Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It actually shows they went into this with an open mind, and adjusted to who they thought was the best candidate at the end of the day.

I just want to know what the tiny quality in Pedro was that Jerry liked, that was held Venn diagram style in common with the good judgment of the Sox baseball people. 

Edited by Chick Mercedes

1 minute ago, Vote4Pedro said:

And didn’t blow anyone else away except for Sox management/ownership 

You can say that about anyone really. Espada didn't blow anyone away. Qyuattro finally blew someone away. This guy sounds good. If Dayton Moore provided the Astros roster, this board would be going crazy over this guy.

2 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Is there a window anymore? Or are they waiving the White Flag with this hire and starting another rebuild. Another potential reason for not having Sox Fest?

If you can get most of the guys playing back to their career norms this team looks a lot more like 2020 and 21, versus 2022.  I don't know if it is enough to over take Cleveland, but depending on what this team does in the next 4 months, I think they can push into the low 90s for wins if the players buy in and we have a good winter.

I am glad that talking heads on Twitter were wrong again and that their “reporting” was nothing more than a waste of time.

I don’t have much to go off of when it comes to hiring Pedro Grifol. The positives include that he seems to understand analytics, he comes from a division opponent that has kicked our ass from time to time, he will get input on a new coaching staff and they didn’t hire someone from within or with ties to the organization. The negative comes from the fact that they didn’t hire someone with recent post season experience. I would have liked to know why they didn’t hire Espada, Mendoza or Long. But that point is moot now.

The success of his managerial career depends on reshaping this roster.

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, flavum said:

Are people really disliking this guy already, or are they just serial complainers? He’s a qualified manager who has been on a winning staff. I’m sold he’s going to be better than what we’ve had since “Good Ozzie”. 

Look, I have been about as pissy as it gets for the last two seasons, but this is a legitimate break from what we have seen for the last two years.  If that doesn't make you feel a bit better, you are probably rooting for the wrong team as it might never be better than this.  I mean this could legitimately be the high water mark for the Pedro Grifol era, but it is a big step up in the world from the TLR era.q

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, flavum said:

Are people really disliking this guy already, or are they just serial complainers? He’s a qualified manager who has been on a winning staff. I’m sold he’s going to be better than what we’ve had since “Good Ozzie”. 

The royals haven’t had a winning record since 2015. 

• Thanks 1

Cons: Royals org

Pro: His analytics stance, his non-Menechinan home run stance, Spanish-speaking, bringing an experienced manager as a bench coach, canning the non-Katz staff.

I'm cool with it for now. Feeling a lot better than I was before, even if it is just snippets people are dumping in here to hype him up.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Except for the fact the sox have a tiny analytics department and invest poorly there and rick hahn and company were recently offering 65k for a Data engineer. 

Listening to analytics is good, assuming you have good analytics to listen too.

BINGO. Sox always late to the party and don't bring a bottle for the hosts. Let's hire an analytics minded guy right after they ban the shift ! Ok I know there are a lot of other analytics out there but just another one of those seeds of failure planted long ago that doomed the rebuild.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Cons: Royals org

Pro: His analytics stance, his non-Menechinan home run stance, Spanish-speaking, bringing an experienced manager as a bench coach, canning the non-Katz staff.

I'm cool with it for now. Feeling a lot better than I was before, even if it is just snippets people are dumping in here to hype him up.

Frank is going to go, but I don't know if the lack of HR was really his philosophy or Tony's. Its what Tony told Pujols as a young player. Apparently, Tony thinks everyone can be like him. Yes, it's damning Frank was the coach with the singles teams with 2 organizations, but he also was the hitting coach when Stanton hit 59 and Ozuna hit 37, and the 2020 White Sox were cranking them out like nobody's business.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey