Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

Heard back from a source just now asking for more info on Pedro:

I was hung up on the KC thing until I thought about the Rays hiring Kevin Cash and barely considering Dave Martinez. that's worked out well for everyone. 

I like that Grifol has worn a lot of hats. Charlie Montoyo as bench coach will be good. He got mircomanaged in Toronto and will feel liberated. 

I'm OK with bringing back Katz, albeit for only one year to see if he can get Giolito back to normal. 

No matter how well Grifol interviewed, it couldn't hurt he coached Getz and played with Mike Shirley. 

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I was hung up on the KC thing until I thought about the Rays hiring Kevin Cash and barely considering Dave Martinez. that's worked out well for everyone. 

I like that Grifol has worn a lot of hats. Charlie Montoyo as bench coach will be good. He got mircomanaged in Toronto and will feel liberated. 

I'm OK with bringing back Katz, albeit for only one year to see if he can get Giolito back to normal. 

No matter how well Grifol interviewed, it couldn't hurt he coached Getz and played with Mike Shirley. 

You had me at Mike Shirley. I’m in. 

10 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Who is the new batting coach? That matters the absolute most to me. 

Grifol - Manager
Montoyo - Bench Coach
Katz - Pitching Coach
??? - Batting Coach

This is looking okay. Not great, but I am coming to terms with the process of more analytic approach and with the right Launch Angle hire in BC...we may just be able to get more out of the disappointment of the last two years. 

Pujols just officially retired.  Maybe he'd be willing. (sarcasm)

34 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Good stuff to hear. Interesting that the Sox tossed experience out the window, but they seemed down to Ozzie as the alternative. I think experience is overrated in baseball anyway, the pace is so slow a manager has time to think things through, and the concepts are pretty basic at the end of the day. The only problem with lack of experience is the inability to judge their quality with confidence..

14 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Took me a while to understand that Kc point in Cash but yeah not a bad pull.

24 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Who is the new batting coach? That matters the absolute most to me. 

Grifol - Manager
Montoyo - Bench Coach
Katz - Pitching Coach
??? - Batting Coach

This is looking okay. Not great, but I am coming to terms with the process of more analytic approach and with the right Launch Angle hire in BC...we may just be able to get more out of the disappointment of the last two years. 

I like Cairo. Wouldn’t hate to see him get the 1B/3B job. Guess it does leave a tie to TLR tho, so also okay if he moves on. 

7 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Recent World Series experience

Ties to winning organization

Not a first time manager

Anymore Hahn lies? 

I hate to defend Hahn here, but this continues to be overblown.  He listed characteristics of what he's looking for in a manager.  He then conducted an extensive interview process and hired who he thinks is best for the job.

Yes, it's possible the best guy for the job doesn't have those characteristics.  I mean, how likely is somebody sitting around that checks all those boxes?

I have absolutely no problem with Hahn saying those things and then hiring Grifol.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I like Cairo. Wouldn’t hate to see him get the 1B/3B job. Guess it does leave a tie to TLR tho, so also okay if he moves on. 

He will probably take another bench coach position somewhere or will not coach for a year and wait it out until a managerial position opens up. 

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Good stuff to hear. Interesting that the Sox tossed experience out the window, but they seemed down to Ozzie as the alternative. I think experience is overrated in baseball anyway, the pace is so slow a manager has time to think things through, and the concepts are pretty basic at the end of the day. The only problem with lack of experience is the inability to judge their quality with confidence..

Regardless of who they hired, outside of a couple guys who were obvious mistakes (Ozzie, TLR), they were going to have a challenge in front of themselves. They have a team that dramatically underperformed expectations last year, weren't as good as the best teams in the league on paper coming into the year, have very little available funds to improve via free agency,  are already losing key contributors to free agency, have an improving division around them and a team in Cleveland that stomped them ruthlessly this year, and yet they are expected to make the playoffs and advance in that tournament. That would be the case with Espada, that would be the case with Bochy, that would have been the case with whoever. 

They're always going to be judged by the results on the field, with very little leeway even at the beginning, and they have to understand they have a major challenge here. Any coach they bring in is probably here with the understanding that their quality is going to be judged by what happens in 2023, and if they can't fix things it will not be long before the last 13 fans in the ballpark are chanting for their heads. 

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I hate to defend Hahn here, but this continues to be overblown.  He listed characteristics of what he's looking for in a manager.  He then conducted an extensive interview process and hired who he thinks is best for the job.

Yes, it's possible the best guy for the job doesn't have those characteristics.  I mean, how likely is somebody sitting around that checks all those boxes?

I have absolutely no problem with Hahn saying those things and then hiring Grifol.

Also Grifol checks all those boxes if you have slightly different interpretations if them

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

It actually shows they went into this with an open mind, and adjusted to who they thought was the best candidate at the end of the day.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Also Grifol checks all those boxes if you have slightly different interpretations if them

He comes from a winning organization? Recent World Series experience? (I wouldn’t say 8 years ago was recent). He isn’t a first time manager?

• TLR 1

You did good Pop. You did real good.

No Norman Dale (old guy with prior success) today. What I’ve read of Grifol I like.

Katz staying and everyone else (hopefully) going makes this an excellent day.

For the first time in two years, I’m not embarrassed being raised a White Sox fan.

Hope Espada also gets promoted this off-season or after one more year of Dusty. He also deserves a chance.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

23 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Recent World Series experience

Ties to winning organization

Not a first time manager

Anymore Hahn lies? 

No reason to even interview anyone if just hiring based on a checklist. While Hahn should learn to say nothing prior to the hiring process it would be pretty disappointing if the interview process didn't outweigh the checklist.

• Like 1

Part of the reason why I wanted Long is he has the public speaking part of the job down pat. The manager position is the face and voice of the team. I’ve listened to some Grifol interviews now, and he’s every bit as good as Kevin Long in that aspect. Very likable. I’m sure Chris Getz had a lot of input in getting him hired. I like the hire way more now. 

• Hawk 1

2 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Is there a window anymore? Or are they waiving the White Flag with this hire and starting another rebuild. Another potential reason for not having Sox Fest?

No there isn't a window any more. The Sox have been playing .500 for 1.5 years now. I know people some times need to be be hit over the head with a brick to believe it but they are officially bland now. (again)

• Like 2

• Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey