Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

2 hours ago, fathom said:

You would think certain accounts would get one right just by purely guessing. I could say right now “sources tell me Benintendi is Sox main focus in free agency” as a guess and if it’s right, would brag how I was correct.

I don't know if u are using Benintendi as an example or if that's what you heard . I figured Nimmo was out of their price range and Conforto's situation is too strange and that Benintendi could be the one they settled on.

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Also note there's a good chance Grifol would be the Tigers manager right now if not for La Russa. He was a finalist for the job then the Sox passed on Hinch and the Tigers got him.

This. Detroit could not pass on Hinch. I have some people that I trust in the Royals organization. They were sure they were losing him in 2020. When Detroit picked Hinch, the Royals gave Grifol a substantial raise to keep him on the bench. Once Dayton Moore got fired, the Royals were committed to let Picollo go outside the organization for his first hire. They STILL wanted Grifol as their bench coach, but certainly weren't going to stand in his way to get the Sox job. And before we $hit all over the Royals organization, they've been to and won a WS far more recently than the Sox.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't know if u are using Benintendi as an example or if that's what you heard . I figured Nimmo was out of their price range and Conforto's situation is too strange and that Benintendi could be the one they settled on.

Example

• Like 1

I feel much better now having read through this thread.  I'm still leery of this clown shoes org getting a hire right, but Grifol looks like a much more qualified and legit candidate than I initially thought.  I do like the addition of Montoyo too.  Hopefully we soon say goodbye to Menechino, McEwing, and Boston next.  Very interested in who the hitting coach will be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Heard back from a source just now asking for more info on Pedro:

I was hung up on the KC thing until I thought about the Rays hiring Kevin Cash and barely considering Dave Martinez. that's worked out well for everyone. 

I like that Grifol has worn a lot of hats. Charlie Montoyo as bench coach will be good. He got mircomanaged in Toronto and will feel liberated. 

I'm OK with bringing back Katz, albeit for only one year to see if he can get Giolito back to normal. 

No matter how well Grifol interviewed, it couldn't hurt he coached Getz and played with Mike Shirley. 

And there's the 2nd thing I was looking for, his connection to Getz . Surprised it took this long for more than just a casual mention of Getz.

Just now, DirtySox said:

So am I supposed to be reading anything into NBB's tweet on the hitting coach? Long wouldn't be in play for that would he?

I thought the same thing, but then was like.....why?  

Would be awfully neat, but have a hard time understanding how that is possible unless he just hates Philly.

Just now, DirtySox said:

So am I supposed to be reading anything into NBB's tweet on the hitting coach? Long wouldn't be in play for that would he?

That would be a lateral move, right?  Unless he's not under contract next season it would seem like an odd move.  Makes me wonder if it is someone from the Phillies org though.  Hard to know who Grifol has ties to as well.

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Who is NBB?  What was the twat?

Northbrook Bob.  Some twitter guy with like 400 followers that is quite confident he has all the sources.  He's definitely been right on some stuff, but also stays generic enough that he could be full of s%*#.  He also claims he's a CPA somehow affiliated with the Sox, and how the Sox allow that guy to spill the beans on twitter just seems....unlikely.

Definitely a take it for what its wroth situation.  Seems he at least hears some things, but he wasn't saying Grifol was the guy before it broke.  He did however keep saying Espada was out and Ozzie wasn't the guy.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Northbrook Bob.  Some twitter guy with like 400 followers that is quite confident he has all the sources.  He's definitely been right on some stuff, but also stays generic enough that he could be full of s%*#.  He also claims he's a CPA somehow affiliated with the Sox, and how the Sox allow that guy to spill the beans on twitter just seems....unlikely.

Definitely a take it for what its wroth situation.  Seems he at least hears some things, but he wasn't saying Grifol was the guy before it broke.  He did however keep saying Espada was out and Ozzie wasn't the guy.  

I thought Eloy vs Wall account was the CPA but maybe both are?

Just now, maloney.adam said:

I thought Eloy vs Wall account was the CPA but maybe both are?

Could be.  They're just an echo chamber between the two and I take their stuff with a giant grain of salt, so could have the exact story backwards.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Eloy's best case scenario is 2019 Soler. 

I disagree. If you're just referring to him staying healthy, then sure. But even 2022 Jimenez (when healthy) was better (144 wRC+) than 2019 Soler (136 wRC+).

I'd love to see Eloy hit 48 homers, but he's a much better contact hitter than even peak Soler, so the "best case scenario" for Jimenez probably has him hitting .300 or better in addition to massive power output

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Go back and watch Giolito on the Chris Rose podcast last week.  It’s embarrassing to hear how complacent the team was.

Just went and found this itnerview.  Here is the link:

This interview is Exhibit A why I would never trade Gio this offseason.  Dude is on a mission.  He's going to have a huge season.   

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey