Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

I don't think he is so bad, at least he is at an age where he likely isn't senile and while he hasn't managed at the big league level he has minor league management and  a lot of other pro baseball experience. 

We don't know if he is better than renteria but at least there is no worry he is forgetting to fill out the lineup card:) 

2 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Charlie Montoyo bench coach—per Dan Bernstein 

Not a bad guy to have around for a first time manager. He lost the clubhouse in Toronto, but he won't have to worry about that as bench coach. 

13 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I agree with everything except the last part. I'm not sure Grifol was Hahns preferred choice. I bet it was Quatraro. I suspect "budget" issues also factored in and Grifol was perhaps the most acceptable choice who wouldn't balk at being lowballed. That doesn't make him the guy RH wanted, though.

Could be "budget" issues as you said.  Maybe the other highly touted candidates expected to be paid more than JR was willing.

Another issue may have been that the other candidates wanted to pick their own coaches (as they should) but Grifol agreed to keep any coaches the Sox wanted to retain.  JR can't bet letting his guys go.

7 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Some good, positive stuff in here. But the reference to him failing as a hitting coach was an interesting tidbit. Fire Frank and being in someone with a proven track record and it won't be a big deal, but something to follow.

2 minutes ago, White Sox Park said:

At this point i'm just glad that LaRussa is gone, and that it's not Guillén . wonder how different things might have been, if Grifol had started the 2022 season.

I don't know if he'll be a good manager or not, but I'm pretty sure if he started the 2022 season as their manager, the Sox would have probably won the Division then lost in the first round of the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

This is a fair point. 

While in the abstract, getting a C+ on a midterm is nothing to write home about, it can be if you're a D student.

I think grading a managerial hire immediately, with the exception of very obvious F's ie TLR or Ozzie, is basically impossible

Edited by mqr

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic