lowest of his career. FIP of 4.14 isn't terrible, was the best he put up in years, but was also quite a bit higher than his ERA. K rate didn't look that weird compared to the rest of his career, down a little from 2021 but same as he put up in 2016 and 2019. His walk rate the last 3 years is quite a bit better than in previous years in his career. 

Maybe he was a little bit lucky but yeah I look through this and think that this is a pitcher who would put up an ERA around 4 doing what he did last year most of the time?

The other good news is Hahns best decisions are the ones where he has no choice. Cueto because Lynn was injured, and Andrus gets waived right when TA goes down. Any fantasy league person could have done that.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

With the rumor of Royals having other potential deals close and them being optimistic about bringing back Greinke, you gotta think one of their SP is on the move, right?

Spitball trade just for fun: Daniel Lynch + Nicky Lopez for Christian Mena + Wes Kath + Luis Mieses. 

Mena R5 eligible in December, Mieses already was.  

Is that enough for the Royals to part with 5 years of Lynch?  He wasn't exactly great in 2022, but I love the arm.  Might have to include one of JRod/Ramos/Sosa instead of Kath to make that work, and if that's the case, I'd probably rather aim for a better arm with a little less control. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’d say sign sign Grienke but I don’t think the Sox would be good for his mental health

Greinke hates us. He's never coming here. Not that we should want him either. 

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Spitball trade just for fun: Daniel Lynch + Nicky Lopez for Christian Mena + Wes Kath + Luis Mieses. 

Mena R5 eligible in December, Mieses already was.  

Is that enough for the Royals to part with 5 years of Lynch?  He wasn't exactly great in 2022, but I love the arm.  Might have to include one of JRod/Ramos/Sosa instead of Kath to make that work, and if that's the case, I'd probably rather aim for a better arm with a little less control. 

That seems like a lot for Lynch given he's had two really bad years (MLB) in a row.

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

That seems like a lot for Lynch given he's had two really bad years (MLB) in a row.

Is it?  Sox #8, #20 and #22 prospects per Fangraphs latest list, in what is a bottom tier and top heavy farm.

Royals aren't going to hand over 5 years of control on Lynch and 3 years of Lopez for trash.  Gotta give up something.  But yah, also realize Lynch and Lopez aren't exactly game changing players, but assuming Clevinger never pitches for the Sox, we really need a guy who can give us decent innings.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is it?  Sox #8, #20 and #22 prospects per Fangraphs latest list, in what is a bottom tier and top heavy farm.

Royals aren't going to hand over 5 years of control on Lynch and 3 years of Lopez for trash.  Gotta give up something.  But yah, also realize Lynch and Lopez aren't exactly game changing players, but assuming Clevinger never pitches for the Sox, we really need a guy who can give us decent innings.  

both players seem to be AAAA fodder for me (at this point).  

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

both players seem to be AAAA fodder for me (at this point).  

That's fair.  I too would like to do better, but trying to be realistic.  I'd be happy to trade one of JRod or Ramos as the headliner for player that can give a bigger impact with less control. 

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That's fair.  I too would like to do better, but trying to be realistic.  I'd be happy to trade one of JRod or Ramos as the headliner for player that can give a bigger impact with less control. 

100%.  We absolutly more guys in the ilk of Lynch/Lopez, but I wouldn't be trading Mena + + for them.  

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I would love it just for stuff like this 

Fozzie Bear Wacha - Imgflip

Wacha was a legitimately better pitcher than Clevinger in 2022. 

They really should sign Wacha. I’d also take a flyer on Ken Giles and would trade prospects for someone good and cost controlled in outfield or 2B. 

Better to have a 200M payroll with a few more parts so you have somewhat of a chance to contend vs be at 185 190 and fall way short.