Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

Man today is a good day.

it’s been a long time since I’ve felt good about my team. A dark cloud formed above this team the minute they named TLR manager. And they didn’t replace him with someone who has ties to the organization. Now he’s gone and today is a new day and it feels so damn good to have my optimism back. Let’s go White Sox. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Iwritecode said:

I wasn't making much more than that just a few years ago when I was working in Chicago.

I got offered that in Chicago about 10 years ago as someone fresh out of college. I'd imagine the pay is way better now. I was more or less referring working on the west coast (Bay Area/Seattle) where starting salaries out there are easily 100k+. Chicago is cheaper, but 65k is still low even when you factor in cost of living. 

Interview from last year. At 5:40, he's asked about the Royals' identity and success with bunting.

His reply - "at the end of the day, your team has to hit homers. You have to put the ball in the seats to win games. You need that timely 3-run HR."

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-7-pedro-grifol-kansas-city-royals-bench-coach/id1561838258?i=1000522536832

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Moncada and Grandal were the biggest problems last year. They put together maybe 1 WAR last year when the projections expected 7-8 out of them. That's a 7 win difference alone right there. 

By baseball-reference they were actually -0.5 WAR together. However, it's not all that surprising for a catcher at age 33 to drop off fairly substantially though - there's a reason why Grandal didn't immediately get a long term contract when he left the Dodgers. There is a solid chance that he is just physically done, that his legs can't drive the power he once had after years of catching. 

Who knows what happened to Moncada though. Attitude, injury, long COVID, frankly I don't know.

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Interview from last year. At 5:40, he's asked about the Royals' identity and success with bunting.

His reply - "at the end of the day, your team has to hit homers. You have to put the ball in the seats to win games. You need that timely 3-run HR."

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-7-pedro-grifol-kansas-city-royals-bench-coach/id1561838258?i=1000522536832

Ok, now I'm in. Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

He had me at homers

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Go back and watch Giolito on the Chris Rose podcast last week.  It’s embarrassing to hear how complacent the team was.

That's a leadership problem, but these guys are adults.  Even adults need a swift kick in the ass at times.  They didn't get that from TLR.  They got coddled and were told not to hustle.

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Don't know how you can read about him and listen to him and NOT think he's the best candidate on the surface.

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic