2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

I don't think it's a terrible move, but I also would've waited until the offseason to see what I have with Tatis. I don't forsee how they could afford all three of Soto, Tatis and Machado long term while fielding a team. 

Theoretically, you prefer to keep the younger ones, but oh well.

Sucks that the Sox would never be in on this at all.

12 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I don’t understand how Machado wants to stay there without Jon Jay or Alonso? 

Shocking.  Tatis, Jr., was supposedly one of the main reasons, too.  Of course, their famous dugout falling out must have been papered over by  a truckload of $100 bills.

For 2024, Xander Bogaerts was going to move over to third with Tatis returning to the INF at SS or 2B as the contingency plan...or with Kim potentially sliding back over from 2B returning to SS where he played almost exclusively last year.

Also, wasn't a huge fan of Soto last year...he walked a lot but below average defensively.

Finally,let the Ohtani Sweepstakes officially begin.

Edited by caulfield12

"Late last night, Seidler and Preller had a discussion to make an irresistible offer to Manny Machado, according to reports. There were two offers on the table. The first was an 11-year contract worth $350 million, which would give Machado an annual salary of $32 million, starting this year and replacing his previous contract. The second offer was an eight-year contract worth $24 million per year, with the aim of freeing up funds to potentially sign Soto. Kevin Acee reported that Machado's agent was not pleased with the first offer, which was the eight-year, $24 million per year deal, and it appears that neither offer initially included a signing bonus.

It has since been reported that Machado will receive a signing bonus of $44 million, paid out over the course of his 11-year contract.

As for Soto, the terms of his contract will depend on his position. By putting him in left field, the maximum he might earn is $30 million per year. Currently, the highest-paid left fielder is Schwarber, who earns $20.9 million per year. If Soto plays right field and has a productive year, he may ask for a salary on par with Aaron Judge."

gas lampball.com/comments

Interesting how many Padres' fans say they would never pay Soto $30 million to play LF (Schwarber current highest able that position with $21 million) with his "heavy feet" and strictly consider him a DH only for the second half of his career.

They want to go all-in on Ohtani and poach him away from the Dodgers instead.

This is going to be Tanner Banks’ tenth season in the White Sox org. I hope he can repeat his success because Diekman sucks balls. Another stupid Hahn trade. Should have been able to do better for a solid mlb backstop. Personally I wouldn’t have given anything for Diekman, but I’ve got no use for guys who routinely push a 6 bb/9 rate. He’s like the Leury of the bullpen imo. Taking up a space that could be easily improved at a cheaper price. Hand hasn’t been great lately but still would be a considerable improvement over Diekman at half the cost.

3 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

This is going to be Tanner Banks’ tenth season in the White Sox org. I hope he can repeat his success because Diekman sucks balls. Another stupid Hahn trade. Should have been able to do better for a solid mlb backstop. Personally I wouldn’t have given anything for Diekman, but I’ve got no use for guys who routinely push a 6 bb/9 rate. He’s like the Leury of the bullpen imo. Taking up a space that could be easily improved at a cheaper price. Hand hasn’t been great lately but still would be a considerable improvement over Diekman at half the cost.

Have to bank on Crochet comeback this year.  Not exactly the smartest idea.

6 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

What’s the status on Bummer? Is there a realistic scenario where Diekman is the #1 lefty reliever on OD?

One of Hahn’s greatest mistakes last year was not getting a LH reliever in April when Bummer and Crochet were hurt.  Brutal. Don’t let history repeat itself.