Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

2 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

He was probably the guy that accepted what the Sox were willing to pay. They probably told all the candidates what the pay would be and they all said NO. 

Yep. 

Long wasn't gonna work for a loser organization AND be low balled at the same time, especially when his stock was high. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It's not TLR, it's not Ozzie, it's not a former player who is not actively coaching (AJ, Thome, Getz, Paulie, etc). Solid.

Pretty much where I’m at. Not ecstatic or even going to pretend to know a lot about Grifol, but at this point I don’t think it’s a bad hire…which is sadly a win with the state of this franchise 

Hahn said the right candidate to be the Sox’ manager will have “recent experience in the dugout with an organization that has contended for championships...

Since 2016, the Royals haven't had one winning season. 

Sounds perfect. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

Why is it the Sox only poach non-player personnel from the Royals?  Buddy Bell and Chris Getz on the player development side and now Grifol on the coaching side of things.  I get it, we don’t sit in on these interviews, but I’d feel much better hiring from a best in class organization and not the Kansas City Royals.

That being said, at least Jerry didn’t circumvent the process and Hahn can finally be held accountable without the TLR crutch to fall on.

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Really love his background over the other candidates. He was my #1 whole time so I'm happy but I wasn't really all that impressed with the field.

I think he was hurt by hitching to the wrong wagon, but clearly has a good rep around the game. 

He is very ricky renteria-y, but I think looking back RR could have been saved had the sox put a much better group around him to help. They let him play the role of super star manager with two mumbling buddies on the bench. If in same situation, grifol will also fail.

Just now, flavum said:

Yeah, there’s no way to judge this move right now. The only surface thing is the Royals didn’t want him to take over- which doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Good luck, Pedro. 

I think I get it in the same way that I didn't want Miguel Cairo even though I think his in game managing was strong and seemed good.

15 minutes ago, MysterySource5000 said:

Where does Grifol fall as far as analytics goes?

Listened to a couple interviews with him and he says he full on embraces the analytic movement. Hard to say for sure though. One thing is he does come off like a bit of a nerd, an avid reader etc, so my guess is his personality does push himself into it.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic