Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Listened to a couple interviews with him and he says he full on embraces the analytic movement. Hard to say for sure though. One thing is he does come off like a bit of a nerd, an avid reader etc, so my guess is his personality does push himself into it.

thats good news to me then, hopefully he can pick his own guys

6 minutes ago, flavum said:

Yeah, there’s no way to judge this move right now. The only surface thing is the Royals didn’t want him to take over- which doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Good luck, Pedro. 

The other possible take is the Royals wanted him, but hired Quatraro after Grifol told them he'd go to the Sox.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is it the Sox only poach non-player personnel from the Royals?  Buddy Bell and Chris Getz on the player development side and now Grifol on the coaching side of things.  I get it, we don’t sit in on these interviews, but I’d feel much better hiring from a best in class organization and not the Kansas City Royals.

That being said, at least Jerry didn’t circumvent the process and Hahn can finally be held accountable without the TLR crutch to fall on.

I agree with everything except the last part. I'm not sure Grifol was Hahns preferred choice. I bet it was Quatraro. I suspect "budget" issues also factored in and Grifol was perhaps the most acceptable choice who wouldn't balk at being lowballed. That doesn't make him the guy RH wanted, though.

• Like 2

As long as he is on board with analytics, I'm on board, cause I don't think we've had a manager that has ever embraced analytics. 

Hopefully he can navigate the toxic clubhouse politics we seem to have on the team. Maybe him being Latino can help win over all the Cubans on the team. 

I would have liked Espada, who has been on winning teams, but thank god it wasn't Ozzie, Jim Thome, or Chris Getz. 

• Like 1

It truly feels as if they simply posted an entry level salary and whoever took it got the job. 

Can't wait for the "Grifol is learning on the job, we need to give him time to mold this team his way" 

Meanwhile the window is down to 2 years. 

Edited by HOFHurt35
  • Like 1

Well, it's not TLR.  And it's not Ozzie.  And it's not some other incestuous, keep-it-in-the-organization hire that would have the hallmarks of a JR cramdown.  In other words, this doesn't look like a ridiculous unforced error and seems to have come about as a result of a normal, wide-ranging interview process.  I'm fine with this and am prepared to give the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best.

• Like 3

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

It truly feels as if they simply posted an entry level salary and whoever took it got the job. 

Can't wait for the "Grifol is learning on the job, we need to give him time to mold this team his way" 

Is there a window anymore? Or are they waiving the White Flag with this hire and starting another rebuild. Another potential reason for not having Sox Fest?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

There's no window, bro.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Seeing people saying it's a bad sign that the royals passed on him, but, uh, why would a new GM want to hire in house when you're taking over a dumpster fire

Ironically enough the Royals org blows so them passing on him could be a good sign for me lol. They hired a guy I wanted nothing to do with.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic