Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think the sadder thing about the foodies is how many people on Twitter ask them real questions and then defend them and/or get defensive when others point out they're frauds. The internet is a sad place 

Epidemic across much more than just sports

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think the sadder thing about the foodies is how many people on Twitter ask them real questions and then defend them and/or get defensive when others point out they're frauds. The internet is a sad place 

I'm not convinced they are real. I think they are the foodies burners.

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Listened to a couple interviews with him and he says he full on embraces the analytic movement. Hard to say for sure though. One thing is he does come off like a bit of a nerd, an avid reader etc, so my guess is his personality does push himself into it.

So he’s a Soxtalk member 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic
1 hour ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Don't know much about him.  Maybe he will be a great manager.  I just find it ironic that Hahn said he wants to hire someone with recent experience from a winning organization, then they hire someone from a losing organization that just passed him over for their own managerial opening.  

You just have to laugh at this organization.

I hear Montoyo is bench coach. It is a little curious that we hire a guy who was ixnayed by his own team. There must be a good story that will leak out in a few weeks or so.

Welcome to the era of invisible manager. This is what most teams do. Sox finally have a normal guy who will make the decisions and mutter boring comments.

First step toward conforming with the rest of the league. Not saying it's a bad thing. It's fine. Now get some players and maybe win divisions.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, flavum said:

I do like that Grifol has had a front row seat to the bad base running and lack of hustle over the past couple years. I hope he’s ready to bust balls in spring training.

I know this is funny...but...It highlights an excellent point on maybe one reason he was hired.

He is extremely familiar with the White Sox, is armed with all the oppo research on our team, their tendencies and faults and how to exploit them (which the Royals did successfully), and most likely came into the interview with that information and then how to fix it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I think they could have been a bit better than that.  But, yes, there were many problems.  Grifol needs to come in and say, "Look assholes, what happened last year will never happen again.  Get your s%*# together."

I take it that you manage people somewhere?  Look, your approach worked for Cairo, for about a week.  Long term, ass kicking gets stale real fast.  It's 2022, not 1922.

40 minutes ago, flavum said:

I do like that Grifol has had a front row seat to the bad base running and lack of hustle over the past couple years. I hope he’s ready to bust balls in spring training.

Spring Training will be of really big importance in 2023.  Didn't you feel TLR just let them do it on their own in 2022?  Gotta instill a new culture in these mopes.

2 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I take it that you manage people somewhere?  Look, your approach worked for Cairo, for about a week.  Long term, ass kicking gets stale real fast.  It's 2022, not 1922.

If telling a group of underperformers to shape up hurts their feelings, then they can go elsewhere and be shlubs.  Grifol shouldn't need to rule with an iron fist.  Hopefully a change in leadership will result in better performance.

Long term ass kicking does get stale fast.  It's not a recipe for success.  But coddling and babying of adults doesn't work either.  There needs to be expectations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Except for the fact the sox have a tiny analytics department and invest poorly there and rick hahn and company were recently offering 65k for a Data engineer. 

Listening to analytics is good, assuming you have good analytics to listen too.

Sounds like this guy has a history of digging up the analytics himself.  Maybe that's why the FO was "blown away" by him because they're getting a manager, but also an extra analytics guy without having to pay for it.  

Well Grifol has already proven himself loyal to JR by keeping his mouth shut. Was there any publication, tweet, blurb or even whisper that hinted he interviewed for the position? We knew everything about Guillen, which probably says more about him and his camp leaking information than anything else. 

Personally, I’m glad to have some open to analytics and outside the organization. Maybe it won’t work out, but of all the issues surrounding the Sox they’ve addressed one so far. 

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Well Grifol has already proven himself loyal to JR by keeping his mouth shut. Was there any publication, tweet, blurb or even whisper that hinted he interviewed for the position? We knew everything about Guillen, which probably says more about him and his camp leaking information than anything else. 

Personally, I’m glad to have some open to analytics and outside the organization. Maybe it won’t work out, but of all the issues surrounding the Sox they’ve addressed one so far. 

Yes, his name has been mentioned for a couple weeks as a known candidate. 

Who is the new batting coach? That matters the absolute most to me. 

Grifol - Manager
Montoyo - Bench Coach
Katz - Pitching Coach
??? - Batting Coach

This is looking okay. Not great, but I am coming to terms with the process of more analytic approach and with the right Launch Angle hire in BC...we may just be able to get more out of the disappointment of the last two years. 

• Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey