2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

20 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Would you be fine losing Zavala for nothing to accommodate? 

We’re talking about a minor league deal. Things can change between now and Opening Day like someone (Grandal, Zavala) gets hurt. Or someone else opening up at bats at DH.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

22 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

No, but they wouldn't have to lose Zavala if they brought in a vet on a minor league deal to keep in Charlotte. That would be good insurance in the (somewhat likely) event that Grandal has to miss some time.

Not necessarily. Some MiLB deals have opt outs if a player isn't on the MLB roster by a certain date. Looking at the Pirates roster, this is like a deal that delays the need for them to clear 40-man roster space right away.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Not necessarily. Some MiLB deals have opt outs if a player isn't on the MLB roster by a certain date. Looking at the Pirates roster, this is like a deal that delays the need for them to clear 40-man roster space right away.

This is actually required for many veteran contracts by the last CBA. But it would also still be a good idea to have that type of depth given what we learned about Grandal’s injury.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Ken Giles is holding a showcase this morning. Sox should have interest you would think with Crochet missing some time and Hendriks out for at least most of the season.

Do we know how delayed Crochet is going to be?  Is he expected to be a participant in ST, and the Sox just slow play him or is still a couple months from game action? 

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Ken Giles is holding a showcase this morning. Sox should have interest you would think with Crochet missing some time and Hendriks out for at least most of the season.

They'll claim they have no more money to spend. 🤡

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Do we know how delayed Crochet is going to be?  Is he expected to be a participant in ST, and the Sox just slow play him or is still a couple months from game action? 

Crochet had TJ in early April last year.  I wouldn't expect him to be ready on opening day, but I don't think we've heard anything recently about where he is in his recovery.

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Crochet had TJ in early April last year.  I wouldn't expect him to be ready on opening day, but I don't think we've heard anything recently about where he is in his recovery.

To expect anything from him this year would not be wise. Maybe he comes back in June or July or August, but usually those guys are pretty diminished to start. Hope for him to be fully bounced back in 2024.

On 2/6/2023 at 7:16 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's like how I always laugh at the suggestion that Kenny Williams is sitting in a dark room twisting his mustache plotting ways to prevent Rick Hahn from making all these great moves.  Kenny checked out years ago.  It's been the Rick and Jeremy show for a long time which is why this organization is such a disaster.  I do agree that nothing will change until Reinsdorf sells which is why I want them to go 0-162 this year .  

It's like how I always laugh at the suggestion that a poor record in a single season will somehow force Jerry (to force himself?) to sell the team.

7 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm not sure Hendriks will necessarily miss most of the season. Obviously, the length of his recovery is somewhat uncertain but back in 1993, Mario Lemieux missed about 2 months of play undergoing treatment for the same disease. Obviously each person's timeline is different but if Hendriks started getting treatment already, maybe he won't be out too long. Best of luck to him.

We will see. Hopefully he can get cancer free ASAP and anything else after that (baseball) is gravy.

37 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'm not sure Hendriks will necessarily miss most of the season. Obviously, the length of his recovery is somewhat uncertain but back in 1993, Mario Lemieux missed about 2 months of play undergoing treatment for the same disease. Obviously each person's timeline is different but if Hendriks started getting treatment already, maybe he won't be out too long. Best of luck to him.

We will see. Hopefully he can get cancer free ASAP and anything else after that (baseball) is gravy.

For contract insurance purposes, it might be better for him to sit out the whole year.

Liam's probably way too optimistic and competitive to allow that unless he really can't go...but having a string of losing debacle like 2-3 seasons ago in April will certainly put another spotlight on this issue, and Clevinger as well if Martin falters or is unable to go.

48 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Sox relief pitcher Scott "Rad-Man" Radinsky had the same illness and missed the entire 1994 season. The Sox brought in Paul Assenmacher and Dennis Cook to help cover up the shortcoming but of course that was when they were actually trying to win a World Series instead of paying "Lip service" (no pun intended) to championships and parades. 

42 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Sox relief pitcher Scott "Rad-Man" Radinsky had the same illness and missed the entire 1994 season. The Sox brought in Paul Assenmacher and Dennis Cook to help cover up the shortcoming but of course that was when they were actually trying to win a World Series instead of paying "Lip service" (no pun intended) to championships and parades. 

The players were trying. Not so sure the owner was in ‘94.

13 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Maybe the Guardians wouldn't have traded him here, but Benson as a 4th OF would have been pretty intriguing.

The gap in org depth between Cleveland and the Sox right now is quite something.

Cleveland is deeper than everyone but the Dodgers probably. They are interesting in that they hold on to EVERYBODY until all hope vanishes and their value is close to nil and then dump them. Benson and Nolan Jones are good examples of guys they could have gotten something significant for but did not trade while their value was there. They never accidentally trade Tatis Jr. But they also never get one of those Stars for a bunch of warm bodies trades either. Unusual strategy.