Frank Thomas called out as ‘douchebag’ by ex-teammate in new book

South Side Hit Men

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ha well I guess I didnt write KW then. Maybe someone else. I'm old with hazy memories ! Maybe I just thought he should've been called up earlier and thought about writing someone about it in the Sox FO. Luckily I said "may have" because I wasn't sure about the timeline either.

I think it would have been Larry Himes, right? I believe the Sox brought up Thomas before they hired Ron Schueler. 

9 minutes ago, Pants Rowland said:

I think it would have been Larry Himes, right? I believe the Sox brought up Thomas before they hired Ron Schueler. 

Correct, Frank was called up when the Sox were in Milwaukee August 1990, although Jeff Torborg told me he wanted him to break camp and start the season with the club but Larry Himes said no.

• Like 1

Frank always seemed very committed to putting up excellent numbers and performing at a high level. Perhaps that gave him an arrogance that rubbed some teammates the wrong way. I, for one, wish any of our current players had that in them. Maybe TA at times. However in the multiple opportunities I've had to meet Frank, seen him interact with fans, and seen how he has tipped and rewarded support staff around him, he's been nothing less than a class act. I'll let this one pass the eye test and leave the gossip alone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ha well I guess I didnt write KW then. Maybe someone else. I'm old with hazy memories ! Maybe I just thought he should've been called up earlier and thought about writing someone about it in the Sox FO. Luckily I said "may have" because I wasn't sure about the timeline either.

And Hahn wasn't out of Harvard Law School until 1996 at the earliest. 

But it would be fun to blame his regardless. Maybe Hahn originated the diminished skills clause as an intern to win JR's everlasting respect as a risk mitigator. 

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t know how Frank was in the lockeroom - but I do know he is just a kind dude in real life. Have heard that from many people who have met him, whether randomly or who over time built up relationships with him. Just a good dude. 

My wife and I went to Boston for a White Sox series back when the Big Hurt was still playing.We ran into him out on the street by the hotel when he was still playing. He was really pleasant. Even took a picture with us.

19 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t know how Frank was in the lockeroom - but I do know he is just a kind dude in real life. Have heard that from many people who have met him, whether randomly or who over time built up relationships with him. Just a good dude. 

I’ve heard similar.  I think the issue with Frank is he cared more about his own stats / legacy than actually winning games.  That’s not to say he didn’t want to win, but he wasn’t going to give up playing 1B or shift his spot in the lineup for the better of the team.

20 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

1,000,000,000 times this.

For at least a decade my father and I went to every away game the Sox played in LA.

We went to the park 4 hours before each game and waited 2 hours after each game.

On the way into the park Frank ALWAYS asked people there to line up and he made it a point to sign for every single person in line, often standing there for a hour.

He was a very very kind man.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

21 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

That was 30 yrs ago…we all change over time and hopefully mature for the better.   His public persona is very positive and optimistic toward the White Sox.  Sox need all the positive vibes they can get and Frank is one of the only National figures who gives a hoot about them. 

Throw me into the pro-Frank crowd.  Had many opportunities over the years to interact with my family and never failed to be friendly and willing to give a few minutes to my kids.

Having seen how some people approach athletes with demands it is no surprise that some have negative responses.  Perhaps that happened with Frank.  I never saw it.

• Love 1

On 10/29/2022 at 4:42 PM, Chisoxfn said:

I have also heard the same about Frank. Now my friends who have met Bo on the other hand...