2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

39 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'm not totally sure of the rules, but I believe that caulfield is supposed to announce such things.

Candidates for 4th and 5th starter, numbers 9 and 10 now in the fold, lol.

Seth Lugo OR Nick Martinez likely back to the pen, with Wacha occupying that backend spot now.

This Hamels move is also likely correlated with/to Drew Pomeranz's recovery (as Tim Hill is their only reliable LHR at current time.)

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Candidates for 4th and 5th starter, numbers 9 and 10 now in the fold, lol.

Seth Lugo OR Nick Martinez likely back to the pen, with Wacha occupying that backend spot now.

This Hamels move is also likely correlated with/to Drew Pomeranz's recovery (as Tim Hill is their only reliable LHR at current time.)

I appreciate the Friarstalk updates.  I'm much obliged.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You would think with the Clevinger story that we would be an attractive spot for guys on minor league deals. You would think.

Or the epicenter of an unsettled environment with all the issues hanging over Clevinger, TA, Giolito (trade? union rep), Moncada and Grandal's Sox futures, etc.

37 minutes ago, scotty22hotty said:

still cant believe the Sox passed on both Wacha and Chafin for pretty much .75WAR valued contracts. After losing the #5 and closer spots it just seems asinine.
Jerry pretty much accepting this is a 3rd place team.

Why spend money on players when hoping everything works out is free?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You would think with the Clevinger story that we would be an attractive spot for guys on minor league deals. You would think.

You would think this org should care about improving and or care about depth.  But those things take effort and money, two things this this org seems averse to. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I've always wondered about the urge to give starts to washed veterans that you have zero control over if they do perform well instead of going with that AAAA 25 year old Davis Martin type.  Davis performed well and now the Sox have him for a prorated 700k.  

Is it because so many raw prospects get promoted, so that is all you are left with in the organization?  Kids with stuff trying to figure it out?  So you don't have more than a pitcher or two in the organization at any given time (that actually have the command to pitch in the bigs) to promote as your #6/7/8th options?  

If this is the case I'd be tempted to invest in an independent team and stockpile dudes in their early 20s with multiple pitches that they can locate.  Wonder if it is possible to pay them a tad more than most indy ball players, hold their contract so you get paid off if another team comes calling, and otherwise use that to feed Charlotte an arm or three a year that can ultimately fill that #7 starter spot.  

19 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

What do you do for the 2024 season they overlap if Moncada has another year like last year?

Stick Moncada at 2B assuming a better option hasn't presented itself in 2023.  I've been as staunchly against moving Moncada to 2B as anyone, but if its Manny playing 3B, you move Yoan all day, especially with just one year left on his deal.  

Mentioned it yesterday, but I think something clicks for Moncada this year.  Its obvious the dude like money. If he doesn't bounce back next two seasons, he's looking a cheap 1 year deal as a utility type in 2025.  I don't think he wants that.  I am hopeful we see a different player in 23. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

What do you do for the 2024 season they overlap if Moncada has another year like last year?

Oh i was joking. sorry. We couldn't even pay Conforto on a two year contract with a clear need and a fully ready to go roster this year. We're more of a Jonathan Villar team than a Manny Machado team. 

There's not a shot in hell the Sox sign machado.