Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Just went and found this itnerview.  Here is the link:

This interview is Exhibit A why I would never trade Gio this offseason.  Dude is on a mission.  He's going to have a huge season.   

Lucas was the King of the BEST SHAPE OF HIS LIFE fluff pieces this winter.  He gained all of that muscle, and it was going to carry him through to the post season blah, blah, blah.  Then he fell apart.

• Fire 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Lucas as the King of the BEST SHAPE OF HIS LIFE fluff pieces this winter.  He gained all of that muscle, and it was going to carry him through to the post season blah, blah, blah.  Then he fell apart.

In fairness didn’t he get Covid twice 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Lucas was the King of the BEST SHAPE OF HIS LIFE fluff pieces this winter.  He gained all of that muscle, and it was going to carry him through to the post season blah, blah, blah.  Then he fell apart.

And he's a guy that cares deeply about his performance, his future earning and is absolutely digusted with his 2022.  He's back in the lab figuring it out.  Not a guy I am betting against in a year heading into FA, especially not at his lowest value.   

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

And he's a guy that cares deeply about his performance, his future earning and is absolutely digusted with his 2022.  He's back in the lab figuring it out.  Not a guy I am betting against in a year heading into FA, especially not at his lowest value.   

Or, maybe like Eloy and Yoan, he is in shape, but not the right shape.  It will be an interesting winter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No there isn't a window any more. The Sox have been playing .500 for 1.5 years now. I know people some times need to be be hit over the head with a brick to believe it but they are officially bland now. (again)

It was an awesome rebuild. Stupendous. I do like managers named Pedro though.

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

His fastball dropped by 1.5 mph last year, going down to where it was in 2018, while his spin rates were also down. Fixing the spin rates without cheating may be doable, we're seeing spin rates go back up around the league now - whether that's cheating or not we don't know but it is happening. Getting that velocity back might be tough.

39 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I disagree. If you're just referring to him staying healthy, then sure. But even 2022 Jimenez (when healthy) was better (144 wRC+) than 2019 Soler (136 wRC+).

I'd love to see Eloy hit 48 homers, but he's a much better contact hitter than even peak Soler, so the "best case scenario" for Jimenez probably has him hitting .300 or better in addition to massive power output

We COULD use another Frank Thomas...

24 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Royals would not hire Grifol, should tell you something. I don’t like this at all.

You mean the organization who has had 10 managers in 30 years, only 1 of which finished with a winning record overall (by 9 games no less)?

We definitely should be concerned that they didn't want Grifol, they've been great at picking managers.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Royals would not hire Grifol, should tell you something. I don’t like this at all.

Royals have new management, and they had ties with Quatraro.  The Royals not hiring Grifol tells me only that they wanted Quartaro.  It tells me nothing about Grifol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

The Royals have a new owner with ties to both Tampa Bay and Cleveland. He hired a manager with ties to both of those places.

I wouldn’t read much into that. 

• Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey