2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Justus Sheffields DFA period is up today. Hopefully he made it to the Sox. 

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just read he even  has an option.  I have to imagine someone will make a deal for him.

Just saw that he cleared waivers. WTF are we doing? Apparently not interested in adding SP depth.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Strange. 

Unless I miscounted, I also only see 39 guys on the 40-man. Not that there aren't a couple of guys that could be DFA'd and no one would really care.

Also saw that a Marlins lefty was also unclaimed. He has no options but still, we may need a 5th starter on OD depending on the Clevinger situation.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Unless I miscounted, I also only see 39 guys on the 40-man. Not that there aren't a couple of guys that could be DFA'd and no one would really care.

Also saw that a Marlins lefty was also unclaimed. He has no options but still, we may need a 5th starter on OD depending on the Clevinger situation.

Yah, I mean re DFA him in a couple days and try slip thru waivers if you have to…just to try to get some SP depth. Just really don’t get the lack of aggression on that front. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I mean re DFA him in a couple days and try slip thru waivers if you have to…just to try to get some SP depth. Just really don’t get the lack of aggression on that front. 

Yeah, it's going to be a revolving door of suck, riding with the hot hand at this point. Which is between Davis, Stiever and whoever we signed to MiLB deals at this point.

The Sox did have a terrible offseason.  No doubt.  

But pointing to Abreu and the fact that they didn't hit for power last season as the main reasons displays a lack of understanding of the larger problem with the roster construction.  

Key players staying healthy, getting better defensively and getting more left handed were far more important than paying a declining Abreu $19M AAV, or whatever it was, to block fixing the defense and left handed issues.  Love Pito; wish he was a Sox for life.  But it was the right decision.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox did have a terrible offseason.  No doubt.  

But pointing to Abreu and the fact that they didn't hit for power last season as the main reasons displays a lack of understanding of the larger problem with the roster construction.  

Key players staying healthy, getting better defensively and getting more left handed were far more important than paying a declining Abreu $19M AAV, or whatever it was, to block fixing the defense and left handed issues.  Love Pito; wish he was a Sox for life.  But it was the right decision.  

Yep. And as several of us have said...Vaughn will outproduce Pito in power numbers over the next 3 years and is cost controlled. The big issue here is that Eloy sucks in the field and so the roster was squeezed. Blame Hahn for that. 

• Like 1