2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Quick, someone tell Jerry to look as his brokerage account.  

man maybe jerry just made a big long bet on META and suddenly he goes crazy and signs wacha to a not that impressive deal. But crazy for him.

They totally are, but oddly enough, all would be great signings for them and fill holes they have. Oddly enough all three would be considered great signings for the Sox at this point too. 

I know it won't happen, but the guys I'd like the Sox to consider:

Andrelton Simmons - We've signed a trash heap already, why not add Simmons? He hasn't been good for a few years, however you're talking a premier defender - or at least above average still. With our pitching staff I'd love to see us have a middle that is amongst the top in the league. Simmons would help in that endeavor. There's probably very little cost/risk to giving him a ST shot. 

Andrus - no need to expand, we've done that a lot this offseason on him

Robbie Grossman - I've discussed this one before, but he totally makes sense

Chris Archer - if you're looking for 100ip of 4.50ERA ball? He can do it. At least has SOME upside. I doubt it, as even the Rays couldnt fix him again in 2021, but it's an arm. And we need an arm. Also i wonder how he'd perform in the bullpen if not. 

I don't want to take this thread off the rails ... Bauer. someone will sign him. I don't know when, but someone will and 3 years from now he'll go from the most hated guy, to just a villain. If there was a guy to put us in actual contention for a WS ... and it only cost league min? Again, don't quote select this one ... the thread then falls apart. I get all the downside & the points made ad nauseum. Strictly from a cost perspective and a winning perspective and a need perspective he does make sense. 

Luke Voit - He clearly doesn't really fit. HOWEVER, before you stop reading and just say no. If Eloy plays some OF (either LF or RF) or if there's an injury in the OF that leads to Eloy playing more OF you then have Voit to play the role of Sheets. As much as I'd like to say this wont happen, i can totally see a situation where Colas sucks out of the gate ... and then somehow Benny ends up in RF and Eloy in LF .. or vice versa and then you have an open DH slot. Otherwise he's a just a Backup DH, 1B. If Eloy is getting 2 games a week in OF and Vaughn is getting 1 day a rest a week, that gives you at least 3 games a week during a healthy stretch, and maybe 4-5 with IL stints. The downside is no real position and Sheets can* play OF. Either way, he's probably almost free and brings power and OBP (if he plays to potential)

20 hours ago, pcq said:

Blake Rutherford moves on to the Nats. Failure to thrive. 

Ended up being a dog crap trade.... Hahn got nothing of value from the Yankees.  His history of trading for, signing, and trading away relievers is generally shitty.

• Like 3

"They took a shot with Clevinger and that looks like a mistake," Heyman said. "It's probably hard to argue, but the offseason doesn't mean that the season's not going to be good, right? They lost Abreu, too, right? So, yeah, I would argue a D-minus. You know, that's a bit harsh."

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/mlb-insider-jon-heyman-grades-white-sox-offseason-d-minus

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I don't think anyone liked it. If you're trading three quality major league players, you better be getting a top 10 prospect and even that is probably not enough.

Didn’t the Sox take less in return because NYY ate all of the money?  That’s how I seem to remember it. 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Based on their moves, the White Sox front office, whether they would ever say so or not, are blaming all the shortcomings on LaRussa. They really have done very little to upgrade a tea mired in mediocrity.

And IMO, Hahn should be relieved of his duties if the team doesn’t make the playoffs.  La Russa is long gone and Rick is the guy entering the season with a $180M payroll relying on multiple rookies and with little depth.  Tony’s impact may have been massive, but that doesn’t excuse Hahn from not improving the roster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And IMO, Hahn should be relieved of his duties if the team doesn’t make the playoffs.  La Russa is long gone and Rick is the guy entering the season with a $180M payroll relying on multiple rookies and with little depth.  Tony’s impact may have been massive, but that doesn’t excuse Hahn from not improving the roster.

The only way he isn’t the GM is if Kenny retires and he takes Kenny’s job.

• Thanks 1