Frank Thomas called out as ‘douchebag’ by ex-teammate in new book

South Side Hit Men

Why did Lance Johnson think Thomas would get pitched around more in the three hole with Ventura, Bell and Bo hitting behind him than hitting five with the likes of Pasqua, Sax and Karkovice behind him? And why did Johnson think having a guy OPS 1.033 in the three hole would cost the Sox a chance at a World Series? And was Lamont really stupid enough the even consider moving Frank to a spot where he would see no good pitches to give Bell and Ventura better pitches?

And did Pearlman consider how ridiculous Johnson's quote was when he chose to publish it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Fabulous player but he did have his issues. This is from my interview with Jack McDowell:

ML: I’m not trying to place blame here, but the Sox as good as they were, always seemed to be one piece short, whether it was another starter or another big bat to go with Thomas and Ventura. Do you think the organization did everything they could to get to a World Series?

JMD: "That’s tough to say. I know that Mark McGwire wanted to come here. He called me three times in about a 10 day period after the 1991 season. He asked me about the other guys in the clubhouse, about the coaching staff and about the city of Chicago. I honestly felt we were going to get him. I called Robin (Ventura) to let him know what was going on and I remember he was excited. He told me “alright...we’re going to kick ass.” The Sox then asked Frank (Thomas) if he’d go to DH full time so that Mark could play first and he said no.”

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Fabulous player but he did have his issues. This is from my interview with Jack McDowell:

ML: I’m not trying to place blame here, but the Sox as good as they were, always seemed to be one piece short, whether it was another starter or another big bat to go with Thomas and Ventura. Do you think the organization did everything they could to get to a World Series?

JMD: "That’s tough to say. I know that Mark McGwire wanted to come here. He called me three times in about a 10 day period after the 1991 season. He asked me about the other guys in the clubhouse, about the coaching staff and about the city of Chicago. I honestly felt we were going to get him. I called Robin (Ventura) to let him know what was going on and I remember he was excited. He told me “alright...we’re going to kick ass.” The Sox then asked Frank (Thomas) if he’d go to DH full time so that Mark could play first and he said no.”

Why would Mark not be expected to DH there

Jeter made Arod move to 3rd.

Listen roids aside it certainly is a sliding doors moment that probably leads to a WS for the sox or leads to the same situation where the strike ruins it

BUT

These examples are silly to me or frank seems right. 

Here's a fun anecdote from me interviewing lance johnson when I was 8:

"Me: Why don't you learn how to fucking hit so you can provide better protection to the rest of the lineup instead of blaming the best player on the team for not giving up at bats?

Johnson: Wow"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, almagest said:

Great now I get to be upset the Sox blew signing Mark McGuire in the mid 90s.

Isn’t Big Frank supposedly the reason the Sox didn’t sign Barry Bonds as well?

I thought it was pretty well known The Hurt was a big cry baby during the first half of his career. I remember hearing that about him in real time when I was a kid. I also have visuals of him angrily sulking in the dugout.

Regardless, we will probably never see a better hitter in a White Sox uniform. All is forgiven.  

Edited by Sambuca